JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah waht the guy in the video is saying is true, and this is a great and simple way of doing it.
Note what he said about the store bought filters especially the charcoal based ones, I have found this to be true in using store bought filters, Personally a stream like the one shown in the background in this video, i would trust this method.

These "filters" will do absolutely nothing to eliminate bacteria and viruses on the micron scale. I would be highly suspect of this method and would never use it under any circumstances where there was any possibility of water contamination. The only surefire way to kill all viral and bacteriological content is by boiling, chemical treatment (iodine tincture, etc.), or by using some type of reverse-osmosis or distillation method. This sand "filter" method is sometimes used as a pre-filter in treatment plants to sift out large amounts of turbidity but is NEVER a sufficient stand-alone method of water filtration. This hillbilly's advice could really harm people. Boil your water, people.

Well, I guess if you don't have the tablets, chemicals or the ability to boil the water then just die of thirst.

Lets see. Survival, lost in the wilderness, nothing to make stream water as safe as spendolla would like it. Hmmmm, ?

All of the techniques outlined in the above videos are contingent upon finding a discarded plastic bottle with which to make the sand "filter". If you can find a plastic bottle, odds are probably pretty good that you can find a tin can somewhere too. A tin can can be an absolute life saver in such a situation. If you have a tin can and a way to light a fire, then you have potable water. If you have a plastic bottle and a sand "filter" then you have slightly less cloudy water that's still potentially contaminated with any number of nasty pathogens. To make the sand filter as shown in the videos, one needs to cut the bottom off of the plastic bottle which would necessitate the use of a knife. My point is not that one should die of thirst rather than drink contaminated water--by all means, if I'm lost in the woods with no way to purify water, then I will end up drinking whatever I've got. However, with a knife, and a tin can, one would be much better served starting a fire and forgetting about making a sand filter. It's not going to remove anything that poses any real threat to you, so on its own, it's pretty useless. These sand filters really only have utility as a method of removing suspended organic matter prior to disinfecting the water. As such, they can be useful. Sorry if my last post was taken as an affront, but I simply didn't want people getting the impression (as these videos seem to imply) that the sand filter method is safe for decontaminating bad water, because it isn't.

Living in the city and not having access to fresh creek water really sucks. A neighbor has a well, but it is electrically powered. I am talking him into making it manual/pump somehow.

Well when crap happens you work with you have, you improvise and sometimes you just take chances, If I have to use a 1/2 arse system vs going into full blown dehydration and then death I am going to use a 1/2 arse system.

Just like they did in the old days.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads