JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
After a week, nobody has bought this yet? $800 is a reasonably price these days, and judging from the pics this one looks to be in particularly nice shape.

Keith

After a week, nobody has bought this yet? $800 is a reasonably price these days, and judging from the pics this one looks to be in particularly nice shape.

Keith

Thanks Keith! Compared to other ones I have seen, mine seems to be in the best shape so far. There is no pitting in the receiver, bolt. The wood is in excellent shape. The trigger grooves show almost no wear. I've taken the best care that I can of the rifle. Especially for being over 103 years old! Just need to get a tractor here soon before the snow falls. Anyone want to make an offer?? :) Thanks again

I'm not an '03 collector or I'd be all over this (plus I'm getting a Mosin sniper in December). I have an '03 Mk1 and at this time that's probably enough (too much rifle appetite with too little money to satisfy it).

Taking the leap that the name 'Rocketmann' might show an interest in astronomy, would you like to trade for a 12" dobsonian telescope with Swayze-figured mirror? I know its not a tractor, but...:eek:

Keith

Thanks! but no thanks keith. Rocketman was an old call sign I used to go by. Had it forever. I'm looking for a tractor if someones got one with a loader? That'd be nice. LOL. My quad just doesnt plow 4 feet of snow well. :) Wouldn't hurt to offer any trades, or just plain cash-ola. 799 is a good price for a 103 year old 30-06.

I have 2 1903s....The issue is with low SN 1903s....These were not properly heat treated and may Kaboom if fired. ODCMP.com states low sn 1903s should not be fired. The Rock Islands are considered low SN if below 286XXX or so...So if buying this it should just be displayed and not fired.....So....for $799 that's a lot for a gun that should not be fired.....

I recently paid nearly $1000 for an A3 1903 (that's the one with the peep) as trhe barrel and stocks looked excellent....and had a high SN so can be safely shot.....

For Sale: Rock Island Arsenal 1903. SN 40,XXX. Made in 1906. Rebarrelled with Springfield Armory barrell in 8-1944. Stamping suggests it was also rebuilt at the Augusta Arsenal. Excellent bore and stock. Overall an excellent gun. I've put only ten rounds through it. Unknown how many before it. 1903's with much higher sn's have been going for over $1,000. I'm looking to get $799 or best offer. If interested give me a call at 360-608-5375. Thank you for your time. ~ Brandon :s0155:

Now enteraining trade offers? What ya got????

It is suggested that you do not fire them, but..... Out of the 285,506 Rock Island Arsenal rifles produced that are said to not be safe to fire, only 7.7/100,000 failed, and there were no recorded receiver failures of rifles manufactured for five of those 11 years (1905-6, 1913-14, and 1917) and mine was manufactured in 1906. Most of the failures occurred because of bad ammunition. I've personally shot this rifle and feel 100% safe with it. This rifle should not be a wall hanger. If this one fails you should probably go and get a lottery ticket cause you probably the next winner. :) :)

Source for more information: http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Thanks, Rocketman-I didn't know the failure rate was that low.

I am sure the CMP is trying to distance themselves re: liability-I think the risk of being murdered in an urban center in the USA is 1 in 20,000 or so (and about the same getting killed in an MVA) so odds are, it is far more dangerous driving to the range than shooting this it seems-especially as a burst receiver is likely to hurt rather than kill- (when you visit the ODCMP.com they just say "CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”."

It is suggested that you do not fire them, but..... Out of the 285,506 Rock Island Arsenal rifles produced that are said to not be safe to fire, only 7.7/100,000 failed, and there were no recorded receiver failures of rifles manufactured for five of those 11 years (1905-6, 1913-14, and 1917) and mine was manufactured in 1906. Most of the failures occurred because of bad ammunition. I've personally shot this rifle and feel 100% safe with it. This rifle should not be a wall hanger. If this one fails you should probably go and get a lottery ticket cause you probably the next winner. :) :)

Source for more information: http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Stupid questions...

If this rifle was rebarrelled in August of '44 doesn't this mean that the rifle was shot successfully enough (without catastrophic failure) to warrant a new barrel?

Didn't rearsenalling also involve a proper re-annealing of the receiver? I though I read that somewhere.

$500...yikes :eek:

Keith

1. I would believe that you are correct on the barrell.

2. I cannot find anything that says that they would of annealed the receiver. Not sure if they would of or not. Still a great 103 year old war horse for $500 cash. I'll meet anyone in the portland metro area if they want to put an offer on it.

Cabella's has one now for $999 in Lacey: <broken link removed> - Very similar to mine

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.