JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals. Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent.."
Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state .. it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

" America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

This makes sense! There is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns. Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way.

" I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. "
James Madison

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state .. it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

===========================================================

Not for nothing, but I understand you don't need a permit to carry concealed in Alaska either.

i live in vermont and it's true you can wear a gun , i do all the time. i think most vermonters have secont thoughs on crime (to rob a store or some one on the street) they could get shot.

i live in vermont and it's true you can wear a gun , i do all the time. i think most vermonters have secont thoughs on crime (to rob a store or some one on the street) they could get shot.

In 2006 they were ranked #48 in crime, one of the lowest states in crime rate. I wonder if there is a connection?

<broken link removed>

===========================================================

Not for nothing, but I understand you don't need a permit to carry concealed in Alaska either.

I ran this by a friend of mine who is from Alaska, and spent most of his adult life there. He said that it is true, you can concealed carry without permit in most of the state, but that to enter urban ares with a concealed firearm you must have a valid CHL from any state including Alaska.

This is more a nod to practicality than a freedom thing. There are precious few wild spaces I'll go into without a firearm. And for a fair portion of the year you simply can't go out without heavy garments. Thus it made no sense for them to restrict concealed carry in most areas.

However the cities don't have the same problem with wild animals (OK, less of a problem with wild animals), and so they do require a permit there.

He also said that there are only two or three "urban" areas in Alaska. Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Juneau were on the list, but he couldn't remember for sure if you need a permit for all three.

I'd double check it all with the Alaskan Attorney General just to be safe though.

Last Edited:
As a many-year ALaskan, I can confirm you need no permit to conceal a weapon in Alaska.

Also, open carrying is quite popular anywhere outside of downtown Anchorage. And "Open Carry" doesnt mean some little 9mm auto... it means you have a 44mag on your hip.

On a related subject I had never seen, outside of a gun store, an automatic handgun in Alaska. Only metric loads of large revolvers, bolt guns, and lever actions.

You may want to look this up, but I believe, while I lived there, that the town of North Pole, ALaska voted on a law to require every household to have a firearms. It wasn't voted in... but it made it as far as the ballot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top