JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any idea on a realistic value for this? I have been wanting to add one to the collection and I have an opportunity to snag one. This thing is unfired and in perfect condition. All original and unfortunately no box.

Thank you

Just after a quick look ...
Collectors Firearms has a Colt Detective Special from 1974.
Excellent condition and no box $899.95

Not having seen one for sale in a long time , I have no idea if this is a good , bad or ugly price.
Andy

Just after a quick look ...
Collectors Firearms has a Colt Detective Special from 1974.
Excellent condition and no box $899.95

Not having seen one for sale in a long time , I have no idea if this is a good , bad or ugly price.
Andy
Thank you. The one I am looking at is a little less than that. My other concern other than price is will the lack of box affect future appreciation of value? It is so beautiful I imagine it will remain unfired by me....

That is a call that only you can make.
I have more than few guns that I won't shoot ... granted they are antiques , but money is money whether its a gun from 1975 or 1775.

They are a neat gun and it should make a good shooter.
Are you a collector or a shooter?
What will this gun add or bring to your collection?
Andy
Yeah that was my thought as well. My dilemma is do I want to invest that much into a firearm that I cannot shoot... :(

I agree. I am both a collector and a shooter. I have wanted one of these for several years and would really like a shooter, however this one is so nice and I cannot in good conscience fire this 32 year old virgin beauty. Decisions decisions...

Yeah that was my thought as well. My dilemma is do I want to invest that much into a firearm that I cannot shoot... :(

Now that is another thing. Some love "collectible" and if that's your thing, great. It has never been mine but that's me. When I buy a any gun I shoot it. I did many years ago end up with one of those Mod.29's in the wood box, unfired and all. Not a wheel gun man, NOT into collectibles but price was just too damn good. It sat around for a while and bothered me so much I had to go find a "beater" one I could shoot. :D Eventually at a show someone saw the boxed one and just HAD to have it. He had to have it so bad he started peeling off enough bills that I let him take it home. :eek:
For those who enjoy collecting there is certainly nothing wrong with it. If it brings you joy it's your money. I can't see you ever really taking a real loss on it. If something ever came up where you needed the money in it you could certainly find a buyer who would love to take it off your hands. It of course may not bring any profit but if you enjoy having it? Why the hell not?:cool: Can't see you taking a real hit on the money if you ever had to sell.

Often the best profit comes from enjoying what you have.
Andy

Back when I was doing the shows and would make a good score that always made me smile big.:D I used to regularly go through a couple pawn shops so they knew me. Always looking for GI Issue 1911's. One day one of the owners sees me said he had one. Hands me a 1911 in GREAT shape but it was a commercial model. When I showed him the difference I did notice the damn thing was old by the Serial #. At that time a NIB 70 Series was in the $400 range. They wanted 3 for it. I acted un interested but offered 250 he jumped on it. Must have given some poor guy half that in pawn on it. Looked it up when I went home it was from the mid 30's. Next show some guy spotted it and just had to have it. So bad he paid me several times what I paid. When I got home I told the Wife, dinner on me at your choice of restaurants.

Picked her up today. She is a BEAUTY!!

The pictures I am able to take with my phone do it NO justice.

IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1698.JPG

I'm late to the party but I bought a fired gun like this for $600 a few years back and was very happy.
Then of course just had to have something else and sold it for $600 very easily a few months later.
Great purchase on your part.

I'm late to the party but I bought a fired gun like this for $600 a few years back and was very happy.
Then of course just had to have something else and sold it for $600 very easily a few months later.
Great purchase on your part.
Thank you. It will be hard NOT to shoot it, but at this point it goes in the safe and will remain a virgin.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top