JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will get pics up today.. it is US Property marked Savage and in very good condition with two groove (wartime) barrel with some light pitting, strong lands and grooves (2 groove barrel) and still bright.. fore end is a little loose and could use some bedding.. nice wood and an unusual cartouche.

I suspect it has more dry firing or blank firing than real shooting

Looking for cash and or a table router/bits and a good planer that can do up to 12 inches and yes I will place the ad in the right place, just wanted your opinions on it's value :cool:

OK, pics here and any help on it's current value would be appreciated, it's a 1942

There is some light finish wear and any darkness or dirty looks is just dried oil as it has been sleeping in my heated safe for many years, no rust!
I airbrushed over the serial number but it's nice and crisp

The forearms has a little wiggle and needs some glassing but it's solid

Top of front site.. the dark stuff is dried Breakfree Collectors

<broken link removed>

Nice crisp markings and nice original mag

I should clean it but I am lazy today

The rear ladder sight is in choice condition

The bore is in better shape than I remembered.. it was another of my Enfields that has a dark bore, an Aussie

The wood is beautiful Birch and only has a few tiny scratches .. this cartouche is Middle Eastern but from where?

Last pic, a live round inserted in the muzzle to demonstrate that it's still pretty nice

That looks like it's pretty nice. Don't sweat too much the looseness of the hand guards. In my opinion, the rifle has more value if it has the multi-groove barrel (5?) than the 2 groove.
But I'd guess this is a $250 to maybe $300 rifle maybe a little more. I had a pretty nice #4 that I sold a couple of years ago for $225. I've seen them advertised for as much as $400 or slightly better, but I don't see those selling.

Thinking you rifle has been in service in Egypt from the round brass thingy screwed to the stock.

I sold a No4 Mk1 1943 Malby this year for 375. Mine was NON IMPORT MARKED and ALL matching numbers including the magazine. The only thing not original to the rifle was the front top wood handgaurd.

I don't know what yours is worth. Is it chambered in 303, import marked and have an FTR?

All Savage No4's from that time period should have a 2 groove barrel. The 2 groove has proven to shoot as well as the other barrels Enfields used. The fore-end is fit at two locations, the receiver stays/front trigger guard screw. The front of the fore-end should apply upward pressure to the barrel. Some movement is normal.

The good.
33C98XX built summer of 1942.
Appears to retain many S marked small parts.
Rare "trials rifle" fore-end with the low shelf for a magazine cutoff. (to bad it's sanded) In original condition the fore-end could bring $150 from the right collector.

The unknown
Are the bolt and receiver #'s matched?
Head space?
Bolt head #?

The bad
The furniture has been heavily sanded.

Dunno about head space but with the muzzle and bore so nice it's probably good. The only markings on the bolt are:

AND

Thinking two fifty might be a bit optimistic, thinking I wouldn't turn down two hundred.
My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

The number to look for on the bolt head will be a zero, one, two, three or four.

The back side of the bolt handle should have the matching serial number. Different number bolt heads are for changing head space. If you have a 0, 1 or 2 bolt head means you have more adjustment available with a 3 or 4 bolt head.

If you clean up the furniture and get some blo on it, take some good clear photo's, it may bring north of $250 on Gunbroker. The Savage made N04's are bringing a premium now days.