JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have my Oregon CCL and want to apply for Utah one as well so I have more places that I can carry. Any tips in applying? It also mentioned that I need a "firearms familiarity course certified by BCI." - is this something I can do in Oregon?

You can sign up for a class with a certified instructor. Usually they will, at the completion of the class, give you the application signed by them. You then go to a place where you can get passport photos and Fingerprint card and then put it all in an envelope and mail to Utah. I did the Oregon+Utah combo class and it was around $110 in Clackamas. Just Utah class is probably $60-70 I would say and you have to do it so the instructor can sign your application.

As @PhillipeC said...some of us in Oregon that are certified provide the fingerprinting and photos while at the course so you leave with basically everything you need to apply. The instructor should (must) have a red stamp from Utah that he/she will place on your application. We are givers so we even provide the envelope with postage. :cool:

The process with Utah is easy and they are good folks to work with. They actually work within their required deadlines. Novel concept.

The class offered by SafeFire provides everything you need. Photo, fingerprint card, properly endorsed application, addressed envelope. They even photocopy your DL and CPL for you, since those items are also required as part of the application package.

I have heard conflicting reports. Does an Oregon resident with an out of stat Utah permit allow for concealed carry in Washington currently?

This page seems to indicate it does not, but I am not sure what "provisional" means: https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol-license-reciprocity

1679061883837.png

1679061959359.png

OK, so looking at the Utah website, the "provisional" permit is specifically for people between 18-20 years old and is a separate permit from the "normal" CCW license that issue. So a regular Utah permit should be good to go, correct?

Last Edited:
I have heard conflicting reports. Does an Oregon resident with an out of stat Utah permit allow for concealed carry in Washington currently?

This page seems to indicate it does not, but I am not sure what "provisional" means: https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol-license-reciprocity

View attachment 1385520

View attachment 1385522

OK, so looking at the Utah website, the "provisional" permit is specifically for people between 18-20 years old and is a separate permit from the "normal" CCW license that issue. So a regular Utah permit should be good to go, correct?

That is my understanding.

is this something I can do in Oregon?
UT BCI has a list of instructors on their website. My UT CCL experience back in 2020 was proof of a class (half-day), application with fingerprints, copy of OR CHL, and $ fee and then received the permit +1month later.

The only hang up I could think of was finding an instructor/class that was on the list of "Certified Concealed Firearms Instructors". Good luck. It's worth getting if you travel.

My understanding is that reciprocity is determined by WA law and interpreted by the WA State Attorney's office. Therefore I worry that the official MOUs between states might change without my being aware.

If you live in the PDX metro area but travel to/through Washington regularly, I'd suggest getting your WA CPL (in addition to UT). It's a small/moderate investment ($50/5 years) but simplifies explaining resident/non-resident if ever officially questioned about concealed while in Washington. (Check out Vancouver PD for the permit application)

UT BCI has a list of instructors on their website. My UT CCL experience back in 2020 was proof of a class (half-day), application with fingerprints, copy of OR CHL, and $ fee and then received the permit +1month later.

The only hang up I could think of was finding an instructor/class that was on the list of "Certified Concealed Firearms Instructors". Good luck. It's worth getting if you travel.

My understanding is that reciprocity is determined by WA law and interpreted by the WA State Attorney's office. Therefore I worry that the official MOUs between states might change without my being aware.

If you live in the PDX metro area but travel to/through Washington regularly, I'd suggest getting your WA CPL (in addition to UT). It's a small/moderate investment ($50/5 years) but simplifies explaining resident/non-resident if ever officially questioned about concealed while in Washington. (Check out Vancouver PD for the permit application)
Good tip. I am up in Washington enough where it probably makes sence to just get a non-resident permit. Thanks.

As @PhillipeC said...some of us in Oregon that are certified provide the fingerprinting and photos while at the course so you leave with basically everything you need to apply. The instructor should (must) have a red stamp from Utah that he/she will place on your application. We are givers so we even provide the envelope with postage. :cool:

The process with Utah is easy and they are good folks to work with. They actually work within their required deadlines. Novel concept.
Who do you work for? :)

Reading the laws, it seems like I can use my CCL in Utah and Arizona already and those are the states where I would like to visit (for hiking, camping etc). So maybe I do not need one after all (though the Washington part is really good to have).

Reading the laws, it seems like I can use my CCL in Utah and Arizona already and those are the states where I would like to visit (for hiking, camping etc). So maybe I do not need one after all (though the Washington part is really good to have).
I don't believe any state honors Oregons CHL, because Oregon doesn't honor any other. Lack of reciprocity.

It's been a bit since I've checked, so. Certainly could be mistaken…

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top