Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

USPSA Training Classes

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by PiratePast40, Jul 12, 2015.

1. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Keith Tyler is offering a series of training classes at ARPC over the next few weeks. I've been looking for some affordable , focused training, and hoping this is just what I'm looking for. I've met Keith a few times at matches, and he seems to really know his stuff and be a decent guy. I don't work for him and don't mean to be advertising for him, but also know that if we don't support these efforts, they'll go away. I haven't taken a class yet but am looking forward to it and wanted others to know that it's out there. It runs $200 for an 8 hour class.

Here's a link to his web site: http://www.tylerfirearmsinstruction.net/Default.aspx

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Eugene Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing.
    always wanted to get involved in competitive shooting now I can take a class that will teach me what I need to know for doing that.

3. PiratePast40

I don't think that the purpose of the class is for USPSA intro. From my understanding, it's more about marksmanship and gun handling as it relates to pistol competition. But there is a USPSA introduction class every month at ARPC. It's usually the first Saturday so you can compete the following week: http://arpc.info/cgi/calendar.pl?month=8. Not sure about other clubs, but there is a requirement at ARPC to take the course before competing. The purpose of that course is to introduce you to the sport, and especially the safety rules and practices. USPSA involves drawing from a holster, as well as quite a bit of movement. The movement includes turning and running while shooting, so it's important that you fully understand how to do this safely before you actually do this under stress in competition.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. ConcreteJungle

that's what I'm after, marksmanship and gun control as it relates to competitive shooting. I'd rather take a class to give me the knowledge to apply in a competitive shooting setting instead of showing up to an event and trying to sink or swim.

5. PiratePast40

Hope to see you there. I'll be the guy that misses - a lot! :D:D:D

ConcreteJungle likes this.
  6. ConcreteJungle

We'll be missing together. LOL
    I'll try to make it out here but not 100% yet. Might be taking my new rifle out for a spin this upcoming weekend. :)

7. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Sounds like a great deal. Where is this located?

8. ConcreteJungle

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club
    29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377

9. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Figures, 500+ miles round trip :(

10. ConcreteJungle

Well...if you decide to take the class and still have any of that 9mm left over, let me know. ;)

11. PiratePast40

Shoot Keith an email. If you can get enough people together, you may be able to talk him into giving some classes near you. Won't know if you don't ask him.

IronMonster likes this.
  12. PiratePast40

I'm signed up for the one on July 26th.

13. PiratePast40

Talked to Keith yesterday and there are still a few slots open for the class next Sunday.

14. PiratePast40

Attended the Handgun 1 class today. Keith is very professional and his experience as an instructor shows from the very start. The course is fast paced enough to get past the basics but also builds on and reinforces each step. It's one of the few courses where you want to stay longer and practice your improved skills even more. It's a full day of focused instruction with built in reviews and critiques so you have the chance to absorb and analyze what you've learned. Keith makes it very clear that you need to practice these skills and gives you the background to build your own sessions based on your skillset and what you want to achieve. If you have a desire to improve your competition skills, this is a great course.