JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I, or rather on of the companies I've formed, is already 01FFL (dealer) licensed. The thought, for a variety of reasons, has crossed my mind to upgrade to type 07/02 (manufacturer) license. The price difference for the license is irrelevant. ITAR is a royal PITA, but I can still roll with it, if need be.

Question: what paperwork do I need to fill to upgrade? Or do I have to start from the beginning and run through the bureaucratic spanking-machine I already navigated to get licensed to deal?

(I have this on the list to thoroughly research tomorrow, including if need be, reaching out to my ATF contact in the Portlandia office. But I figured I'd toss it out there.)

Was the original spanking machine really that bad? I have read it really isn't that difficult of a process.

I would like to see a lot more people preserve their gun use freedoms and make some extra $ by acquiring 01 FFL. Most of the weapons restriction laws seem to exempt FFLs.

And since this always comes up. I get it, FFL is for business use but you can't ignore freedom perks that come with it.

Last Edited:
I am looking to do the same and when I contacted the ATF I was told that basically you are filing for a new license, so starting from scratch. Although, since I already have a 01 that I do not need to send finger prints or pictures and a good chance they will not come back out for the "interview".

I am looking to do the same and when I contacted the ATF I was told that basically you are filing for a new license, so starting from scratch. Although, since I already have a 01 that I do not need to send finger prints or pictures and a good chance they will not come back out for the "interview".
Did you find that is was a terribly difficult process to get your 01 FFL?

Was the original spanking machine really that bad? I have read it really isn't that difficult of a process.

Honestly, no, it wasn't that bad at all. I was mainly joking with that statement. From beginning to end, it was about three months. The ATF portion was easy-peasy. Working with local, state, and other government agencies yielded more headache. The worst of which was getting USPS to understand their own damn regulations concerning FFLs sending/receiving.

Thanks. That is my understanding too. I can add a SOT to deal in NFA items, but manufacturing is different ball of wax.

No, it was pretty simple, took a few months from start to finish and most of that is you getting your initial paperwork done and sent in then playing the waiting game.
If you are familiar with the recent gun restriction legislation that's been proposed would you say that you will be pretty well insulated from the restrictions regarding your personal use of your inventory?

If you are familiar with the recent gun restriction legislation that's been proposed would you say that you will be pretty well insulated from the restrictions regarding your personal use of your inventory?

One really bad thing about SB501 is it requires disposition of any magazine with a capacity over 5 rounds. Bizarrely, if you want to transfer it to an FFL, it has to be one not in Oregon.* The heinous IP-43 at least allowed transfer to an FFL in Oregon.

* Bottom of page three:

(b) Transfer or sell the magazine to a gun dealer out of state;

That, and many other questions, are still up in the air. I have spoken with many other dealers and shop owners and everyone seems to be in the dark, with regards to the new legislation that passed here in WA.

One really bad thing about SB501 is it requires disposition of any magazine with a capacity over 5 rounds. Bizarrely, if you want to transfer it to an FFL, it has to be one not in Oregon.* The heinous IP-43 at least allowed transfer to an FFL in Oregon.

* Bottom of page three:

As an FFL couldn't you still buy them from normal sources to sell to LEO and other exempt buyers. And if you had them in your inventory couldn't you use/test/demo them as you saw fit?

As an FFL couldn't you still buy them from normal sources to sell to LEO and other exempt buyers. And if you had them in your inventory couldn't you use/test/demo them as you saw fit?

I honestly don't know. SB501, in addition to being grossly unconstitutional, is so poorly written, it is hard to say.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top