Unknown rifle magazine

Reactions
I inherited this 7.62x39 magazine and have no idea what it fits. I appreciate any assistance I get Thanks

View attachment 716246 View attachment 716247
Looks like an SKS magazine with the duckbill cut off, my father had one like that for his Norinco SKS.(ours still had the duckbill)
Ours never worked right, only held about 5-6 rounds but was easily long enough to fit 30 rounds of 7.62x39, would not feed in our Norinco.
I believe these came out before the tapco magazines for SKS.

Reactions
Cobray Zytel, as I recall. They made them with the "duckbill", as well as some without. Those required another piece that was permanently attached to the rifle, that the front of the magazine locked into. They were pretty junky.

Back in the early '90s, prices of AKs were high due to the ban, but SKSs were cheap. I remember seeing crates full at gun shows for $60 each. They were the "poor man's AK", and everyone wanted to doll them up with big mags and plastic stocks for a wannabee AK.

Reactions
Found a pic of one just like the one we used to have. Yours looks like the same but without the duckbill, this one is 40 round, yours would be a 20 or 15 most likely judging by the length. CLT65 is right about them being Zytel, at least they aren't made of Delrin.
sks40rd.jpg

Last edited:

XoXSciFiGuy

Reactions
Found a pic of one just like the one we used to have. Yours looks like the same but without the duckbill, this one is 40 round, yours would be a 20 or 15 most likely judging by the length. CLT65 is right about them being Zytel, at least they aren't made of Delrin.

sks40rd.jpg

Looks like one for a Norinco SKS. Problem with those is that the ammo creates a pretty heavy load and sometimes the SKS can't support it. Especially one with a bit of wear down there where the mag goes in. Might drop out occasionally when you fire a round.

titsonritz

Reactions
Cobray Zytel, as I recall. They made them with the "duckbill", as well as some without. Those required another piece that was permanently attached to the rifle, that the front of the magazine locked into. They were pretty junky.

Back in the early '90s, prices of AKs were high due to the ban, but SKSs were cheap. I remember seeing crates full at gun shows for $60 each. They were the "poor man's AK", and everyone wanted to doll them up with big mags and plastic stocks for a wannabee AK.
View attachment 716425

sks40rd.jpg

Looks like one for a Norinco SKS. Problem with those is that the ammo creates a pretty heavy load and sometimes the SKS can't support it. Especially one with a bit of wear down there where the mag goes in. Might drop out occasionally when you fire a round.
Maybe, I thought about that but I'm not so sure. SKS mags have a locking lug that slopes and then at the bottom has a protruding "tit" (see profile below), the mag in the OP does not appears to have have this, it just slopes with no protrusion (or maybe it is just the angle of the photo.) :s0092:

OP maybe post more pictures looking at the back and front of the mag.

20NEW%20Zytel%20Hi-Cap%20-%2030%20Round%20Magazine.jpg

NEW%20Zytel%20Hi-Cap%20-%2030%20Round%20Magazine_3.jpg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
    • matts
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    First time....
    First time working with a gunsmith but I found Copeland Gunworks to be an awesome husband wife team that worked really fast and things were...
Top Bottom