JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Better than nothing.

Personally, I would prefer an #4 SMLE in 7.62x51, with a short barrel and a Scout Scope. Failing that, an Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51 setup the same way.

I wonder how much it would take to convert the bolt operated FAL to gas operation?

I am guessing there is no gas system, no gas port, so it probably wouldn't be easy.

If the port and block and other parts save the piston are there, then it might be as simple as replacing the bolt carrier and installing a piston.

Both - yes, we know that the gun laws in the entire UK - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, are seriously deficient in common-sense, but the USA has some similarly idiotic laws, as anyone who lives in Maryland [just one example] would tell you.

Anyhow, back to the thing that I was shooting - there is NO gas anything. All that you see is a dummy, solid, one piece appearnace of a gas system. The bolt is nothing at all like the real thing in any way, apart from having dirt clearance grooves. It actually is a cam-locked rotating bolt, more like a Blaser than anything else, and goes a long way to explaining the almost $5000 cost of the thing.

In any case, here in yUK it's not simply a matter of converting it back, you'd have to MAKE it as a semi-auto from scratch, and doing that will get you a 5 -10 stretch. The real thing is not just rare, it is a prohibited weapon, and has been since 1988, when a madman went on a rampage in the town of Hungerford, after slaughtering a young mother in front of her little children in the nearyby Savernake Forest. He went back home shot his mother, set the house on fire, and went on a rampage that ended with another fourteen dead, thirty injured and finally, killed himself. The result? We ALL lost ALL our semi-auto centre-fire rifled firearms - I had seven at that time, too.

Sooooooooooooo, we shoot what we can, and grin and bear it - G*d knows it costs us enough.

Best

tac

I suspected as much regarding the gas system, but I was curious.

I know about the laws, I wasn't suggesting breaking them, just curious whether the laws were without much teeth (regarding the technical aspects of the rifle function) in the event of SHTF scenarios due to the possible ease of conversion - or not.

Personally I would not own such a firearm, not practical for the cost, but I guess some people can afford to spend that kind of money on something that is essentially a replica. I could afford it, but not while getting other more functional firearms and other stuff I want - I just would not want it, so many other guns and toys I would buy first. To each their own.

As you say, Sir, better than nothing at all.

If we could own the real thing, we would. Many of us shooting our pathetic little collections of guns at the range this morning had the real thing before the ban - I had seven semi-autos, including a couple that you may have liked - the H&K PSG-1 and a Walther WA200 in both calibres.

The money my sport cost meant nothing to me, either.

tac

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top