JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
We've dropped the price on this nice gun yet again; it's really a nice piece and would serve someone very well.
I am selling a sporterized U S Model of 1917 30.06 by Remington that has been in the family for years.
M1917 name.jpg
The stock was cleanly cut down, nothing fancy, no checkering. The barrel was cut back including the original front sight. The rear sight, too, was ground off and the receiver finished nicely. It has a Redfield peep sight in the back and a Marble blade front sight on a ramp. The walnut stock was recently refinished with 7 coats of hand-rubber Tru-Oil satin finish and all metal parts finished in a great looking Duracoat finish. It is an attractive, functional gun. The attached pictures present it well.
It shoots very well and far more accurately than I can. Last time I was at a range I offhand shot a 3" group at 50 yards; that's by a 78-year old with cataracts and shaky hands using a peep sight. I suspect younger eyes and steadier hands could better that group handily; as would almost anyone with a scope mounted on it. I won't be hunting it anymore and would like to see it in the hands of someone that will.
I have a plain leather sling that goes with it that is not shown in the pictures.
I would like to get $225 for this fine rifle. I would be pleased to answer any questions. It is also for sale in Oregon and Idaho.
Full gun.jpg Rear sight - side.jpg Left rear quarter view.jpg Rear view of back sight.jpg Right rear view.jpg Left forearm view.jpg Left middle view.jpg partial side view.jpg

Last Edited:
Nice rifle.
How long is the barrel?
Dose it still have any nomenclature on the top at the front?
These are capable of Sub MOA w/ original bbls..

Nice rifle.
How long is the barrel?
Dose it still have any nomenclature on the top at the front?
These are capable of Sub MOA w/ original bbls..

I'm not sure how to exactly measure the barrel, but it is 21 inches from a grove on the front of the receiver to the end of the barrel. Any amount of barrel that screws into the receiver behind that groove would be additive to that.
Any nomenclature on the end of the barrel was on the section cut off to eliminate the original front sight.
The receiver end of the barrel has the bomb stamp and eagle's head stamp, as well as a couple of indistinct markings. The serial number on the receiver indicates it was manufactured in April of 1918.
Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks for the info.
Looks to be done professionally back when they did these right...:)
I am surprised it hasn't sold yet.

Thank you for your observations.
I suspect most hunters are already "gunned up" for this season so I don't have any unrealistic expectations as to time to sell it.

Dan

I hope something like this is available next year. I'm going to need a good hunting rifle for cheap:cool:.

Joe13 -- If you're still in the market (as well as anyone else viewing this message) the gun is now available again. For a number of reasons I did not sell the gun last year. In the meantime I've moved to Bellingham, with all the folderol that entaiiled, so would still like to see the gun in the hands of someone that would hunt it. -Dan

The proper way to measure a barrel is from the Bolt face when closed. Take a wood dowel or cleaning rod that will fit down the barrel until it touches the bolt face mark the rod at the crown and then remove and measure.

I have an Eddystone version of this rifle in an old Fajen stock and yes it is a Sub MOA rifle with handloads.

The proper way to measure a barrel is from the Bolt face when closed. Take a wood dowel or cleaning rod that will fit down the barrel until it touches the bolt face mark the rod at the crown and then remove and measure.

I have an Eddystone version of this rifle in an old Fajen stock and yes it is a Sub MOA rifle with handloads.

Mark, thank you for your insight on measuring the barrel length. Measured in the manner you indicated the barrel is 22" long. This compares to the the original 26" barrel (as researched, since the cut down was done long before the gun came into my posession.)

Well, people.... I guess I was being a little parochial when I posted this gun on Northwest Firearms; first last year then again last month. I got some nice comments and conversations, but no takers. I'm thinking if something doesn't happen soon I'll have to go national with Gunsamerica or GunBroker. So.. if you've been thinking about it don't wait too long or it might be gone.

Last Edited:
how much would you estimate your rifle weighs? Beautiful piece
I just saw your question when I got back in town tonight.

The rifle weighs in at 8.4 pounds. That is down from the 9.3 pounds attributed to the original gun because of the shortening of the barrel, milling off of the rear sights and trimming the stock to its sport configuration.

It's a little heavier than a modern manufactured similar gun with a wood stock. I think this might be because of the beefier receiver they were made with. This is what made them attractive to those who wanted something that could be re-bored to a larger caliber.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Dan

P.S. to everybody... did I mention it comes with a Plano Gun Guard hard-sided carrying case? It does.

DK

Last Edited:
You can make the $275 payment to me via PayPal to [email protected] and let me know the name and address of the FFL dealer you want me to ship it to. When PayPal notifies me of the payment I'll ship it to you in care of the FFL dealer and let you know the tracking number so you can know when it arrives there. Does this work for you?

Dan

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.