JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
without any discourse or plan of what they stand for or educating the populace about same.

That is not even remotely true. We have explained and talked and expounded until we are blue in the face, and nobody on the anti-side GAF. In fact, we receive scorn and get laughed or shouted down. John Lott is right. Everywhere there is a lot of firearms in the hands of good citizens, crime of all kinds decreases. They will deny it and come up with their own stats.They have ignored all logic and explanation and do as they wish. They are winning in the schools and in the media. What is going to happen, WILL happen. But I'm glad that you have hope, I wish you all the best.

9254C73C-1518-4CF6-87E1-F04903361D8C.jpeg

That is not even remotely true. We have explained and talked and expounded until we are blue in the face, and nobody on the anti-side GAF. In fact, we receive scorn and get laughed or shouted down. John Lott is right. Everywhere there is a lot of firearms in the hands of good citizens, crime of all kinds decreases. They will deny it and come up with their own stats.They have ignored all logic and explanation and do as they wish. They are winning in the schools and in the media. What is going to happen, WILL happen. But I'm glad that you have hope, I wish you all the best.

I beg to differ and do believe it is true.

Where is the consistent national message? An occasional 1 minute NRA ad on national TV doesn't cut it.

Who is our spokesman or spokespeople?

Do we have a "united" lobby of pro 2A peoples?

Who is the "face" of pro-2A in America currently?

While I agree that John Lott is a valuable resource, personally, I think there is a whole lot of "divide and conquer" going on.

Again, personally, I would rather continue to wish and hope and try to fill the vacuum, then to devolve into civil war or go all Red Hawk (E.G. Bourroughs) or "Yangs and Comms" (1st Star Trek) as my only alternate reality.

I wish us - even those who stand in opposition - the best. I do not relish that my/our legacy will be viewed as participatory in turning my/our country into another Beirut.

Assuming we don't need more laws, magazine restrictions, background checks etc., how does John Q Citizen at the mall defend himself against an AR type rifle with multiple large magazines? Even if you're carrying one yourself, I would think quite a few people could go down before John Q could stop the perpetrator.
I'm not sure what designating these as domestic terrorism ( and FBI involvement ) will do.
One thing I'd like to see is much tougher treatment for family members etc who know somebody is on the fringe and just about to do something nasty, but do nothing.

"I can't turn in my own son" fine, you can do the 30 years in prison for him after he goes off on a crowd in public. Wife observes odd behaviour and doesn't report it -- jail time. Neighbor buys gun for somebody else -- jail time. etc

Assuming we don't need more laws, magazine restrictions, background checks etc., how does John Q Citizen at the mall defend himself against an AR type rifle with multiple large magazines?

I would think that going head to head with an individual with a rifle wouldn't be smart unless cornered and no other option was available. That said, these shooters dont seem concerned with concealment or cover, so someone on their flank should be able to get some shots on target while they are preoccupied with what's in front of them.

I would think that going head to head with an individual with a rifle wouldn't be smart unless cornered and no other option was available. That said, these shooters dont seem concerned with concealment or cover, so someone on their flank should be able to get some shots on target while they are preoccupied with what's in front of them.

Also, yeah maybe 1 guy doesn't have a chance, but 2 or 3 starts to even the odds.

2 capital police went head-on with the Congressional baseball shooter with handguns and won, although they did get shot in the process.

Since something like an AR is going to have to be carried "open," the good guys are going to find it difficult to do that at Walmart, etc. I still like the idea of getting the SOBs turned in by family, friends, neighbors, teachers, facebook friends etc. But I think there still has to be serious consequences for not dropping the dime on sketchy people.

Got a better idea? ( other than hand everyone entering Walmart a gun )

Not allowed to talk about most of my ideas on this forum.

But basically we need to bring America back to having a shared set of goals and values. Purge the degenerate filth from our society, and bring back strong familes. I don't really care how you accomplish that.

The 2nd part of that is people need to take responsibility for their own safety. No reason 30-50% of the population can't be trained and carrying a concealed or open pistol.

The realistic answer is that attacks of one kind or another are a normal part of life and have occured throughout history, and will never go away. They aren't a big deal compared to other deaths, and people need to stop fretting over them.

As for the difficulties of open carrying a long gun...

One can easily carry a long gun like an AR15 or AR Carbine "openly" without it being a hindrance...it does take lots of practice.

When I was in the Army we had to carry our M16's or in my case perhaps a M21 ...around with us at all times while in performance of duties...
At times this occurred in crowded areas and in tight quarters...
Again with practice one got very good at carrying their rifle that way.

Granted we lived with our rifles...and the use of them became muscle memory...does the average gun owner do the same...?
That is not for me to say...I can say that some things you learn ...never really leave you.

Now would carrying a AR15 rifle out in the open , be the best idea , even if legal...maybe...or maybe not , depending on just where you are.

I am not saying that it is the best of ideas...just saying that it is not at difficult as it might seem.
Andy

Hmm, not saying I'm convinced but you seem to be saying (taco_lean) that, like the common cold, flu, measles etc, the average person will eat right, get rest, take vitamins, get vaccinated etc to protect themselves from things that cannot be eradicated from society.
So, if the occasional whacko is going to go nuts with a gun on a somewhat regular basis, the logical thing ( and possibly the only possible defense) is to carry a gun. In the same vein, society CANNOT rid itself of socially maladjusted individuals who have access to firearms anymore than it has eliminated influenza. So, again, you do what you can to defend against it.

What do you think of this?

"In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings," Tyson wrote Sunday afternoon. He then compared the "average" number of people who die in other ways across "any 48hrs."
"On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose… 500 to Medical errors, 300 to the Flu, 250 to Suicide, 200 to Car Accidents, 40 to Homicide via Handgun," he reasoned. "Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data."

What do you think of this?

"In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings," Tyson wrote Sunday afternoon. He then compared the "average" number of people who die in other ways across "any 48hrs."
"On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose… 500 to Medical errors, 300 to the Flu, 250 to Suicide, 200 to Car Accidents, 40 to Homicide via Handgun," he reasoned. "Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data."

In this case at least, Tyson makes a very spot on point - take in the entirety of the circumstances on a rational level before making an emotional statement.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top