JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think some need to re-think why animals do not like their nails cut.
A dog or cat type breeds, finger/toe, however you see it, is exactly that. The same resemblance to our fingers or toes, but with a hard shell. The nail/claw being the protection around the fleshy portion. Inside that fleshy portion are nerves. The closer you cut, the more sensitive. Guillotine or the side-cutter type clippers have tendency to "crush" the nerves.

If you've ever cut off the tip of your finger, it's likely some animals feel similar

I think some need to re-think why animals do not like their nails cut.
A dog or cat type breeds, finger/toe, however you see it, is exactly that. The same resemblance to our fingers or toes, but with a hard shell. The nail/claw being the protection around the fleshy portion. Inside that fleshy portion are nerves. The closer you cut, the more sensitive. Guillotine or the side-cutter type clippers have tendency to "crush" the nerves.

If you've ever cut off the tip of your finger, it's likely some animals feel similar

Best advice I ever got from a vet was to trim a little at a time until you see the center of the nail start to change color - like a tiny dot of color in the center and to stop there. Haven't had an issue since then.

Going to try the dremal after the dog goes to the groomers.

Depends on the dog. My late female Lab Koda never had to have her claws trimmed. What a deal! My big Chocolate, Porter, on the other hand, has claws that will grow an inch a week (or so it seems). I get him outside on the deck and get him to lie down beside me and I carefully clip them, then use a dremel to polish them up. Now I have shod horses in a past life, and I can tell you I would rather shoe a horse than trim Porters claws with him standing up. What a rodeo! If I take him to a groomer, they invariably try to get him up on a lift table, and that program just won't work for him.

I remember my Dad using some cotton from an aspirin bottle and tooth picks to clean my ears out when I was a little guy.
Either he was to cheap to buy some Q'tips or he just enjoyed hearing me holler how much it hurt.

What does your dog tolerate best?
We've spent plenty of dough buying "The Best" Guillotines, Side Cutters, Human Toe-Nail Clippers. I have, at minimum, a dozen different pairs. Lots of research on the web. Talking to breeders, groomers, and paying to have it done.

Our headaches ended.
I found a Dremel Tool works best.
Minimal nervousness for the animal, and the owner.
No muss, no fuss, and quick.

Sadie, you can't believe what just happened. I got Dremmeled! I have two jack Russell Terriers. They both tolerate the canine nail clippers but don't much like it. The male, every time he goes to the vet he loses another body part. First his tail, and dew claws. Then his testicles. He has had several teeth pulled and then both of his eyes removed because of glaucoma. The dog still loves the girls in the vet's office. He functions almost as well without eyes as when he had them and is still a fetching fool. The game now is finding the ball. The one thing that freaks him out is when I put my glasses in their hard glasses case and snap the lid shut. No matter how careful I am he does a crotch rocket off my lap. He can hear a gnat pass gas in another room.

Yup...Dremel. And you're missing the boat if you don't start training them on this when they're puppies. Touch their paws...a lot! Get them used to having their paws handled. Get them used to the sound of the dremel etc. Also, if you've really got a squirmy dog you can buy a harness and rig up a pulley and suspend them. They may still be a bit squirmy but it's a lot harder when they can't get any traction under their feet. And they look pretty cute just hanging there. If it's bad, have someone distract them with a scooby snack or two while you're working on their nails.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews