JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What does your dog tolerate best?
We've spent plenty of dough buying "The Best" Guillotines, Side Cutters, Human Toe-Nail Clippers. I have, at minimum, a dozen different pairs. Lots of research on the web. Talking to breeders, groomers, and paying to have it done.

Our headaches ended.
I found a Dremel Tool works best.
Minimal nervousness for the animal, and the owner.
No muss, no fuss, and quick.

yeah, my girl hates having her nails trimmed, and even though she can get easily spooked, the times I've had someone use a dremel, she was quite okay with it.

I learned quickly, to run the dremel around the animals a few times. Then when introducing the vibrations and noise, work the front claws first so they can see, and feel at the same time. After the first paw, the rest come easier for them. The end results come SO much easier for the both of us. I'll also add, that some of my pets are very skiddish. So much so, they needed to be taken to a groomer, with sedation, to have their nails done. One of them literally pooped themself at the groomer because they were so nervous.

Since my introducing the dremel, even the nervous one come through very well.
For my animals, and me, it's been almost effortless to accomplish what is necessary.

We have a good sized dog. She can be really intimidating, but she's afraid of everything!
Our infant son makes a loud click when momma pulls him off the nipple. It freaks the dog out. Any noise, beeping, or chirping (smoke detectors) FREAK her out.

She starts running around trying to climb in our laps and shaking like a leaf in a tornado.

So when I clip her nails it makes a loud noise ( she has large talons) and she freaks out. So I have to calm her down after each clip, I go in real gentle, telling her how good she is, gently get the clippers in place snap quick and get out of the way. Then the process is repeated a eleven times. (Dew claws)
It's a pain, but her nails get too bad and hurt her feet so we try to prevent it getting to that point.

My dog had parvo as a puppy and he doesnt like tools of any kind. He remembers and I hate to admit it but at times he smarter than I am. The vet clinic charges twelve dollars to clip his toe nails and they fo a good job. Every three months or so he goes in. Boy is he happy to come home after that.

I let the vet do my Bull Mastif's nails, but she was terrified of the vets before I got her. After a trim when she was waiting for me, she was standing in a pool of blood, and that was it for the vet!
I used a dremel for years, with a course, tiny drum sander! Works the best for us!

Last Edited:
I thought by buying some acreage my dog would be active and hopefully wear his nails down and lose some weight. Most days you can find hom snoring on the couch. Boy was I wrong. Tell me who is smarter I spend my days working.

You know, we walk everyday, and I thought that would keep the nails in check, but it doesn't quite do the trick. We have faux wood floors, and when the nails reach a certain point, she starts to flail when jumping up to bed or couch or what have you, and it's not a pretty sight.

My old dog required 2 tranquilizers followed by a trip to the vet. She tore the hell out of the vet' s office one time. You could not touch her feet. If you even stared at her feet she got nervous and would move away.

Yep, dog turns into a complete wreck. She'll let me do it but she shakes and tries to nip. I have to go slow, she's only 3, seems she's getting better. We'll see. I have a bunch of property and the dog runs all the time but dirt, grass and mud don't do a lot to wear down claws. Even when we walk the driveway (gravel) she'd rather be off in the brush on the side than on the road, nothing really interesting on the road.

This is interesting. While I don't have a dog... I do have two cats.

Yes, I trim our cats claws. I started as soon as we got the first cat from the cat house. Started early and do it often (the motions) even if I don't trim anything.

Our oldest cat is so accustomed to it he will lay there. I believe if I have a dog I will do the same method. Train early and often even if no work is done. This worked as a kid with our dogs then, I applied it to my cats as an adult and I will apply it as an adult if/when I get a dog.

$.02

^^^^

this start em young... WTF wrong with you people its just like telling your dog sit.. wants to move ahna
Sure it is just sit there while I take this tool to yoi. I think yoi have little comprehension of which you speak. The one trait I like about border collie, McNabb and in general other herding breeds is there ability to think.

My rot/lab would just chill and trusted me. We started early.

However, after 4-5 year I nipped one too close and that was the end of it. After that she wasn't a huge pill but she wouldn't just sit there for me anymore.

Oddly enough, reminds me of being 5 and my dad cut my fingernails so short they hurt for days. Never let dad touch my nails again after that...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top