JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Turns out Trijicon doesn't include mounting instructions, and the only two screws they gave me were wrong. They also did not include a Seal Plate which is required if you want waterproofness and for what that plates worth separately I'm really disappointed it wasn't included in the kit. Overall, I'm disappointed in the package and mounting kit for what IS otherwise a plug and play simplicity, that said I am so far really pleased with the RMR itself.
So now I'm beginning to watch dreaded Youtube videos and learned that one screw needs to be shorter on the side with the extractor. But I haven't found yet what length it needs to be nor what length the other side needs to be. Mounting mine with the provided screws leaves the RMR loose, the provided hardware is too tall. Grant it, Im still waiting on the Seal Plate to arrive but I know for a fact the screw is too tall on the side with the extractor.

My slide is a Gen3 compatible with G19s. It is not a Glock slide or Glock MOS compatible. The RMR does fit the slide perfectly with the cutout.

My two questions are,
What length screws do I need?
What torque should they be set at?

I don't think Type 2 RMRs need a sealing plate and/or it is integral. If I remember correctly the need for the sealing plate annoyed people and they changed it from Type 1 to Type 2.

Ignore, I was wrong.

Take slide and RMR with you to Ace.
ACE had 3/8 and 1/2 long screws but I 'think' I need a 7/16" long screw they did not have. I still dont know what the correct lengths are, such an odd dilemma for such a high end RMR...

ACE had 3/8 and 1/2 long screws but I 'think' I need a 7/16" long screw they did not have. I still dont know what the correct lengths are, such an odd dilemma for such a high end RMR...
You can always just cut one to the correct size.

You can always just cut one to the correct size.
thats what Im going to have to do, and honestly find this seriously disappointing in a product such as Trijicon.
Cutting and edgebreaking a 6-32 thread is not as simple as it sounds, and I shouldnt have to resort to this with a Trijicon product.

And Im still not certain Ive found what the actual length should be, but I might have found a clue here...

thats what Im going to have to do, and honestly find this seriously disappointing in a product such as Trijicon.
Cutting and edgebreaking a 6-32 thread is not as simple as it sounds, and I shouldnt have to resort to this with a Trijicon product.

And Im still not certain Ive found what the actual length should be, but I might have found a clue here...
Should of gotten a Holosun! ;)

Should of gotten a Holosun! ;)
My first RMR and no idea which one is best, have never heard anything bad of Trijicons. I sent them a rather to the point email and asked what screw length and torque to use. Depending on if and how they reply will tell me if this is the last Trijicon I buy.

My first RMR and no idea which one is best, have never heard anything bad of Trijicons. I sent them a rather to the point email and asked what screw length and torque to use. Depending on if and how they reply will tell me if this is the last Trijicon I buy.
Exact screws types and lengths are specific to your particular mounting platform. The appropriate screws or at least the screw sizes should be provided by your slide manufacturer if it was pre-cut for the RMR or the company that milled your slide. Here is what JagerWerks uses for their cuts.

The screws included with an RMR are long enough that they can be cut to the appropriate length for most platforms. Trijicon also sells a Glock MOS mounting kit with the specific screws needed for Glock MOS, but they may not be the appropriate length for your non-Glock slide. I understand your frustration as I had to deal with this on my milled slides, but I don't fault Trijicon for this at all.

I understand your frustration as I had to deal with this on my milled slides, but I don't fault Trijicon for this at all.
Except I don't see why Trijicon wouldn't know what length screws to use on non MOS slides. I realize there are many gun makes out there but the top 5 or so most popular probably puts Glock geometry types at the top.
Heaven forbid RMR companies try to standardize mounting geometry.

The Jagerworks link is helpful, suggests a 7/16" screw. Id order some but, they are out of stock.

The little holes in this wire stripping tool encircling the pivot are for shearing off small screws. While they won't chase the edge, a little bastard file or sander fixes that.
I don't know this tool, as I have a Kline many decades old, but mine works even with stainless, albeit does stress it some. from 4-40 up to 10-32 including 10-24. You just thread the screw in to the length you want at the shear point and squeeze the handle. When you unscrew it, the threads in the tool chase the screw threads straight enough to thread it into a nut or threaded hole without further work.
1654479916756.png

The little holes in this wire stripping tool encircling the pivot are for shearing off small screws. While they won't chase the edge, a little bastard file or sander fixes that.
I don't know this tool, as I have a Kline many decades old, but mine works even with stainless, albeit does stress it some. from 4-40 up to 10-32 including 10-24. You just thread the screw in to the length you want at the shear point and squeeze the handle. When you unscrew it, the threads in the tool chase the screw threads straight enough to thread it into a nut or threaded hole without further work.
View attachment 1215486
Nice, I think mine is like from when I was in high school installing car stereos.... I will dust it off and give this a try as I have a few extra long screws from ACE to mess with.

Except I don't see why Trijicon wouldn't know what length screws to use on non MOS slides.
Trijicon makes something on the order of 50 different RMR mounts / adapters for the major manufacturer swapable optic plate standards and clearly expends more effort that any other manufacturer to make optic adapters when there is a legitimate manufacturer mounting standard.

However, there is no Gen 3 standard Glock optic cut. Ever since Glock's Gen 3 patents expired, there have been dozens if not hundreds of small manufacturers that make Gen 3 knock off slides with RMR cutouts. There are just as many machine shops that will mill your slide. While the relative spacing of the RMR screws is the same, the depth of the RMR cutout on each slide can vary, as does the style of the recoil bosses and the relative depth of the extractor assembly rod and channel. It is simply not possible for Trijicon to keep track of all these manufacturers and the revisions to their slides. It absolutely the responsibility of the slide manufacturer to advise their customers on what screws to use.

On a milled slide using a screw that is slightly too short, or too short when combined with a sealing plate, and only engages 1 or 1.5 thread revolutions can easily shear out the top threads when torqued to 10 to 12 in/lbs (the RMR torque standard). Conversely, using a slightly too long screw on a slide with adapter plates can warp the plate and result in plate eventually breaking under recoil, or interfering with the extractor rod on a direct milled slide.

Many, actually most other micro red-dot manufacturers except Aimpoint, often include screws that are "roughly" correct, and may work on a MOS slide, but can easily result in the damage I described above when used on a milled slide or some other platform. I don't believe Trijicon deserves any criticism in this regard.

Trijicon makes something on the order of 50 different RMR mounts / adapters for the major manufacturer swapable optic plate standards and clearly expends more effort that any other manufacturer to make optic adapters when there is a legitimate manufacturer mounting standard.

However, there is no Gen 3 standard Glock optic cut. Ever since Glock's Gen 3 patents expired, there have been dozens if not hundreds of small manufacturers that make Gen 3 knock off slides with RMR cutouts. There are just as many machine shops that will mill your slide. While the relative spacing of the RMR screws is the same, the depth of the RMR cutout on each slide can vary, as does the style of the recoil bosses and the relative depth of the extractor assembly rod and channel. It is simply not possible for Trijicon to keep track of all these manufacturers and the revisions to their slides. It absolutely the responsibility of the slide manufacturer to advise their customers on what screws to use.

On a milled slide using a screw that is slightly too short, or too short when combined with a sealing plate, and only engages 1 or 1.5 thread revolutions can easily shear out the top threads when torqued to 10 to 12 in/lbs (the RMR torque standard). Conversely, using a slightly too long screw on a slide with adapter plates can warp the plate and result in plate eventually breaking under recoil, or interfering with the extractor rod on a direct milled slide.

Many, actually most other micro red-dot manufacturers except Aimpoint, often include screws that are "roughly" correct, and may work on a MOS slide, but can easily result in the damage I described above when used on a milled slide or some other platform. I don't believe Trijicon deserves any criticism in this regard.
So this makes sense, I just wish there was some kind of note in the Trijicon owners manual, would have pointed me in the right direction; my slide manufacturer. I did send the slide mfg an email too so hopefully I will get a reply. If I get a reply from Trijicon I will have some backpedaling to do....
I appreciate your reply and have noted the torque spec.

Also, the more well known machine shops tend to use 6-32 x 7/16 or 6-32 x 3/8 for their RMR cuts. Optic plates often use shorter screws since they only have the the depth of the plate to secure against. Here are some places you can cheaply acquire screws:

If your manufacturer advices a different length than above, you can get that from McMaster:

Also, the more well known machine shops tend to use 6-32 x 7/16 or 6-32 x 3/8 for their RMR cuts. Optic plates often use shorter screws since they only have the the depth of the plate to secure against. Here are some places you can cheaply acquire screws:

If your manufacturer advices a different length than above, you can get that from McMaster:

I think my slide will need 7/16 long because the 3/8 barely sticks out the bottom even without the Seal Plate. I'm gonna make a wild guess the Seal Plate thickness accounts for about 1 thread of engagement.

Screenshot_20220605-210156.png

My local hardware store had everything but 7/16 so I'll probably order a couple extras on the primarymachine link you shared.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top