JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
10/24 starting at 8am

Triangle Gravel Pit in the Capitol State Forest is located near the junction of Waddell Creek and Sherman Roads.

8am Meeting place will be Dirt lot at Waddell Creek Rd & 105th ave Sw, Olympia WA

This event is hosted by Project Wilderness & coordinated with Washington DNR. Volunteers need to wear rugged shoes & bring gloves (leather gloves recommended). Water & BBQ lunch will be provided.

You can RSVP using one of the two links below;

Project Wilderness on Facebook
<broken link removed>

CANT MAKE IT?
Support Project Wilderness today by buying a shirt! Of this $20 - $5 goes direct towards public land expansion & $5 goes towards cost related to cleanups & habitat projects!

Mail check or money order to;
Project Wilderness
12235 SW Winterhawk
Beaverton, OR 97007

Include Size & Shipping Address.

Thank you for posting this follow up...
I, regrettably, cannot make it due to prior plans (prior to me finding out about this clean up day).
I will how ever be sending snail mail your way. Hope you get a good turn out and thank you for helping to organize this clean up...I have only been up there once (recently moved to this part of the country) but it was sadly apparent that a whole grip of garbage (shooting related and otherwise) needs to be pulled out of there... To many places are closed cause some one objects to people trashing it...
-A

Thank you for posting this follow up...
I, regrettably, cannot make it due to prior plans (prior to me finding out about this clean up day).
I will how ever be sending snail mail your way. Hope you get a good turn out and thank you for helping to organize this clean up...I have only been up there once (recently moved to this part of the country) but it was sadly apparent that a whole grip of garbage (shooting related and otherwise) needs to be pulled out of there... To many places are closed cause some one objects to people trashing it...
-A

:s0155:
Thanks Autonomous, we're expecting around 30...hopefully that's the turnout!

Just a reminder for everyone;

This cleanup takes place this Saturday Oct 24th!

now offers PAYPAL option to instantly purchase a 100&#37; cotton Project Wilderness long sleeve shirt! $20 includes shipping! $5 goes directly towards public land expansion & $5 goes towards cost related to cleanups & habitat projects! That's $10 going right into field work.

<broken link removed>

Man... the biggest gun show of the year in Puyallup is this weekend :eek:

Its all right tho... I've got no cash to spend at the show, but I do have the funds to cover some FREE food in woods.... so I'll be at the cleanup! :s0155: :D

Those of you who wanted to help out but couldn't make it, you still can help. We did a great job on it, but there is still trash. Next time you are up there spend a couple minutes and clean it up. There are a lot of empty shotshells, and there is still trash in the bushes behind. :s0109: The only thing I hate worse than those leaving trash is those throwing the trash into the bushes... but anyways.. :D

You never know when you help with these volunteer clean-ups.. you just might hit pay dirt :s0139:
paydirt.jpg

Here are some more pics of the state we left it in:
TrianglePit3Sm.jpg
TrianglePitSm.jpg
(the white stuff is tiny peanuts from a bean bag chair or something, the red thing is a jacket of one of the volunteers)

I took my son with me, and we had a good time. Lots of garbage, and metal debris no doubt, but I was amazed how well it looked at the end of the day! The gentleman from DNR was from down south around Vancouver, and he told me that more DNR properties down in that area could be open to target shooting, if only people would police their own garbage. They just don’t have the funds available to clean up garbage left behind. The areas that are open are due to volunteer groups that come in and keep things somewhat respectable.

While we were out there, a couple of guys rolled up, wanting to target shoot, and when approached to let them know the area was closed due to clean up efforts, they were rather annoyed, but were offered extra gloves if they could help clean up for 30 min to an hour... they responded with "we don’t have time to do that"..... and left. (They had time to shoot.. but not clean stuff up??)

Unfortunately, there are quite a few people that take for granted that this particular shooting area is the ONLY legal place to shoot in the area. We need to keep it clean, or like areas down south, will be closed. :s0155:

A big thank you to Project Wilderness for setting up this clean up effort!! :D

Next time... it would be nice to see more shooters out there!

I took my son with me, and we had a good time. Lots of garbage, and metal debris no doubt, but I was amazed how well it looked at the end of the day! The gentleman from DNR was from down south around Vancouver, and he told me that more DNR properties down in that area could be open to target shooting, if only people would police their own garbage. They just don’t have the funds available to clean up garbage left behind. The areas that are open are due to volunteer groups that come in and keep things somewhat respectable.

While we were out there, a couple of guys rolled up, wanting to target shoot, and when approached to let them know the area was closed due to clean up efforts, they were rather annoyed, but were offered extra gloves if they could help clean up for 30 min to an hour... they responded with "we don’t have time to do that"..... and left. (They had time to shoot.. but not clean stuff up??)

Unfortunately, there are quite a few people that take for granted that this particular shooting area is the ONLY legal place to shoot in the area. We need to keep it clean, or like areas down south, will be closed. :s0155:

A big thank you to Project Wilderness for setting up this clean up effort!! :D

Next time... it would be nice to see more shooters out there!

I've actually been working with DNR on a solution...it goes beyond way beyond signs (which they've tried) and doesn't limit access. It's been sent up the chain in the DNR, if it's approved I'll fill everyone in.

It's very positive.

As promised I said I would update everyone at a long term solution for the pit.

I offered to form & mentor a local steward group of local shooters to look after, maintain the site and help educate shooters that probably don't understand the risk this location is at for closure, however I asked for DNR stamp of approval on the group before starting to ask people to step up to the plate.

They have decided to go in a different direction. Closure. They're looking at finding a spot in the forest to be an "official" shooting area, but not sure if that will happen.

DNR is so full of it. They conned you guys into cleaning it up so they could simply close it in a clean state and not have to do any work. Duh...

We will continue to shoot there. I always clean up and even pick up my .22 brass.

Maybe DNR should focus on keeping their culverts clean they clog by steep slope clear cutting and destroying the Kennedy Creek watershed every year by causing landslides due to improper maintenance of our forest roads.

Now the trash will not be consolidated and easy to clean up, but spread across the entire forest.

The Capitol Forest is our land and I will continue to do what I want when I want on public (not DNR owned) property.

Someone can pass that along to the power hungry buds at DNR who know what's best for us. I'm glad they laid off tons of employees.

DNR is so full of it. They conned you guys into cleaning it up so they could simply close it in a clean state and not have to do any work. Duh...

We will continue to shoot there. I always clean up and even pick up my .22 brass.

Maybe DNR should focus on keeping their culverts clean they clog by steep slope clear cutting and destroying the Kennedy Creek watershed every year by causing landslides due to improper maintenance of our forest roads.

Now the trash will not be consolidated and easy to clean up, but spread across the entire forest.

The Capitol Forest is our land and I will continue to do what I want when I want on public (not DNR owned) property.

Someone can pass that along to the power hungry buds at DNR who know what's best for us. I'm glad they laid off tons of employees.

I disagree they did not con us, as we offered to clean it.

However I agree this will not solve the problem and believe me I argued that it will expand the problem as you say, clearly not solve it. Many people at the DNR agree with us, however it's the decision maker that isn't on board for whatever reason.

As you and many other people feel strongly, I suggest a simple phone call or email telling them to approve a stewardship group or some other form of community engagement allowing it to stay "open".

Who is the decision maker? We can play politics if that's how they want to go about it. All I need is a name if you are willing to provide it.

Sorry, I didn't see your response.

Due to the constant balancing act of managing relationships within the DNR and other government agencies we don't release names and email address of our contacts for matters as this.

However, I will say if you send one email to the following three addresses;
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
they'll get to the right person. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top