JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know what the round count on this weekend's PR match at tri-county gonna be? One of my friends is going to be a tyro, I dunno if he has enough ammo, only 80 rounds. I can always spot him some I guess I have lots but he wants to know.

Make sure that any ammo for pratical rifle has bullets that won't attract a magnet. Magnetic bullets will get you disqualified because the steel jackets ruin targets.

Make sure that any ammo for pratical rifle has bullets that won't attract a magnet. Magnetic bullets will get you disqualified because the steel jackets ruin targets.

They magnet-check everyone's magazines before each stage now. No worries of killing the targets. :s0155:

Also, it isn't the jacket that's the problem, it is steel core ammunition. M855/SS109 ammo is steel core.

They magnet-check everyone's magazines before each stage now. No worries of killing the targets. :s0155:

Also, it isn't the jacket that's the problem, it is steel core ammunition. M855/SS109 ammo is steel core.

Wrong...no steel PERIOD....otherwise wolf bi-metal jackets would be good to go.

If there is any doubt, pull a bullet and check with a magnet, if it sticks at all, you cant use it.

Round count has been less than 100 the last couple of matches....

Eta: unless something changed recently, Tyros are not allowed at the night match. You might want to get ahold of Randy before you bring him out there.

Wrong...no steel PERIOD....otherwise wolf bi-metal jackets would be good to go.

If there is any doubt, pull a bullet and check with a magnet, if it sticks at all, you cant use it.

Round count has been less than 100 the last couple of matches....

Eta: unless something changed recently, Tyros are not allowed at the night match. You might want to get ahold of Randy before you bring him out there.
You are correct in that magnetic ammo of any sort is not allowed. I was just saying that it is not the steel jacket (or steel case for that matter) that causes the problem. It's just that it is a lot easier to ban "all magnetic ammo" than it is to specifically ban steel core. Otherwise we'd have to have everyone cutting open their bullets.:s0114:

This thread is ancient, NoOne was necroposting. He's been to the last 2 matches. :) Unfortunately I will not be able to come as I have other things going on that day. :(

Do'h....nice coincidence on the bump :)

While it is "easier to ban all"...it is done for a reason, the bi-metal jackets will still tear up the targets we shoot at. Granted, not to the extent of armour piercing, but it can and has cratered the targets.

You are correct in that magnetic ammo of any sort is not allowed. I was just saying that it is not the steel jacket (or steel case for that matter) that causes the problem. It's just that it is a lot easier to ban "all magnetic ammo" than it is to specifically ban steel core. Otherwise we'd have to have everyone cutting open their bullets.:s0114:

This thread is ancient, NoOne was necroposting. He's been to the last 2 matches. :) Unfortunately I will not be able to come as I have other things going on that day. :(

No, the steel jackets tear up the targets. Especially the .223 at closer range.

The steel jackets hold together just long enough to put a crater in the targets. Granted, they are no where near as bad as the steel core, but they are still too hard on the targets to be allowed.

Just out of curiosity, what is the cutoff date for the definition of necroposting? I'm sorry to have caused any confusion as I didn't know there was a date after which we were not supposed to post. I always like to follow the rules...if there are any.

Ah, well good thing I don't have any steel-jacketed ammo then.

Just out of curiosity, what is the cutoff date for the definition of necroposting? I'm sorry to have caused any confusion as I didn't know there was a date after which we were not supposed to post. I always like to follow the rules...if there are any.

Lol, necroposting is not rigidly defined it just means bumping an old thread. I don't think there are any rules about it here. You can see the date a post was made in the top left corner. This thread was about a match way back in September! :eek:

Yep, I noticed the date, just wanted to remind anyone about the ammo issue...people tend to forget even when we DO remind them. I think it was October when someone did show up with some steel jacketed ammo. It wasn't deliberate, but still hurts targets.

I was stunned when I found out that some of my Lake City ammo had steel jackets or something that attracted a magnet. That was many years ago, and it was really accurate, so I was excited about getting to use it at PR...until I checked it. At least I had plenty of good range practice ammo.

I have an AR with iron sights that LOVES the Sellier & Bellot/Belliot turquoise box 5.56 ammo. With iron sights the rifle shoots inch at 100 yards with that stuff. Damn stuff is magnetic though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top