JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hate to say it but most real professionals don't use torque wrenches.
I didn't mean to step on any toes or anything. I'm not a professional by any means. I do use my torque wrenches occasionally.. very carefully.
But be it known, you know those big jets and stuff flying up in the sky there?. most a those technicians didn't use a torque wrench.

I would place $100.00 on a table to match your bet that is to say you cannot come within +- 2% any three times out of three to 90 foot pounds you pick the weight, that my torque wrench can.
Silver Hand

Oh believe me, for true precision work I would use it. But for day-to-day wrenching such as my car I don't use one. All fasteners have a torque spec, but having been in many large shops, I rarely see certified techs using them. Now for head bolts and other critical parts, sure.

So to sum it up, I wouldn't take your bet. But I WOULD bet you that I could safely torque down most day to day stuff without breaking bolts off and without them coming loose. Please don't think I was suggesting to NOT use a torque wrench, especially for critical work.

Thanks for this tip! I currently have a broken 1/2" Craftsman I need to replace. It certainly has good reviews on amazon.

The main difference the I should mention, is even though it is essentially the same tool, your local Snap-On franchisee most likely will not be able to warranty it. I don't recall what kind of warranty is offered for the CDI branded wrenches, but if it lasts a month (and is used properly), it will last a lifetime. They are very good quality.

That is a large part of why Snap-On charges top dollar for their products, besides being top quality, for professional technicians they stop at the shop weekly to sell and repair/replace tools. If you aren't relying on your tools to feed your family, a little extra time for warranty repairs might not be worth the added expense.

Have any of you considered the new digital torque adapter that you can use with any ratchet? They seem to be pretty cool. I've thought about giving one a try. Here's one on a you tube video:

These little boxes are cool, with many features: Inch pounds, ft pounds, N-M's etc. etc...

epcp_1012_07_o+porsche_gt3+torque_wrench.jpg

Lots of good posts. I have a torque wrench calibrator at work. One of my [many] jobs is to calibrate torque wrenches, and ensure their accuracy.

Snap-On's are BY FAR the most accurate throughout the entire range. From the very bottom on the scale to the max. I can count on 2-3 fingers the Snap-On wrenches theat were out of their printed spec, and had to be sent off to Snap-On for recalibration.

The cheaper ones (Husky, Proto, craftsman, and numerous others) are hit and miss for accuracy in their posted ranges. As previously mentioned, I find them in and out of tolerance all throughout their ranges. Some are dead-on in the lower range and way out in the high range (I have seen as high as 20%-30% out of tol.). And vise-versa...... way out low, and dead-on in the high range. Then again, I have run across some Husky and Proto's that were within specs from low to high too. Hit and miss on the cheaper wrenches.

Is mentioned previously, if you are not concerned with the printed 2%-3% accuracy throughout it's range, save yourself some $$$ and buy cheap. If you are wanting peace of mind with the accuracy, and knowing it is accurate, buy-once cry-once. Spend the $$$ and go with a Snap-On gold. At my job I've run across 1 gold box. Every other Snap-On is red box wrenches. Snap-On's are amazing wrenches. (BTW, no, I don't have any affiliation with Snap-On).

It all depends on what accuracy you are wanting/needing.

My contribution - once you've paid through the nose for a Snap On have them calibrate it a couple of years later. It's not covered under warranty & it cost me $70!

For general use building guns or working on your car at home just get a click-stop Craftsman. If you're working on small stuff get a 1/4" drive inch-pound version or if you're working on bulldozers get a 1" ft-pound monster version. Or something in between.

That's my two-cents. Would you like change sir? :)

I have two 1/4" Snap-On's both in In-lbs (one dial gauge model and one twist handle type)
one 3/8" Snap-On in ft-lbs measure
one 1/2" Snap-On in ft-lbs
one 1/2" Craftsman.

The Snap-On are much nicer than the Craftsman the dial gauge model In-Lbs is really nice for gun work.

20170103_174217.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews