JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this is a light weight question, but when I buy something I want to buy the best I can.I need a new torque wrench. Do you have one that you are really like. You know, the one you will pass on to a son. Thanks

One will not do, there are torque wrenches in inch ounces then in foot pounds. The problem is no matter what wrench you choose the scale in the center of the wrench is most accurate and that varies. For instance a one to twenty foot pound wrench is most accurate between seven and fifteen foot pounds. A 40 - 250 fp torque wrench say for wheel installation is most accurate between 110 and 175 foot pounds. To be a serious high quality wrench these days will require at least half a dozen torque wrenches.

There are snap-on 1/2'' 40 - 250 ft lbs. and then the 3/8'' drive 10 -75 ft Lbs Snap on. Then consider the Mac with the nicest 3/8 '' drive in 50 to 250 inch pound to cover common ground, after this there are screw drivers to measure 1-10 inch pounds more or less, when working on heavy equipment a 250 foot pound wrench is useless. 650 to 1500 or 1500 with a 4 x multiplier might be required. By now you get it.

Harbor freight torque wrenches work from what I have been told? Look it up and find out for your self,

Silver Hand

Are we talking Gunsmithing, Bicycles, Auto/Truck?

Snap-on's are very good! My Craftsman 3/8 & 1/2" have given good service for years! I also have an excellent, Pedro's 1/4" for bicycles!

Hate to say it but most real professionals don't use torque wrenches.

Agreed. I hate to say it, but I can "feel" when it's just enough. When I can't, I use an ATD 1/2" drive torque wrench. Since I'm on the management end of my shop (Service Manager) I don't send it out often for calibration.

Most all my automotive hand tools are Craftsman brand except for the expendables which are dual purpose tools used for prying, poking, stabbing, throwing and beating.......
I do have a very nice pair of vintage (1960's vintage) Craftsman 1/4" & 1/2" drive torque wrenches that get backed off after every use (as mentioned above) and put back in their box. They will last my son and his grandsons lifetimes after I'm gone.;)

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. I was speaking of a 1/4 or 3/8". I do prefer the screw driver kind, but I don't pretend to be a professional. There are many times I find them handy. Thanks for all the replies. I really do appreciate the help.

I had to learn the hard way about foot pounds and inch pounds.
Another lesson was about using an extension calculator.
Who knew that adding a 7" extension to my torque wrench changed things enough to mess things up.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiY-b6Xk77QAhWr0FQKHXBJA8AQFggrMAM&url=http://www.rv7.us/a_u-torquewrenchsetting.htm&usg=AFQjCNFPsqV9PUwosbppb5sdVv51qgOlzQ&sig2=6NWgQLwJL8kjA5Hm5kz-ww

IT IS NOT ABOUT EXTENSION! Extend straight in as long as you like.
It is about the length you add to the front or top of your torque wrench @ 12 o'clock. Adding length to the front
[12 O'clock position] of the wrench changes the torque value!
So if you use a 90 degree off set at three or nine o'clock the length never changes, Go deep or use the 3:00 or 9:00 o'clock method.
Just for kicks - 12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound
Silver Hand

Agreed. I hate to say it, but I can "feel" when it's just enough. When I can't, I use an ATD 1/2" drive torque wrench. Since I'm on the management end of my shop (Service Manager) I don't send it out often for calibration.
I would place $100.00 on a table to match your bet that is to say you cannot come within +- 2% any three times out of three to 90 foot pounds you pick the weight, that my torque wrench can.
Silver Hand

+1 for Snap-On precision instrument series torque wrench's! By once,cry once! They make the best there is, hands down!!!! Ever work on Jet engines? That's the only brand allowed in ALL U.S. branches of the Military for aircraft use! I bought mine for the automotive building I do, and I can tell you the cost is more then offset by the quality and consistency each and every time! NOTE Proper care must be taken each and every time you use one, they must be set back to Zero immediately after use!!!! If you do not, you will ruin an expensive tool, and it cost almost as much to repair and re-calibrate one as it does to replace it! I have both 3/8 and 1/2 in Wrench's, as well as 1/4 in screw driver type. I also have the 3/8 digital for torque to yield and torque angle. I also use a torque multiplier for my truck work! If you actually need a torque instrument, do not skimp, you will regret it!

Check out

CDI 1002MFRMH 3/8-Inch Drive Metal Handle Click Type Torque Wrench, Torque Range 10 to 100-Fo - - Amazon.com

CDI 1501MRMH 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench 150-Pound Capacity - - Amazon.com

CDI supplies the bodies for Snap-on's standard click type torque wrenches. They are engraved "CDI, a Snap-On Company". Only difference is the ratchet head, which I've had my three for about 5 years, never had an issue. I use my 1/2" almost every day. They are easily half the price of buying from Snap-on direct.

+1 for Snap-On precision instrument series torque wrench's! By once,cry once! They make the best there is, hands down!!!! Ever work on Jet engines? That's the only brand allowed in ALL U.S. branches of the Military for aircraft use! I bought mine for the automotive building I do, and I can tell you the cost is more then offset by the quality and consistency each and every time! NOTE Proper care must be taken each and every time you use one, they must be set back to Zero immediately after use!!!! If you do not, you will ruin an expensive tool, and it cost almost as much to repair and re-calibrate one as it does to replace it! I have both 3/8 and 1/2 in Wrench's, as well as 1/4 in screw driver type. I also have the 3/8 digital for torque to yield and torque angle. I also use a torque multiplier for my truck work! If you actually need a torque instrument, do not skimp, you will regret it!
A Snap-on Air craft wrench comes in a GOLD Box and an automotive wrench comes in a Red Box. At least they did back when I was using them.
Silver Hand

I recently rebuilt a N14 BMW engine. When a faster failed inside the block wile using a Snap-on torque wrench my son was bewildered.
I looked over at him and mentioned the talent some people affix to them selves. You know the type leave a bolt stripped in an engine block because you can feel it and wait for a non professional to find it wile using the correct tools.
You guys leave evidence of poor workmanship behind and your customers pay for it daily.
Silver Hand

I just rebuilt My little Isuzu 5.2L for my Tucker. Every thing in that engine is torque to yield! No getting around that with a El-cheap-O!
Yes, the Aircraft Tools are Gold Box, and for normal automotive, Red box. Electronic are black Box. Mil spec tools are non chrome plated except the hand wrench's! Snap-On are the only ones to actually build tools Mil Spec, and they have to be tested and certified before acceptance! No other tool company is willing to do that! Craftsman tried years ago and failed, and got fined for the trouble!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top