JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in Bi-Mart today. They have quite a bit of ammo. But, I overheard one guy saying that he wasn't going to buy any ammo until the price comes down. So I got to thinking about something I read recently (I think it was on survivalblog.com). I read that it costs 1.7 cents to make a penny. If you bought a $100 bag of pennies it would have a melt value of $170. And these are "copper" pennies. Well, copper is also needed to make ammo. So, it seems to me that the costs of raw materials are going up. Therefore, I do NOT believe that the price of ammo will go ever down much if at all. Also, I have heard some people say that those who have been hogging all the ammo they can get will soon be trying to sell it. But, I don't know anyone who plans to dump their ammo. Most people I know plan on keeping it the rest of their lives. Opinions, PLEASE?

I can't imagine anyone I know dumping their ammo. I can remember when a case of 7.62x39 was 90.00 and a case of .223 was about the same. I'm afraid those days are gone forever.

All is not lost though! If you reload, especially pistol rounds, you can still shoot for very reasonable costs. So roll your own!

I think the reason most people don't is the initial cost of the set up...........but if you use a Lee Kit and Lee dies, you can get started with your first caliber for about 150.00. At today's prices, it doesn't take long to pay for itself!

I can't imagine anyone I know dumping their ammo. I can remember when a case of 7.62x39 was 90.00 and a case of .223 was about the same. I'm afraid those days are gone forever.

All is not lost though! If you reload, especially pistol rounds, you can still shoot for very reasonable costs. So roll your own!

I think the reason most people don't is the initial cost of the set up...........but if you use a Lee Kit and Lee dies, you can get started with your first caliber for about 150.00. At today's prices, it doesn't take long to pay for itself!

I agree, smonk. I am going to get my press set up pretty soon. Instead of buying more ammo I'll reload all of the empty brass I have accumulated during the last 30+ years.

I still believe that there is a high demand for copper at this time. The ammo factories are running 7 times 24. so this is bound to keep the price of copper (and other metals) going up.

Your right, factories are running 24/7. this means overtime for the employies. That costs more. I would be a bad decision for the ammo companies to expand to much or hire a bunch of people, becouse this ammo rush will end(I think soon). and if they ramp up there factory to much, whey wont be able to stay in bussiness when the rush is over.

I have a good friend that scrapes for a living(legally). Prices are like a rollercoster. they were going way way up for a while, but now they are going down.

Recycleing money is against the law!!! so please dont recycle pennies. A pound of copper goes for about $3.00. does anyon know what a penny weights?

The Bi Mart prices around here seem pretty low. Of course it'd be nice to get 50rds of .40s&w for $10, but I'm pretty sure those days are gone. I won't buy ammo from places like Big 5 though, because they do price gouge on their guns and ammo.

Today at Bi-Mart I bought 1 of the 2 remaining boxes of Federal 22lr 500 round bulk pack for $ 16.95.

Last summer I was buying 525 round boxes 'on sale' for $9.95 with the regular price being $11.95. So, it's gone up $5.00. It's still cheap enough to enjoy!! :D

Year before last and for several years before that when GI Joes or Bi-mart had a sale on ammo, green box Remington for popular rifle calibers (30-30, 308, 30-06) was $9.99. Right now Bi-Mart is right at $14 for a box of 30-30 so a "sale" price wouldn't be too far off of that, if they had a sale that is. I bought a 525 round of Remington .22 the other night for $16.97. That's not too far out of line compared to what I last paid a couple of years ago, either. Raw materials prices have gone up, but then fluctuated some, so there is a little truth to that part of the story. I believe that if you see a big jump in standard ammo price, you are being gouged. Premium stuff, like Federal with Nosler bullets always has been pretty expensive.

Primers, however, have been where I see a significant hike in price. If I'm lucky enough to find standard large pistol primers they are $3.49 per hundred. That's about a buck more than the prices were before all of the silliness started this time last year. In fact, the last box of 1000 I bought last year was $34.99 and that was for Match primers, not standard.
I'm just glad to be able to start finding the stuff on the shelves.

I can assure you the price is not going down any time soon. Purchase all the ammo you can. I have reserves of 2000-5000 rounds per caliber that I use often (.40, .45, .223, .22). Don't just sit on the ammo, practice with it. It's just money. However, don't EVER let your reserves go below what you are willing to have if no more ammo was produced.

Bi-mart is the only place I will buy my ammo unless I can find a great deal at the gun show because I know for a fact that bi-mart did not mark up their ammo AT ALL (on a percentage of cost basis) during the shortage and they limited the gougers to a couple of boxes a day, that left the rest of us who didn't stock pile enough to feed our habit at least enough to take the friends and family out for a day or two this summer. I will support them and I have told them so. They took care of me and earnd my loyalty, more than I can say for the local gun shops ( 50-9mm fmj for like $23 )

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top