Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Time to write to the New Reps in Olympia about silencers.

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Ranb, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

I made a list of the newly elected Representatives in Olympia. I included what little contact info that was availble on their webpages. If anyone has additional info or if I made any mistakes, please post.

Here is the list of new Reps.
    Here is a sampe letter I wrote. Feel free to use it, but do not cut and paste. Since I have not been able to obtain written documentation of Cease Fire WA and the WACOPS position on the new silencer use bill, it would be better not to say they have taken a position on it yet, unless you say you heard they are neutral on the matter.

The new Reps need plently of mail to bring this to their attention. Thanks.

Ranb

2. Ranb

Here is the WA silencer crime summary I was able to assemble from the data given to me by the county sheriffs. If any Rep asks for the documentation, ask me for it.

Here is WASPC's position on the silencer use bill;

Ranb

3. Ranb

I emailed them all on Sunday night. I have received a few replies so far. They say the same thing. "Tell me more" and "I need to know how many people have a stake in silencers use in WA before I support any bill to allow their use." These freshmen Reps are not stupid. I can tell right now that I will probably not get any support from them because they are not going to get much in the way of letters from the gun owners in WA.

Ranb

4. liltanker32

liltanker32 CLARK COUNTY Member

I work for the state and allot of my co workers and I want to use or suppressors. who do we need to get letter and back from. I will be glad to get as many letters as I can from different groups that are involved in my line of work. please pm me in my message box with some specifics and I will get to work.

5. Ranb

Be polite detailed and truthful, even if their replies to you are not. Give them a call on the phone sometime. Try to set up a face to face meeting. Ask them if they will support the bill by ensuring it gets a hearing in committee. Keep asking them until they tell you they will or why they will not. It may take several letters. I have corresponded with many of them and they just refuse to do anything because they hear so little about the subject.

Ask them what it will take to get their support and exactly what that support means. For most of the Reps I have talked to, their support was limited to watching it die in committee session after session. This is unacceptable. They will tell you that it is not their job to ask the committee chairman for a hearing, but they would do that for any bill they wanted passed into law, so they can do it for us.

The most important people to contact now are the House Judiciary Committee members. Also contact your own Rep and Senator. Tell them you want their support for the new suppressor use bill when it comes out in January. It should be similar to bill 1604; here HB 1604 - 2009-10 and http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1604.pdf

If anyone wants to set up a meeting with their Senator or Rep but does not want to go alone, I am happy to go with as long as it is within 100 miles of Seattle.

Ranb

6. Ranb

I called Rep-elect Hargrove yesterday. He said he would support the bill and ask Pedersen to give it a hearing in committee, but stopped short of saying he would call it a priority.

It is easy to get a hold of some of your Reps on the phone. All you have to do is look up their contact info on the WA access page.

Ranb

7. Ranb

Hargrove changed his mind and will not support the bill. He did not say why. This sucks. I can even get a single MFing Republican to support the bill, in the Senate or the House.

Is there anyone here in his district that voted for him that can write him some letters?

Ranb

8. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

totally sucks sucks sucks. keep fighting the good fight. I'll keep this suppressor topic on my list of things to mention to my reps.

9. Ranb

If you are interested in using silencers, then you have to do much more than mention it, or all they will do is say they support it and watch it die in committee again. You need to ask them if they will tell the House Judiciary chairman that the bill is a priority.

Even the police are not allowed to use silencers, although they seem to get away with it. The WA Council of Police and Sheriffs (WACOPS) wants to pass a silencer use bill similar to 1604 (allows use of registered silencers by anyone, not just police). If your Rep refuses to tell Pedersen that the bill is a priority, then they are against the bill.

For the last three sessions I have been hearing about how the economy is the priority. Well if they can not do what they need to do in this amount of time, then they can find ways to squeeze in a no-brainer bill that restores a right we lost back in 1934. Since their are no Republicans that are willing to provide the support required for this bill, it seems that this is not a partisan issue. We need to get our RINO's in Olympia to get their heads out of their butts.

Ranb