JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought it was very fun. Make sure to check if all the belts are working though. I went with a group of 8 and only 1 belt worked, and it only worked once.
Also, and I understand its a business and they have to make money and get people in and out, but I would have liked more time shooting and less time reviewing our shots. It is important to know your accuracy but that took more time than the actual shooting.

If you carry a gun this is training you must experience. The square range and paper targets that never move just don't cut it. You'll find out just how quickly things happen, how decisions must be made in moments, and that you're not the ninja you thought you were. Recommended.

By the way, they have moved and are now located in Tualatin.

Threat Dynamics
5831 NW Cornelius Pass Road
Portland OR 97124
(503) 597-7033

http://www.threatdynamics.com

If it wasn't so far away from where I normally dwell, I would go there at least once a quarter. It is a great experience and very solid training overall for CC people. I would really like to be able to use my preferred pistol, but that is minor over the hard to get situation based training.

Went there yesterday to use their new live firing range. It appears to be an old shipping container converted into an indoor range with only two lanes. It was $20 for 30 minutes or $30 for 60 minutes. They do have guns for rent. You can shoot your own ammo there for a $5 inspection fee. That part makes almost worth it rather than buying way over priced ammo that you find at other indoor ranges. Overall, I'll give them a 3.75 out of 5.

My wife is going there next Thursday for the Ladies Night training. I'll let you all know what she says about that.

BTW... since this thread was created, they have moved. Their address is:
8250 SW Tonka
Tualatin OR. 97062

I got my CHL training at Threat Dynamics. Great instructor/owner. He gets an A+ from me. I'd love to have another good option for guns / gunsmithing in the local area but had virtually zero inventory when I was there last.

There must be some correlation between being in the gun business and apparently not caring who walks through the business doors.

My son-in-law and I were in Portland on other business but made it a point to find Threat Dynamics in Tualatin on our way out of town. We walked in and looked at the rather meager offerings on the shelves, spent some time looking over some of the AR's and shotguns on the wall and then looked at all the various handguns on display presumably used for rental use.

There was a guy behind the counter and three other guys sitting at the tv engaged in conversation. All 4 guys had on the same shirt so our assumption was they were all employees. During our 10-15 minutes of looking around not once did anyone there even acknowledge our presence. As we walked out we were amazed that no one in the place even bothered to check and see if we walked out with more stuff than we walked in with.

Later, at Cabelas in Eugene we had three different salesmen at the gun counter in as many minutes asking us if they could pull anything out for us to
look at.

I would much rather support the small businessman but in this instance the customer service that you would hope to see just wasn't there at Threat Dynamics. I was pretty disappointed especially knowing they advertise and support NWF.

A couple quick-hits about Threat Dynamics today:

- Bryce Jackson recently joined the team at TD after having previously worked for a sales group who were not inclined to receive input from us with regard to pricing. He is a definite asset to the group, primarily because Bryce's approach to the business is to be YOUR "gun guy". I've seen him spend lots of time researching options for clients in the past, and have seen him do a consistently great job of slowing people down and helping them find the right solution for their needs. When you deal with Bryce, you get personal attention, not a canned delivery. I am extremely excited for him, because he is now able to provide the outstanding service he has always provided, as well as delivering items at very fair pricing.

- on a drop in to see Bryce, he introduced me to Josh DeTar, one of the TD instructors. Josh and I talked shop for a bit, and I decided to see what he had to offer.

I went in for an hour of personal instruction today, with the specific goal of improving speed without losing accuracy. Josh wisely started with a 5 round diagnostic of my current fundamentals, and opted for a 'slow down to speed up' approach. Of the 75 rounds I fired today (55 of .40, 30 of 9mm), 15 were fast, 60 were slow and deliberate.

I won't go into specifics about what he did with me. Instead, I'll simply say that it was well worth the money.

Josh is easy going and obviously excited about instructing. He may slightly over communicate. My head was swimming going into a few 5 round strings. Having said that , if you get instruction from Josh, here is how to get the most from your time:

1. Forget what you know.
2. Shut up.
3. Listen. REALLY listen.
4. Apply his direction.
5. Evaluate AFTER giving him a fair shake, not during the instruction.

Thanks, Bryce and Josh. I will be back.

- Ryan

Follow up:

Went in again. This time, I took my lady in for a fun date running scenarios and courses on the sims. We bought the extended package, which was a very nice mix of scenarios, range sims, and rapid fire. I had a lot of fun, and my lady was beaming on the way out.

The scenarios offer a LOT of real world value that you really can't get without living through life or death situations. If you carry, GO DO THIS.

While there, I picked up an order (XS Big Dot sights) that came in a lot faster than expected, at a very fair price. Travis even pressed the sights for me.

He didn't and wouldn't. That was my advice to prospective students. It's a simple reminder that you don't pay to teach the instructor.
Okay.

There's no chance I'll take advice from a source that includes such a point. I, being a free adult, make my own choice in every instance about when to speak.

If your instructor can't teach without such a point being made for him, that goes against him.

The fact that you took his class and feel compelled to bring it up seems to indicate something against him, and when coupled with the fact that you also felt compelled to advocate giving him a "fair shake" tends to turn me against him.

Taken all together, you comments seem to be damning with faint praise.

Jammer,

Thank you, sir. I actually laughed out loud reading that.

To clear up any confusion, in case anyone else thinks my post was in any way negative toward TD or Josh:

I had a great time, and I learned from Josh. More to the point, I learned information that helped improve in the area that I specifically requested help with (accuracy with speed). I came away very impressed with Josh's ability to quickly evaluate a shooter, diagnose deficiencies, and tailor material to the learner.

It was worth my time and money, and I absolutely recommend Josh as an instructor.

Went there today. Good service, guys were friendly and helpful. Not to big of a selection. I have yet to check out the range and get the full experience. Im excited for the live range to open in new location! Overall it was a good experience.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.