JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First one...thoughts on the Glock 27: :huh:

I really like these and really want one cause of the conversion barrels for 9mm and .357, I believe, AND the concealment is great. BUT man people don't want to let them go and when they do man they hold to their price! If someone has one for sale and bonus for conversion barrels and extra mags let me know.

Second one...suggestions on a .38sp/.357: :s0155:

The short of the story is my father passed on Christmas and I inherited a lot of .38 ammo. The gun that shot it was passed to another family member. So now I got this ammo and no gun to shoot it.

I want to shoot it but I do not want to be limited to .38sp so I'd like to be able to go up to .357 ammo when I want to. First am I only able to do this from a revolver? I know/think the Conan 1911 semi can do this BUT man what an investment I cannot make right now. So...suggestions? thoughts? Of course I'd like the best bang for my buck.

THANK YOU for your time viewing and responding.

I would purchase an S&W or Ruger .357 revolver. They are fine pistols. I don't know that the Coonan can take .38 Special rounds. They .357 simply wasn't made for semiauto. I know some disagree and that's OK, I just think it's made for revolvers and lever guns. How much ammo are you talking about? I hate to be nosy, but I can't help but wonder why the ammo wouldn't go with the gun. I am very sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Mine died at 52 and even if he was 102, he would have been too young. It's never easy.

I cannot comment on the Glock 27. I have no experience with them.

For the record, I have had great success with S&W 19, 28, 66, 586, 686 & 686+. Ruger GP100, SP101, Blackhawk and Speed Six. I don't say this to take away from any other gun. These are just the ones that I have personally enjoyed. Good luck. Kip.

I would purchase an S&W or Ruger .357 revolver. They are fine pistols. I don't know that the Coonan can take .38 Special rounds. They .357 simply wasn't made for semiauto. I know some disagree and that's OK, I just think it's made for revolvers and lever guns. How much ammo are you talking about? I hate to be nosy, but I can't help but wonder why the ammo wouldn't go with the gun. I am very sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Mine died at 52 and even if he was 102, he would have been too young. It's never easy.

I cannot comment on the Glock 27. I have no experience with them.

For the record, I have had great success with S&W 19, 28, 66, 586, 686 & 686+. Ruger GP100, SP101, Blackhawk and Speed Six. I don't say this to take away from any other gun. These are just the ones that I have personally enjoyed. Good luck. Kip.

Thanks for your response! My father was 64 and was scheduled to retire the week after he passed. Too young for sure!

The ammo didn't go because my mother has a S&W snub nose .38sp BUT the chances of her firing/using it is slim and she gave the go ahead to do as I please.

Which Ruger .357 do you enjoy?

For a 38/357 I would look for a police trade in, may be cosmetically challenged still a good shooter. The Glock 27 or any of the subcompact 40s are hard on my arthritic hands, the 9mm in the same gun is less so. It seams that gun prices are hi for any of the more desirable guns now and probably will get worse by election time.

Anyone have any experience or feedback on the Ruger LCR .357 Magnum?

I have one in .38 Spl+P, its an awesome carry piece and has a much better trigger than any J-frame I have ever tried. Better grips, too. That being said, I fail to see the point in an airweight, hammerless snub in .357 Magnum. Full magnum loads simply cannot burn all their powder in a snub barrel, all you get is a lot more recoil and muzzle blast and muzzle flash without much gain in velocity for a given bullet weight.

I have carried a Glock 27 for years on a daily basis. Recently, I had shoulder surgery and switched to a Ruger SP101 3" .357 because I could not use both hands to rack back the slide on the Glock. I found that the SP101 carried and concealed just as well as the Glock in an IWB Bladetech holster. I would feel well armed with either, though the Glock would be my first choice due to ammo capacity. If faced with multiple assailants, I would want to have the extra rounds on tap.

I have a G27 and really like the .40. I also have the S&W 642-2 .38, with laser grips. Either for me are great at the range of for carry.

I had the next range lane neighbor with a LCR 357; he said that for him, the LCR worked well with WWB 38 special for practice and then Hornady's 125gr 357 for social work.
We both agreed that each other's wheel gun was good in the hand, pointing, trigger and recoil.
(His attention was attracted by the red dot on my target; and so the conversation began)
Just remember that it is a short barrel ...

... 06 ... multiple assailants? I'd want body armor, ammo and cover.Or a battalion of marines. :)

I have a G27 for daily carry. I chose it both for it's compact size and versatility. I have a Lone Wolf G23 9mm conversion barrel that fits (sticks out a bit, but oh well) and some G19 magazines with grip fillers. Together they make something analogous to a G19 with a shorter sight radius. With the conversion barrel it can shoot 9mm or .40, and use any size of Glock magazine for those calibers. Very versatile!

Greg

I have a Glock 27 I bought used. It's quite a little handful at the range as there's not much to hang on to, but at the same time it's become one of my favorites. It demands a little more attention to shoot accurately. And it's been totally reliable through more than a thousand rounds.

Glock27Rght533x400.jpg

I recently acquired a gen 4 Glock 27 w/ night sights ($450 thank you LEO uncle!) I absolutely love this gun and the .40 caliber. I'm a small guy 135 5.5" and with my crossbreed Supertuck I conceal the 27 at the 4 o'clock position no problem! I would highly recommend the 27 due to its concealability, reliability, capacity, and easy maintenance. I prefer to use the Pearce magazine extender for a nice pinky hold; however, I also don't mind shooting it without. Being a smaller .40 caliber gun it is a bit snappy but after about 400 rounds I've noticed the spring has broken in, I've gotten more used to it, or a combination of both and it's an accurate and easy firearm to shoot.

I do highly recommend a crossbreed supertuck to support this awesome gun Crossbreed Holsters > Home.

I'm also a big fan of the Gen 4s and night sights.

Finally, you may enjoy this video and it's an accurate testament to this guns awesomeness. Glock 27 Gen 4 - YouTube

I bought a new Gen 4 G27 a few month ago and really enjoy the gun. Although I have run into about a dozen light primer strikes with it, I feel it was the herters ammunition I was putting through it because it's chewed up and spit out all the UMC 180 and Rem 180 I've ran through it. It's great with the concealment even with the pierce mag extensions I have on each mag. One drawback that I've ran into was being so small, it is much more difficult to maintain accuracy because of its size. Overall I'd recommend the gun to anyone who asked.

WOW great posts, thanks!

Well...I still want a Gen 3 Glock 27 with conversion barrel but I am gonna have to wait or catch a heck of a deal.

Spent some of my money on a XD9SC with lots of additions that I COULDN'T pass on for the price!

Quick question: Can a Ruger LCR .357 fire also the .38sp? Couldn't find the information online.

Also for a pocket carry I am looking at the Ruger LCP, LC9 OR SW Bodyguard.

yes, .38 in the LCR 357 will fire.
Use 38 special ammo for the range; then fire a few .357 social rounds to be happy.

For pocket carry, the SW Bodyguard is a good choice. One version has a laser.
You'll have to try one at a range for feel and fit.
Many will point out the shortcoming of the 380 round (9x17 Kurtz).
But loaded up for social work with 100gr FN makes for a close in response.

The LCR in .38 special is also a nice gun.
The LAPD have been authorized to carry either the LCR .38 or the SW Bodyguard 380 as a backup or off duty.

Last Edited:
Hi PDXWolf,
You may want to check out the Taurus Revolvers. They copyed the S & W Revolvers, a friend of mine has two. I firer both and they are just like S & W. But cost less.
Hope the helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

First one...thoughts on the Glock 27: :huh:

I really like these and really want one cause of the conversion barrels for 9mm and .357, I believe, AND the concealment is great. BUT man people don't want to let them go and when they do man they hold to their price! If someone has one for sale and bonus for conversion barrels and extra mags let me know.

Second one...suggestions on a .38sp/.357: :s0155:

The short of the story is my father passed on Christmas and I inherited a lot of .38 ammo. The gun that shot it was passed to another family member. So now I got this ammo and no gun to shoot it.

I want to shoot it but I do not want to be limited to .38sp so I'd like to be able to go up to .357 ammo when I want to. First am I only able to do this from a revolver? I know/think the Conan 1911 semi can do this BUT man what an investment I cannot make right now. So...suggestions? thoughts? Of course I'd like the best bang for my buck.

THANK YOU for your time viewing and responding.

Re: gun to shoot inherited .38 ammo - Taurus Model 66, or, its fixed sighted sibling, the model 65.
While not an owner, all I've ever heard about either of these is praise. Generally, reports are that its a solid, dependable gun that sells at a decent price.
I believe either model is available in blue or stainless and 4" or 6" barrel lengths.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top