JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My weekly estate scrounging trips have been pretty fruitful lately-here are my acquisitions so far this weekend..
I'm not trying to show off (much) but just thought you guys might appreciate some of the older stuff that's out there.

First,an Arisaka type 99; Toyo Kogyo arsenal,33rd series -Im guessing around late 1942 or early 1943 manufacture.It's all original with an excellent bore,visible Mum (Has a few punch parks :( but at least it's not all the way ground off. Now to find a stash of ammo (No,I don't reload)

A super cool Mossberg 46M! I love this thing..I've already tested it out,and it shoots great!
Has a coat of nasty shellac covering everything though,which collects dust and fuzz..Soon to be remedied.

A turn of the century Forehand Arms .32 with octagon barrel-came with a box of MODERN .32 auto (1/2 empty-WHO is the crazy person who used that ammo in this thing??!)

Lastly a Ruger single-six .22 made in 1955,judging by my rudimentary research.It has holster wear and someone engraved a drivers license or SSN on the bottom of the butt:mad:
I've tested it as well,and its a good shooter which is all that matters.

20170218_155544.jpg 20170218_155605.jpg 20170218_155556.jpg

Nice finds!
At one time I owned a really nice 46(M).
It had both rear sights ,Peep and barrel.
It shot like the proverbial house a fire.
Havlin's is a great source of parts for these.

Since the butt / frame of the Ruger is Alloy , could you file and sand the numbers off. then polish and re-blacken the frame?
Andy

Nice finds!
At one time I owned a really nice 46(M).
It had both rear sights ,Peep and barrel.
It shot like the proverbial house a fire.
Havlin's is a great source of parts for these.

Since the butt / frame of the Ruger is Alloy , could you file and sand the numbers off. then polish and re-blacken the frame?
Andy
Thanks Andy!
Mine is missing the peep sight,but Ive located a proper Mossberg No.4 for it-however,since its factory drilled 'n tapped,I might go for one of the '40's period super long Unertl type scopes-I think they look SO cool!

Dang - a few nice scores you have there Stuka. Every time I go to an Estate sale all I can find are cheap ceramic animals, old cookware and a bunch of 33 1/2 albums I would never listen too.

Well,Russ,you can keep THOSE estate sales and I'll keep mine!
Honestly, I can't begin to recount the countless hours I've spent looking at crap like that-gotta take the good with the bad..thankfully I have various other oddball interests besides guns,so I try to make the best of it!

Wiped down the stock on the Mossberg-I do believe it is nicotine residue rather than shellac..NASTY!
I was a paperboy from 6th grade until 10th grade. There were many houses I delivered to who I would now consider senior shut-ins. It seemed I was their only visitor from the outside, and I would stand there in the blue haze of cigar and gray cigarette smoke, politely listening to the folk talk. I would notice the blue tint to the windows but never understood what it was until many years later.

In retrospect, I'm deeply grateful I did. I heard fascinating stories of the depression, what they did for fun then, and what it was like here in America during the War, their sons and neighbors' sons fighting and dying. One of my favorite ones was how one grandpa made apricot brandy during prohibition. You saw a lot of strange stuff as a paperboy, picking up your bundles at 4am.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
Really didn't expect such a reaction.
It's really great that there are so many of you interested in COOL stuff instead of just Glocks and ARs:p

So you just make your offer and then agree to meet at the FFL later? Do you leave a deposit? Just curious because I like older guns too but never have gone to estate sales to look for them.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews