JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So...
I have this Remington 700, 300 RUM.
I took it in on a trade a long time ago
All that is stamped on it is "700" no variant like "BDL", "SPS" or whatever.
Is this simply known as a, Remington "700"?
Thank you for answering what may be a dumb question to some.

So...
I have this Remington 700, 300 RUM.
I took it in on a trade a long time ago
All that is stamped on it is "700" no variant like "BDL", "SPS" or whatever.
Is this simply known as a, Remington "700"?
Thank you for answering what may be a dumb question to some.
Some of those RUM's were "Sendero" contour and therefore called the Sendero.
Take you calipers and check the contour.
Easy to find contour drawings on line.

Thank you both for posting.
I was able to contact the person who traded me (who I thought had moved back to the UK) and it is a 700 BDL .300 Ultra Mag. (RUM)
He did say that when he purchased it, he shipped it to American Bluing, and had it parkerized.
He said it is in a Houge Rubberized Stock, and added he picatinny rail, and told me he test fired it twice with the Nikon Scope (which I also have) and that was it.
It's been in my safe for about 10 years.

IMG_4146.jpg IMG_4145.jpg IMG_4144.jpg IMG_4142-4K.jpg

That first picture, "300 Remington..," that's your caliber. It likely says "300 Remington Ultra Magnum", but your photo cuts it off.

I could be mistaken, but I always thought the ADL, BDL, SPS, etc. designation was more of a description of what kind of stock, buttplate, fore-end cap, floorplate, etc., were attached to a Model 700 action. If you put an aftermarket stock on, it would sort of make the BDL designation a moot point.

I could be mistaken, but I always thought the ADL, BDL, SPS, etc. designation was more of a description of what kind of stock, buttplate, fore-end cap, floorplate, etc., were attached to a Model 700 action. If you put an aftermarket stock on, it would sort of make the BDL designation a moot point.
It is.

Yes and no.
BDL does describe a certain "trim level" but it also means "Model 700 with hinged floor plate".
Whereas ADL would also describe a certain trim level but a blind magazine (no hinged floor plate).

So this rifle may have shipped with a nice BDL stock that was taken off and replaced with the Hogue.
Some owners might do that to save the wood stock from hunting nicks and bruises.

Yes and no.
BDL does describe a certain "trim level" but it also means "Model 700 with hinged floor plate".
Whereas ADL would also describe a certain trim level but a blind magazine (no hinged floor plate).

So this rifle may have shipped with a nice BDL stock that was taken off and replaced with the Hogue.
Some owners might do that to save the wood stock from hunting nicks and bruises.
I don't think the stamp would indicate that though.

Yes and no.

Yeah. Maybe I didn't do a good job of communicating, but I had "floorplate" in my list. I guess I wouldn't try to sell/advertise a BDL that had the original stock swapped out as a BDL unless I still had that stock to put back on it.

Now they have kits where you can ditch the floorplate and replace it with a removable magazine. I've never done it though.

More info. The old boy I traded from was incorrect. Can't blame him as he is a very old 94. (worse than Uncle Joe)
Cut off in my photo from the stock, it is stamped "300 Ultra Mag"
It has a fixed floor plate

Now they have kits where you can ditch the floorplate and replace it with a removable magazine.
I converted my Rem 700 (SA) with HS Precision stock from BDL to removable magazine. Several options but since I had the HS Precision stock, I just went with theirs (it was quite the wait for the parts though, maybe 4-6 months). It fit with only a little inletting of the stock where the magazine release mechanism was. Fairly simple, easy process to do but I did lose 1 round capacity for the convenience of the removable magazine (from 5 to 4). There are some kits that use AICS magazines but the HS Precision uses proprietary ones.

"Fixed floor plate" ?
So there isn't a button somewhere that releases it ?
Never heard of that.
I've got an old Remington model 722 that has fixed metal ahead of the trigger guard and below the magazine, but my 700's either have a hinged floor plate, or wood for the blind magazine. Obviously though the OP's rifle is a 700 not a 722.

I suppose there are a lot of model 700's that have been produced in the 30 years since I last bought one though. So, I guess anything is possible.

What you have there is a certified mutt! Not necessarily a bad thing but she is far from how she left the factory. I would definitely shoot it before considering selling it. I bought a slightly used Rem 700 LSS (laminate stainless steel) in 338 Rum. It was the most accurate factory rifle I have ever been around. It also killed at both ends.

I can see that this rifle shipped as a stainless model of some flavor.
Hence the "parkerizing" story and I can "see" traces of a stainless finish in the pics.
1) It somehow ended up in a Hogue stock
2) The non-opening metal floorplate on a Model 700 is a mystery

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top