JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been rolling around the idea of letting go of my Glock 32 and replacing it with a Sig 226 or 229 in 357. I have fired the 229 in 40/357 and liked it, the only real gripe that I had was how thick the gun was but the recoil as far as muzzle jump goes was significantly less. I do enjoy the 32 and have grown quite attached to it however with the way things are going something tells me get what you want now before availability gets worse.
So I have 7 mags total, a factory 23 barrel, a Galco thumb break IWB, extended slide release, and the gun a Gen3 model 32 with about 1250 rounds down range. My question is does this sound like a reasonable trade for a 226 or 229? I have seen those models on sale for around $750 as well as Certified Preowned for less. Any input on the subject is much appreciated.

Last Edited:
Have you given any thought to the P239? I have it in .40 which enables ,e to have a drop in .357 Sig barrel. It's a superb carry gun that's essentially a notched down single stack p229. Great ergonomics in that the reduced dimensions make it one of the few Sigs that fit my relatively small hands.

So I have been rolling around the idea of letting go of my Glock 32 and replacing it with a Sig 226 or 229 in 357. I have fired the 229 in 40/357 and liked it, the only real gripe that I had was how thick the gun was but the recoil as far as muzzle jump goes was significantly less. I do enjoy the 32 and have grown quite attached to it however with the way things are going something tells me get what you want now before availability gets worse.
So I have 7 mags total, a factory 23 barrel, a Galco thumb break IWB, extended slide release, and the gun a Gen3 model 32 with about 1250 rounds down range. My question is does this sound like a reasonable trade for a 226 or 229? I have seen those models on sale for around $750 as well as Certified Preowned for less. Any input on the subject is much appreciated.

Spend another $90 and add this to a Sig P229 in .357 Sig, and you will really have the cat's meow in less muzzle jump!

Amazon.com : DPM Systems SIG SAUER P 228-P229 9mm 40s&w 357SIG : Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/DPM-Systems-SAUER-228-P229-357SIG/dp/B014GBONC4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=41HPhA5KDAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=AAJE8QTJ3G403NXK8575)

One spring is for 9mm, the other for .40 S&W and 357 Sig:

61fpIkIuhzL._SL1001_.jpg

Have you given any thought to the P239? I have it in .40 which enables ,e to have a drop in .357 Sig barrel. It's a superb carry gun that's essentially a notched down single stack p229. Great ergonomics in that the reduced dimensions make it one of the few Sigs that fit my relatively small hands.
More looking at full size double stacks for capacity and barrel length, plus a friend of mine collects 226's and 229's so when either of us find mags at a good price we can both pick them up. I would definitely like to shoot a 239 if the opportunity were to arise...

Love my 239 in 40. Very accurate after thousands of rounds. Stopped counting a long time ago after 5k rounds. Only downside is low capacity 8 per mag with a one round extension base plate. Also it's a heavy gun, so a good belt is a must. Still want a 226 or 229, but I keep buying ammo instead

I prefer my P229 to my G21 even though the latter is ported. I much prefer the DA/SA trigger to the striker in the Glock, so much so that I won't get any more striker based pistols if I can avoid it. The ergos are much better too. The recoil and slide operation during firing isn't as smooth as I heard, but a bit smoother than the Glock.

Lance, thanks for the heads up I will definitely have to keep an eye on that as anything that reduces muzzle climb and shortens time between follow up shots is a good thing.

It really is quite an advanced recoil reduction guide. This photo has cutaways in the rod, showing the additional springs. So there are actually a total of 3 different springs working together.

ff3.jpg

They are manufactured in Europe, and shipped from their USA office in Las Vegas, NV:

<broken link removed>

I have carried the Sig P226, Glock 17, Glock 22, HK USP and the M&P for various contracting and law enforcement jobs. I mention this because I have experienced myself and seen with others the learning curve between a striker fired and DA/SA gun. I started with the G17 and G22 and then transitioned to the USP. The USP variant I was issued had a decocker/safety and we carried it decocked on a loaded chamber with the safety on. Making the transition took several 1000 round days of learning the new controls and the DA trigger pull. As an experienced shooter, I made the transition faster than others but there were a couple hiccups, mostly remembering to decock the gun. I then went to carrying a P226, which took a little getting used to because of the location of the controls. As far as ergos and the feeling of "well made", the Sig is my favorite. Now I'm carrying an M&P which operates like a Glock but has the ergos of the Sig. I find the M&P to be one of the easiest guns to shoot but I dont get the warm feelings that I get with Sig.

Picked up a lightley used 226 in 40S&W yesterday for $430. If weather permits shooting tonight I'll report back with pics of the gun and targets... I already haven't been able to stop smiling especially at the price I paid, I sure hope this continues. :)

IMG_20160723_220709.jpg IMG_20160723_220743.jpg IMG_20160723_220846.jpg IMG_20160723_220808.jpg IMG_20160723_195054.jpg IMG_20160723_220904.jpg IMG_20160723_221121.jpg So I am one happy camper I took out the Sig and it shot flawless, lots of 180gr. plated and some HP's. As the target shows I had some difficulty with the longer trigger but the break was very nice, recoil was very good that all metal frame makes it seem like a 9mm instead of a 40. I can't wait to get a 357 barrel and give that a try. But as nice as the Sig was to shoot I had to appease the all powerful Glock and was able to satisfy the itch with a Glock 20. :)

All my different handguns I fall in love with and once I get good with it, I tend to shoot a completely different one and fall in love with that one all over again repeating the cycle. Ah the spice of life. Honestly, I haven't been let down by any of them except for my 1911 which will have 2 malfunctions out of 200 rounds or so (not that bad really). I carry the sig because I'm always accurate with it and it's an unstoppable tank. Thanks for the Update

The terrible part is me and the girlfriend did some quick shooting to ensure we could keep it under control and I had no problem keeping it on paper but she kept 10 rounds in a 3.5'' group on the right hand side... I find it funny that some ladies take to shooting so naturally and yet very few are avid shooters, it's still my pistol though so if she takes a liking to it she'll have to buy her own.;)

The terrible part is me and the girlfriend did some quick shooting to ensure we could keep it under control and I had no problem keeping it on paper but she kept 10 rounds in a 3.5'' group on the right hand side... I find it funny that some ladies take to shooting so naturally and yet very few are avid shooters, it's still my pistol though so if she takes a liking to it she'll have to buy her own.;)
Good luck with that:eek:

I find that women have fewer bad habits to break and they tend to listento listen better. I find the biggest issue with women is they dont seem to be as interested in the mechanics of a gun. Knowing how something works really helps bridge the gap between a casual paper puncher and someone who can run a gun.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews