JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am 31 years old and have had the same type of job for 11 years and at the same company for 7 years. I have a warehouse job I receive raw grains and flour. I'm just not satisfied at the end of the day I don't feel like I have really used my brain much.

I keep getting told to go in to a skilled trade. I have been thinking about maybe plumbing. I hear there is a lot of demand for them right now so sounds like a good place to start.

Who works a trade and loves there job? Why? I would love to here from y'all and kinda help talk me in to it.

A company. I just see making my own appointment being a headache I don't really want. But if I ended up being confident in what I do I'm guessing that would change.

I went to HVAC school but got on a government prevailing wage job and quit to make the big bucks and didn't end up staying in that field. I have recommended HVAC to my son, school can be completed in 2 years and you can be a Journeyman in 5 making $100K a year. I have several friends that are Journeyman and are doing quite well. Chemekta had a program in Oregon City bu that was in the early 90's. If math comes easily to you, it might be a good fit.

When I'm actually working I am a Plumber/Pipefitter. Non affectionately called a Plitter or Counterfitter. Anyhow I have been Plumbing and Fitting for over 20 years. You can make a good living. It can be some back breaking work, but it can be fun and the pay can be really really good. I got the most enjoyment out of piping up mechanical rooms. Nothing like it to me. Figuring out how you're gonna cram it all in there and get it to work correctly and look good at the same time.

Crawling under houses just flat sucks. I know old guys who did it, but IMO that is a young mans game. I'm not that old but I never look forward to a good old crawl under a house.

If you can find a little extra fire inside yourself starting your own business after you 'turn out' or finish your apprenticeship is absolutely the way to go. Wish I would have. I just talked a buddy of mine into getting into the trade. He was working what I looked at as a dead end job. He has 2 years left of Apprenticeship and I believe he's making about $30 an hour now with decent benefits.

So trades aren't too bad. The commercial and industrial stuff pays better, but you are breathing in lord knows what all day on the job site. I really think a lot of that stuff isn't quite as innocuous as they let on.

I always tell those interested in joining the trades to go be a sparky. They always stay clean.

I was a self employed Oregon contractor that did custom remodeling and new home construction for over 30 years.
I basically did everything starting from the ground on up to the roof.
Concrete work was the hardest and electrical wiring was the easiest. Plumbing was in the middle.
If I had to pick one trade, I wouldn't pick plumbing.

If you could get into an electrical apprenticeship program, i would recommend the low voltage path.
Everything is lightweight, it won't kill you if you make a mistake and everything is going towards wireless systems.

Well, here's a tale for you... My Dad had a commercial plumbing/heating shop when I was growing up. When I graduated from high school i took college classes until noon, changed into work clothes and worked till 5pm except on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I went to apprenticeship school from 5pm until 8 or 8:30...somewhere in there. Nights I wasn't in apprenticeship class I was doing homework.. Long story short, i worked the trade for about 6 years as a plumber and certified pipe welder...its a great living and you learn lots. However it does wear on the body. I was able to transition later in life out of the field and became a licensed engineer.... The field experience really makes a difference in your skillset as an engineer. I am north of 6 figures a year as an engineer.... I highly recommend a skilled trade as a plumber or electrician, just make a plan to be able to get out of the field work when going up and down ladders sucks your breath away :D

So not a tradesman but I a friend's son is. We are the same age. He did the trades route - electrician. He's now a foreman pulling down close to six figures with OT. The union subsidizes your schooling if you get into their program and you earn a decent working wage while in school. He loves his job. If I was not so committed to what I am doing or had to start fresh I would for sure look into that. Or HVAC - I met a lot of guys from the big Intel construction gig who were plumbers that wished they were HVAC or electricians just because plumber/pipefitter work was so hard on their body. IIRC HVAC workers are part of the plumbers & pipefitters union for some reason.

I am retired IBEW 48 (Portland) electrician 37 years. It is a good trade very diverse
in scope of work. I wanted to start my own business but now I am glad I didn't.
The retirement benefits are fantastic. 100% paid by employer.
In a time when few people have a pension anymore.
Early retirement at 60 with medical paid for the next 5 years. Collect 100% of
my largest pension at 60. Which is taking home more than I would make working
40 hour week. Plus 2 more pensions I will receive 100% of at 62. Big shortage of
electricians now. I would recommend a IBEW career. I never thought much about
retirement when I was young raising a family and paying the bills. But I am sure
glad now I have earned a good retirement.:rolleyes:International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers | IBEW Local 48

I used to be a diesel mech, but I quickly saw that everybody and their dogs thought they too were a mech because they could pickup a wrench or screwdriver. Also, I knew, sooner or later, I would get old and not be able to lay on my back under some greasy dirty piece of equipment and have oil and dirt and grease fall on me anymore.

So I went into electronics because I found it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, I do have brains and a lot more people think they can't understand electronics.

From there I went where the money was - software. So now I sit in an office looking at a computer screen 8 hours a day. It does take some aptitude and attitude and persistence, but I am constantly learning new things and I taught myself. I have 25 years of experience at it and make a six figure salary. The downside is that not every city has software jobs - but if you are good enough you can work remote/from home.

It is all about supply and demand. The more demand and the less supply, the easier it is to get a job and make more money. Does everybody think they can do simple plumbing? Many people do. I think that a lot of the plumbing jobs are in construction, which is seasonal and cyclical. Others are in maintenance of buildings. Personally I don't like fixing someone's leaky toilet or sink - BTDT - and no, I don't think it takes a lot of brains once you know what to do. YMMV.

I do metal erection and architectural metal work. I can tell you it seems like every trade on a job site has a tenth or less what I do invested in tools and makes more money per hour...

I have been a HVAC worker for 15 years. I got into the trade by accident and it has really paid off. Finished my apprenticeship in 2008.
All skilled trades are dying for people to join who have a solid work ethic and who aren't afraid to work. I can count 12 tower cranes from my site as I post this ( pearl District )

Any skilled trade would be the way to go
Especially mechanical route, Elevator mechanic, HVAC, pipe fitters, plumbers.
And electrical. Trust me, you will use your brain and have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

I have a buddy that is a plumber. He told me that the average age for journeymen is 55 and they are having trouble getting young men into the apprenticeship program. You work full time and go to class two nights a week for 4 years. You can make $100,000 a year. Prevailing wage jobs are $58/hr. It can be hard dirty work. I was a HVAC guy and was never out of a job. HVAC can be a lot more technical and typically pays less IMO.

I did a Job in Eugene for BPA and my scale for a pipe fitters was $69.75 on the check.
HVAC has a lot more licensing in my opinion.
I have low volt license and Soon a class 3 boiler to maintain. My buddy is a elevator mechanic for KONE and he makes the super bank roll. Any trade will pay off for you in my opinion. Keep in mind As a HVAC tech you will be on call, depending on your depth of people will dictate how often. That may be something to consider.

If you can, spend a day with each of the tradesmen. The best ones I've met always have a mind that works in ways conducive to their trade. If you think in three dimensions, look at plumber, fitter, machinist. Sparkys have to do a lo of three dimensional work and also think about the intangibles like delta or wye configurations, and branch circuit loading, etc. Roping houses would be the most boring end of that trade.
Also understand, if you do think on the job and you develop deep skills in your field, you will experience, many times, being brought in to assemble something that is wrong, unsafe, or won't work very well. In my experience, it's a 60:40 chance you will be ignored, or worse, rudely rejected because, "you don't know what you're talking about." Have a thick skin, don't take stuff personally, life will be easier.
What I'm trying to say is this: rather than approach it from "I think I'd like to...", try approaching it from some hands-on experience where you can envision the actual, daily tasks you would be doing.
No matter what you do, every job has its drudgery, and it's up to you whether or not your learning curve stays flat. If you have an active mind, I suspect it won't stay flat....
One warning: if you tend to be a risk taker, think after you act, avoid some trades like electrical or ironworker. Those are the guys we read about and watch in safety videos.
Good luck!

So not a tradesman but I a friend's son is. We are the same age. He did the trades route - electrician. He's now a foreman pulling down close to six figures with OT. The union subsidizes your schooling if you get into their program and you earn a decent working wage while in school. He loves his job. If I was not so committed to what I am doing or had to start fresh I would for sure look into that. Or HVAC - I met a lot of guys from the big Intel construction gig who were plumbers that wished they were HVAC or electricians just because plumber/pipefitter work was so hard on their body. IIRC HVAC workers are part of the plumbers & pipefitters union for some reason.
HVAC Contractors are typically under Sheetmetal Workers Union. I worked for an Engineering firm and had to join SMW Local 16 because we drill holes in ductwork. That's okay though...$40/hr as a SM Journeyman (because I have been since the 80s) is fine w/me

Edited to add for the OP: You can join SMW Local 16 and they will run you through the apprentice program with your monthly dues being the only cost to you if I remember correctly. Dues for a journeyman are around $65/month.

But I would go with low voltage electrical and refrigeration if I had to do it all over again...lots of low hanging fruit there and you can do it on your own.

Tradesmen are like cowboys, you end up old sooner then you should be. I saw so many guys at 50 that looked like they were pushing 70.

If you have the means and time, go find a profession that require more brain then brawn imo.

When your driving a sports car you can go to a gym for your excersise.

This is coming from a non-diploma' guy who has (and still am) worked with my hands and troubleshooting experience all my life. But I have a family and am 40 so it a little hard to change now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top