JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, though we do not have many in the line up, I have found the snub-nose revolver a very handy piece. Small, light, easy to carry, and with practice, able to put lead where it needs to go. I am thinking of expanding upon our holdings of said.

Presently, these little fellows are what we have here. The top is a .357 Magnum (though normally loaded with .38 Special +P cartridges) and below a .38 S&W:

snubs.jpg

What are your favorite snubs? Any you recommend I pickup? Any to avoid? Thanks!

I've a couple of 2" .38's, a 1980's vintage Taurus 85, very smooth trigger. A great S&W 36 knockoff...

I also have a recent vintage Rossi 358 in stainless, not as smooth as the 85, but serviceable. Was an impulse buy because I couldn't resist the price.

If we're talking 2" .38's, I'd like to add a Colt Detective Special (probably 3rd edition). If we're talking any 2" revolver, then a S&W 19 2.5" .357, preferably round butt.

I'm kinda eclectic in my tastes...

Edited - duh, you already got the snobby .357 covered... Second choice would be the new Colt Cobra...

I think the Taurus Model 85 is always worth a look. I wouldn't buy one without handling it first.

For a little more dough though, a J frame S&W will net you a quality piece with more grip options and reliable customer service. The Airweight models can be brutal with heavy loads if you plan to shoot it a lot.

My favorite snub was an LCR in .357 but I had a Taurus 856 that held six rounds that carried just a bit heavier and six always beats five.

I like the k frame 38 snubs like model 10 and model 15. I have larger hands and they seem to fit better. I currently have a model 15 for carry currently my wife has a model 36 ladys special she likes a lot.

Looked at one of the new Colt Cobra's the other day.
Got to say... I don't think I could be more Underwhelmed.

Rough finish, horrible trigger, sharp unfinished edges, stiff action and cylinder release, definitely not the Colt I am used to.
Seemed more like a really crappy example of a Charter Arms or other cheaper brand revolver. That might be a little harsh, I think the Charter Arms guns I have handled were of much better quality than the new Colt Cobra.

The first carry gun I owned was a Ruger Security Six with a 2,74 barrel.
It was a bit on the heavy side , but shot very nicely and handled recoil well , even with stout .357 magnum loads.
Why I traded it off....I have no Idea now....:eek:
Andy

+1 on the S&W 642 Airweight.

I love it. I enjoy this model because of it's overall weight, concealability, it's hammerless and it has a hand friendly bore axis. I barely notice it after about 20 minutes of wearing it. Recoil is a little jumpy when using higher than 120gr or +P loads, but definitely manageable. I personally don't mind a little recoil as long as it doesn't affect repeat shots on the target.

It's not a gun that I would heavily practice with but I do take it out to the range from time to time. Something to consider if recoil is a concern would be the same gun in stainless, the model 640. I have been entertaining the idea of a 640, as it would provide less recoil to train on, while keeping the platform the same.

The 642s show up used quite frequently. I picked one up at Cabela's for $350 out the door.

Smith 686 .357mag, smith 66 .357 mag, and Ruger Security 6 .357.
I like a snubby that can be used to hunt with if I want. Or take out that rabbit who has been wiping out my pea or bean plantings. I should be able to keep everything on a 9-inch paper plate at 40 yards offhand with it. (SA; two hands)

To do that for me, the gun has to be a full size and full weight gun with full size adjustable sights and a light crisp SA. No J frames or light weight guns need apply. I simply can't shoot them that well. Buddy, my current edc, qualifies. He is a 686-4 snubby, that is, pre-lock, and firing pin on the hammer, L frame. He weighs 36oz unloaded and has the full lug that gives a muzzle-heavy balance. I like the weight and muzzle heavy balance, as it makes the recoil even with hot .357 loads no big deal. In addition, in shooting with one hand with hand close to hip, as might be required if an attacker were at near contact distances, the heavy muzzle helps my hand know where the muzzle is and aim properly--not trivial when the gun is not in the line of sight at all and the muzzle is light.

If you don't like the muzzle heavy feel, or want a little less weight, I would suggest the smith 66 .357. Like the 686, it's stainless steel, medium sized, with full size adjustable sights. It's K frame instead of L. That is a little lighter built, without the full underlugged barrel. It weighs 33.5 oz unloaded.

Of course, if you buy new you can get a 686 Plus, which has 7 rounds. Or a 627, which is an N frame .357 8-shooter. But this means guns with the lock. I prefer the older pre-lock Smiths.

The Ruger .357 snubby Security 6 also fits my criteria. One of those was my edc for years before the L frame 686 was invented.

The snubbies that I described are amazingly shootable. I can actually shoot them as well offhand as I can the same model with a 6 inch barrel. Only if I have a more stable position can I do better with the longer barrel.

There are smith .44mag snubbies too, however, I prefer longer barrels for .44mag and .44 for longer barrels, and .357 for snubbies.

Last Edited:
Smith 686 .357mag, smith 66 .357 mag, and Ruger Security 6 .357.
I like a snubby that can be used to hunt with if I want. Or take out that rabbit who has been wiping out my pea or bean plantings. I should be able to keep everything on a 9-inch paper plate at 40 yards offhand with it. (SA; two hands)

To do that for me, the gun has to be a full size and full weight gun with full size adjustable sights and a light crisp SA. No J frames or light weight guns need apply. I simply can't shoot them that well. Buddy, my current edc, qualifies. He is a 686-4 snubby, that is, pre-lock, and firing pin on the hammer, L frame. He weighs 36oz unloaded and has the full lug that gives a muzzle-heavy balance. I like the weight and muzzle heavy balance, as it makes the recoil even with hot .357 loads no big deal. In addition, in shooting with one hand with hand close to hip, as might be required if an attacker were at near contact distances, the heavy muzzle helps my hand know where the muzzle is and aim properly--not trivial when the gun is not in the line of sight at all and the muzzle is light.

If you don't like the muzzle heavy feel, or want a little less weight, I would suggest the smith 66 .357. Like the 686, it's stainless steel, medium sized, with full size adjustable sights. It's K frame instead of L. That is a little lighter built, without the full underlugged barrel. It weighs 33.5 oz unloaded.

Of course, if you buy new you can get a 686 Plus, which has 7 rounds. Or a 627, which is an N frame .357 8-shooter. But this means guns with the lock. I prefer the older pre-lock Smiths.

The Ruger .357 snubby Security 6 also fits my criteria. One of those was my edc for years before the L frame 686 was invented.

The snubbies that I described are amazingly shootable. I can actually shoot them as well offhand as I can the same model with a 6 inch barrel. Only if I have a more stable position can I do better with the longer barrel.

There are smith .44mag snubbies too, however, I prefer longer barrels for .44mag and .44 for longer barrels, and .357 for snubbies.
I always enjoy your writings about revolvers. You can tell you have a lot of experience with them and are that you are a fanatic. :s0090:

My wife has a S&W 642 Airweight with factory Crimson Trace grips (the longer ones) that's a great little gun, but since she bought a Glock 43 in Tiffany Blue it's not carried anymore.

I once had a 649 2 1/8" 357. Damn stupid thing letting that one go. Was a literal blast with 158gr JHP mag loads. Serious power in a little package.

So limiting to 2" revolvers, I thought this was a good compromise, a 2" Taurus 617, seven rounds of pure .357 magnum pleasure.... It's wearing Altamont grips, because I prefer wood grips on my steel firearms... It's in the K frame size range...

20FD8E13-B131-4B31-9D18-0DDA79A5F2A7.jpeg

As much as butchering a Webley upsets me, I still want it. I guess it is like taking in a foster child...

Well, i'm not sure if this qualifies or not, but it's sort of a semi-snub!
Ruger SP101 3" in .357mag!
5E8905F5-86C7-4B98-8FEC-EEB66775C24B.jpeg
Still working on making some nice grip panels for it tho!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top