JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These threads are always hilarious. As to summer silliness ... how about a 9㎜ Corto playing peekaboo among the greenery? :p

View attachment 719254
I posted about this pistol and my 1973 PPK/s. Is it worth the money? I have had mine for around 35 years and love it, but it only cost me $350 used in the 80"s. I guess with inflation that the new ones aren't that out of line on cost.

Are you saying we should rely on headshots? Otherwise I'm not sure what you're trying to say here? While it does happen, like that famous church security team member (Jack Wilson) who stopped that mass shooting early on, for me, personally, I'm not relying on that level of skill and luck. It should be noted that Wilson was using a .357 Sig fired from a Sig P229.
From vids of actual shootings, one to the face/head, for whatever reason, no matter the caliber, seems to immediately stop the aggression. Not saying they were intended - it is simply how they came to pass. That's all.

Are you saying we should rely on headshots? Otherwise I'm not sure what you're trying to say here? While it does happen, like that famous church security team member (Jack Wilson) who stopped that mass shooting early on, for me, personally, I'm not relying on that level of skill and luck. It should be noted that Wilson was using a .357 Sig fired from a Sig P229.
He's saying you should always go hand to hand with these modern day genetically modified berserkers you describe.

Do any of you own a GLOCK - G42 in .380?

How do you like it for a small conceal carry pistol?

What factory ammunition do you like the best for this Glock model?

Two or three top favorite brands and in what grain? FMJ or HP?

I am thinking about this for my husband.

He usually carries a Glock in 45acp 95% of the time or his Beretta Bobcat Inox in 22lr at his gym.

Thank you.

Cate
Yes, my wife carries one.
The only issue with the G42 is ammo related. You must find ammo with =/+ 185ft/lbs muzzle energy to cycle reliably. We use Hornaday Critical Defense and Underwood Ammo 90 Grain Xtreme Penetrator (242 ft/lbs). Both of these brands cycle 100% reliable.

Yes, my wife carries one.
The only issue with the G42 is ammo related. You must find ammo with =/+ 185ft/lbs muzzle energy to cycle reliably. We use Hornaday Critical Defense and Underwood Ammo 90 Grain Xtreme Penetrator (242 ft/lbs). Both of these brands cycle 100% reliable.

Thank you for the reply!

I will show my husband this when he gets home from his walk and the gym.

Cate

Regarding these 'controversial' head shots: I have a theory that they occur during robberies since the robbers are shouting commands, profanities and whatever they cannot think of. Like a moth to a flame, the armed defender's attention is redirected to the source of the unpleasantness: their mouth/head.

Of course, center mass is much to be preferred, but we see the head being targeted for some reason.

I don't know what yard line that you draw your line on, but most encounters are just a few feet away and I can easily take a person down with a 380. 1 to the head and 2 In the chest. An important thing is the type of ammunition you use! 77 year old experienced shooter!

I don't know what yard line that you draw your line on, but most encounters are just a few feet away and I can easily take a person down with a 380. 1 to the head and 2 In the chest. An important thing is the type of ammunition you use! 77 year old experienced shooter!

Every Veteran learns to have a plan to reach out to the hearts and minds of everyone they meet...

I was given a .25 acp. Nice little gun I was able to print well on paper with. A couple weeks later I shot a 2x4 scrap and 1/2 if the bullets bounced off at 25 ft. Still wouldn't want to get hit by one, but a bit safer to use inside a home. As long as you could hit someone with every round you had.

All the comments boil down to personal preferences and experience. One consideration not mentioned is the future availability of .380 ammo and 9mm in the growing chaotic, anti-gun movement among the libtards. You can obtain 9mm just about anywhere in the world but not .380.
As a licensed FFL and custom reloader, I do not even have .380 dies in my shop for reloading, but I do have 9mm, .40,.45 (ACP & Colt), .38/.357 dies

I recently bought a Kimber Micro380, love the gun for it's concealability and accuracy. It has all feel of a 1911 and quality a Kimber would have. I bought it strictly for close up self defense. It fits easily into a cargo pants / shorts pocket and does not print. I carry Hornady Critical Defense and don't feel under gunned. Like it has been said before, I wouldn't want to get shot by a 380 or even a 22.

I'd like to find a medium-size 380 auto that is a recoil operated, locked breech design. The blowback pistols are surprisingly "snappy".
Try a Bersa Thunder CC variant. They changed the shape of the back strap on the CC and added finger grooves (see my avatar). It's more rounded and seems to nestle into the palm of your hand, and the mag holds an extra round. I'm not a tough guy, yet I find it very comfortable to shoot as many mags of .380 as I'm willing to pay for. (Full disclosure: I did sea-kayak over 40 miles in one day recently (with a few miles of assistance from the tidal currents; call it 35 honest miles), so my wrists may not be COMPLETELY limp. ;) )

Sights are tiny, but I can group ok at the range in slow fire. When you're in a hurry, better learn to point-shoot, though.

The gun likes WWB 95 grain flat-points. Since denim tests often show .380 HPs are uncertain to expand, the FPs may be almost as damaging.

Last Edited:
There are numerous arguments I can make for why I'd choose a 9mm over a .380. Those arguments are even more applicable if the person hasn't chosen a gun to purchase yet, as I see no reason when buying a new gun to ever choose a .380 over a 9mm. There are just far too many 9mm handguns that are similar sized, and priced to ever choose the .380 over the 9mm.
In addition the 9mm ammo is more readily available, cheaper, and a much wider selection of types of loads.
I've always owned full size 9mm like my S&W 59, Browning Hi Power, or CZ52. But when I went looking for a more compact carry gun, I never considered a .380, as there's just too many great 9mm compacts to choose instead.

Many years ago I had a Walther ppks and a Mauser hsc
I was function testing some fmj loads at an alder tree at about 10 or 15 feet,and one of the bullets bounced back at me and hit me in the stomach and fell to the ground.
I sold both guns . I now carry a Walther p-22. both are pretty much a gut buster, just keep pulling the trigger until the threat is gone

Not to be argumentative but I'm gonna have to test these stories of small calibers bouncing off of wood next range day.
My 32 (Keltec P32) definitely shot into a wood block. The 380? Of course.

That little 25 ACP mostly sank them into the backstop, but not all. The backstop was a 1/2" sheet of 5 ply nailed to a large "lilypad" fir block, to restore a smooth surface after taking a beating. The ply is technically a composite I guess, and the grain isn't end-on, so it's not super soft. But we're talking firearms, not pea-shooters. I expected better.

As a data point, look at the reloading data for 25 ACP ....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews