JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many years ago there was an officer in I believe Whatcom County shot in the forehead at very close range with a 25ACP. He returned fire and killed the suspect. The 25ACP round basically embedded slightly into his skull but did not penetrate. A short-barrel 25ACP is almost useless (and I'm not sure anyone makes a 25ACP with a barrel longer than 2.5" or so).
The .25 is way better than the .22 out of pocket guns.

I'm curious then, do we tend to see the same thing happening with .22lr pocket guns? My understanding is the ballistics of the two are nearly identical from a mouse gun as all of the figures for .22lr's much higher velocity come from firing from rifle barrels.

I would think so, although a suppressed Beretta 21a has supposedly been a favorite of various covert operatives all over the world. But they're usually used at distances measured in inches rather than feet.

The Israeli Mossad seems to like Beretta 22s too.

I'm curious then, do we tend to see the same thing happening with .22lr pocket guns? My understanding is the ballistics of the two are nearly identical from a mouse gun as all of the figures for .22lr's much higher velocity come from firing from rifle barrels.
.22 short about equals a .25 auto. .22 long rifle definatly out performs a .25

.22 short about equals a .25 auto. .22 long rifle definatly out performs a .25
That appears to be the case when you look at ballistic charts, but when you compare them from the same length barrel, it's not true. The .22lr looses a lot of velocity when fired from a short mouse-gun barrel, making it pretty much ballistically identical to the .25acp.

That appears to be the case when you look at ballistic charts, but when you compare them from the same length barrel, it's not true. The .22lr looses a lot of velocity when fired from a short mouse-gun barrel, making it pretty much ballistically identical to the .25acp.

I had a Jennings .25 and a Jennings .22, same barrel length. The .22 long out performed the .25 in any and every way. The .22 short had much better penetration than the .25

Ya. I love the care, precision, and beautiful finish Colt put into a gun that can, could, maybe, might, kill you.:D

View attachment 720590

I have your pistol's European cousin, an FN Browning 6.35mm. Alongside is big brother, my grandfather's Colt Commercial Government Model from the late '40s.

IMG_9352[1].jpg

My 380 inventory includes a Browning BDA, Colt Mustang XSP (Now Lite), Glock 42 (two of them), Kahr CW-380, Remington RM-380, Rugers LCP, LCP Custom, LCP II, LC-380, S&W Sigma 380, Springfield 911 380, Taurus Spectrum;
So yes I like 380's I carry one in the house at all times, but rarely outside other than the mailbox. I carry a M&P40C outside
I use 380 ammo with a Hornady XTP bullet, that 90 grain projectile has a conical shape and feeds and functions well in all no matter the manufacturer (I have tried Fiocchi, Hornady, and Underwood in all) I favor Underwood.
Not all ammo even FMJ feeds well in all guns. You have to TRY it.
All my 380's work, will reliably go bang. I can shoot most of them with good accuracy. I like my 911 best, BDA next, but all have attributes.
I'll keep mine.

I like my 911 best, BDA next, but all have attributes.

I get the 911, but the BDA is so big, you might as well be carrying a Commander 1911 in 45acp :)

I have the BDA too, but it hasn't been out of the safe in a long time, just because it doesn't fit much of a role for me anymore, like the Beretta 21A. The G42 and LCP are the only 380s I ever practice with anymore.

I get the 911, but the BDA is so big, you might as well be carrying a Commander 1911 in 45acp :)

I have the BDA too, but it hasn't been out of the safe in a long time, just because it doesn't fit much of a role for me anymore, like the Beretta 21A. The G42 and LCP are the only 380s I ever practice with anymore.
The BDA is just a pure plinking gun for me too, well it guards my desk pretty well too.

A big difference in shooting the bigger G-42 over that roughneck LCP.

The BDA is just a pure plinking gun for me too, well it guards my desk pretty well too.

A big difference in shooting the bigger G-42 over that roughneck LCP.

So many people have a love/hate relationship with their LCP because of how snappy it can be. I love mine all the time. Everyone who has shot my LCP with the Hogue grip, even those who said they hated the LCP, has said "wow, that is a LOT easier to shoot". The only reason I don't carry it all the time is target acquisition outside of point blank range (~5 yards for me) just takes too long with the sights.

Mine is so nicely broken in now, I don't think I will ever sell it. It works wonderfully with hardball and defensive ammo. During the summer months, it just goes automatically with my car keys, wallet, chapstick and EDC knife.

I don't find the LCP that bad to shoot. For whatever reason the P232 feel really snappy when shooting.

Just bought a Colt Mk IV Series 80 Government 380 yesterday. Looking forward to picking it up next week! I had a customized Mustang years ago and miss it. The heavier Govt 380 should be fun to shoot.

Change to previous plan for next range day: from testing whether .25 acp bounces harmlessly off of sufficiently hard surfaces to a comparison of .25 acp vs .22lr fired from mouse guns.

Only a 0.2" difference in barrel length between these two, so it's probably as scientific as it's going to get without buying a Sterling Arms .25 (and Seecamp doesn't make a .22).

8758E335-E471-45DD-966C-87942374B6BA.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads