JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, looking for your first-hand experiences with the mini Draco.

I have a "normal" or "full-sized" Draco that is registered and is an absolute blast to shoot (literally). This Draco has a fixed AK stock and is a fun range toy. With a folder scabbed on it's uncomfortable to shoot and still too big to hide away in any instance.

Have hatched this idea that a mini Draco might be amazing as a kind of "backpack" gun. Add Krink style side folder and have a gun that is backpack size (albeit loud and obnoxious).

So, having never fired a mini Draco, what are the mini Draco's like?

I put a mag through one once...loud, blasty, obnoxiuos, but kinda fun. :s0112:

Only thing I might be concerned with is terminal performance, pretty short barrel for x39...

Oh, and hey!!! Glad to see youre still around :)

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Was watching an older MAC video where he chronoed some M43 through an AKM, Draco and mini Draco.

IMG_1844.png This was from the AKM.

IMG_1845.png
This from a "normal" Draco

IMG_1843.jpeg
This from a mini Draco

So, a loss of velocity to be sure, but not the end of the world, not like a .223/5.56 or 5.45 would have with corresponding loss of terminal performance.

Last Edited:
Just a pic gleaned off the web.

IMG_2016.JPG

Not a fan of the underfolder, but paints a picture of shortness.

Thinking the "normal" Draco is going to have a tough time being that proverbial "backpack gun." The mini seems just about perfect.

Allow me to introduce you to Black Betty.

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg

IMG_3801.png

I thought I would use her as a home defense weapon, but she was a fire-breather. Even with a flash hider installed.

She was literally a blast, and I realized that I would probably be temporarily blinded by the muzzle flash if I had to set her off indoors. So, she got traded away.

Your mileage may vary.

Last Edited:
That is pretty rad!

While I'm not adverse to big muzzle blasts, I think you're right in something like that being detrimental in any kind of role other than a fun range toy.

91.16.01_2018.12.13.05.JPG
The Moist Nugget - 16.5-inch 91/30

… fun range toy

Howard, what muzzle device do you have there? Looks kinda like a Krink booster. Did you ever use a flash hider? Wondering what that might have been like with A1 like flash hider.

Last Edited:
I have thought about the CZ. I have a normal Scorpion already and a few other PCCs. Hoping to figure out something more "stout." Something "robust" (like an AK folder) that would be rifle caliber, but still compact like would fit into a backpack. The ARs is kinda my go-to, but can't get it compact enough with the receiver extension. Had thought about a side folder for AR, but don't sleep well thinking about the novel options.

Also, like Knobgoblin had mentioned, the hand guard is not a happy thing to think about. Have seen that MI has an option but options are certainly limited.

That is pretty rad!

While I'm not adverse to big muzzle blasts, I think you're right in something like that being detrimental in any kind of role other than a fun range toy.

View attachment 1823081
The Moist Nugget - 16.5-inch 91/30

… fun range toy

Howard, what muzzle device do you have there? Looks kinda like a Krink booster. Did you ever use a flash hider? Wondering what that might have been like with A1 like flash hider.
Pretty sure it was this one:

IMG_2680.jpeg

I had similar thoughts about a mini Draco or similar AK SBR. After much contemplation I think I like the idea of a SBR 300 BLK as I think it would be more versatile. 300 BLK would give up some velocity over 7.62x39 but not a lot. You could quiet standard velocity 300 BLK down some with a suppressor so it isn't as ear rupturing. Or you can give up a notable amount of velocity and energy and shoot subsonics which would be more suitable for indoor use / home protection. I am tossing around the idea of a 9" 300 BLK barrel, or maybe a 6.75" barrel for a little more compact package when using a suppressor.

Like the OP I already have a SBR 9mm and would like something with a bit more (rifle) punch capability even if 300 BLK subsonic ammo doesn't offer much of energy advantage over 9mm subsonics.

It looks like 300 BLK subsonics has about a ~40 - 50% energy increase over 9mm subsonics due to heavier bullet weight (220gr vs 147gr).
But 300 BLK has about a ~300% energy advantage with supersonic ammo over 9mm supersonic.
And 300 BLK have about ~85 - 90% energy capability of 7.62 x 39.

Hence my thinking 300 BLK has the potential of being much more versatile than 7.62x39???

I am just toying with the idea right now and would be interested in any ones thought on the idea.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top