JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
See video at link, amazing !!

[video]http://www.news4jax.com/news/Teen-stopped-at-airport-for-design-on-purse/-/475880/4858586/-/qijcv5/-/index.html[/video]

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

A teenage girl's sense of style got her in trouble at the airport.

Vanessa Gibbs, 17, claims the Transportation Security Administration stopped her at the security gate because of the design of a gun on her handbag.

Gibbs said she had no problem going through security at Jacksonville International Airport, but rather, when she headed home from Virginia.

"It's my style, it's camouflage, it has an old western gun on it," Gibbs said.

But her preference for the pistol style didn't sit well with TSA agents at the Norfolk airport.

Gibbs said she was headed back home to Jacksonville from a holiday trip when an agent flagged her purse as a security risk.

"She was like, 'This is a federal offense because it's in the shape of a gun,'" Gibbs said. "I'm like, 'But it's a design on a purse. How is it a federal offense?'"

After agents figured out the gun was a fake, Gibbs said, TSA told her to check the bag or turn it over.

By the time security wrapped up the inspection, the pregnant teen missed her flight, and Southwest Airlines sent her to Orlando instead, worrying her mother, who was already waiting for her to arrive at JIA.

"Oh, it's terrifying. I was so upset," said Tami Gibbs, the teen's mom. "I was on the phone all the way to Orlando trying to figure out what was going on with her. It was terrifying. I don't ever want to go through it again."

Vanessa and her mom said it's hard to believe anyone could mistake the design on the purse for a real gun because it's just a few inches in size and it's hollow, not to mention Vanessa has taken it on planes before.

"I carried this from Jacksonville to Norfolk, and I've carried it from Norfolk to Jacksonville," Vanessa said. "Never once has anyone said anything about it until now."

TSA isn't budging on the handbag, arguing the phony gun could be considered a "replica weapon." The TSA says "replica weapons have prohibited since 2002."

It's a rule that Vanessa feels can't be applied to a purse.

"Common sense," she said. "It's a purse, not a weapon."

A TSA official at JIA said it's not that uncommon for passengers to wear something that could be considered a gun replica, but the official encourages everyone to check the prohibited items list, which can be found online or at the airport before going through security.

pretty sad when a 17 year old pregnant chick is smarter then the Morons who guard our skys. Where in the consitution does it say once a law is passed all common sense is prohibited.

pretty sad when a 17 year old pregnant chick is smarter then the Morons who guard our skys. Where in the consitution does it say once a law is passed all common sense is prohibited.

I am still waiting for someone to challenge the constitutionality of these security procedures.
For instance, one time when I as unpacking I found a card that said my bag has been searched by TSA.
Did they have a warrant? I don't remember ever giving them permission, and they cannot claim implied permission simply because I bought a plane ticket.
I'd like to have that one explained to me by a real constitutional lawyer.

TSA is a joke. I went to Canada in Aug 2011 and while I was at PDX they tripped on me over a box of breath mints ahahahahah they are mentally challenged. My mom had knee replacement surgery several years ago on both knees and she has a card for it. She goes through the metal detector and it beeps.... imagine that. she showed the goons her card and they stuffed her in the body scanner. After that they took her to the side and sexually assaulted her. From my experience and IMO the TSA are a bunch of looser, wanna be cops. At the rose parade I saw a few TSA goons, and they were looking at me all weird and giving me the stink eye because I was an armed officer in full uniform and they only had a radio hahahahah. I am sure there are a few decent agents but most are nasty, grodey, buck nasty looking individuals. The ones I ran into at PDX were trying so hard to look professional it was disgusting and I wanted to point and laugh at them...... one had black jeans on aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah....... you NEVER wear jeans as part of a uniform.

So back to the story... they must have thought the 17 year old female was gonna hijack the plane with her purse since it had a picture of a gun or whatever on it ahahahah..... oh I feel so much more secure now that we have the TSA.... or is it because I carry my Glock? hmmmm I don't know.

:s0077: Everything is a "federal offense" to a TSA stooge.

An example: I was aquainted with a retired man that tried to make it as a first aid supply rep. Couldn't cut it, so he quit. Next thing I hear, he is working for TSA :huh:
Quality personel they have...........:-\/\

Florida teen detained by TSA for design on her purse | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

You have most likely already seen this on Yahoo news but I had to share it here. I guess it would fit under Legal and Political since it is aparently a Federal crime relating to firearms but I couldn't bring myself to post it there. What next from TSA??? First shoes, then the body scanner, pretty soon it will be a crime to wear clothes on flights because the thread from you garmet could be used as a fuse!!!

Kids get suspended from school for drawing pictures of guns, so it's not much of a stretch to see why TSA would ping on a little plastic gun sewn on a purse.

Ignorance, it's everywhere.

Pregnant 17yo??? this should be in the don't punch your monitor thread.
Although I hate TSA and probably won't fly much because of them,the girl could have picked a different purse to travel with.
I mean she is pregnant( oh yeah at 17,so not too smart anyway,sorry) and doesn't want to sit around the airport any more than necessary.

Maybe she can hurry and catch up with the other gal with 15 kids

I flew last week and had my first experience with the TSA since they went overboard with the BS. I opted out of the radiation scanners and went for molestation instead.

It is all really a sad joke. It isn't there to stop 'terrorists', but rather just to humiliate you and get you accustomed to draconian measures down the line. Hand down the pants and all.

To wit: I was on Alaska and bought the $50 first class upgrade. Before even taking off I was served a glass of water in a real GLASS. Then the REAL metal fork and knife LOL! Come on, you have to laugh. A prisoner can make a lethal weapon out of a toothbrush or electrical light socket parts and here we are all handed what are essentially deadly tools.

Then later I discovered I forgot to take my Leatherman tool out of my carry on/notebook case when I got to the hotel.

The fact that Americans don't object to being irradiated or felt up is just evidence that people get the government they deserve.

You have got to feel bad for some of the normal people that work for the TSA as there are enough dipnuts employed by them to cast a negative opinion on the whole agency.
I was flying back from Boston late in December and got pulled aside for a search. I guess their x-ray machine cannot penetrate metal containers. I had a 30cal ammo box that I packed with all the electrical cords for all the stuff I was carrying. Mr. Toothless got all high and mighty about how bad of an idea it was, and that if he called the state trooper it would cause me a lot of trouble and a lot of questioning, and I need to get rid of it. I guess he just knew enough to know that it is not a prohibited item, but none the less kept trying to lecture me that flying with one was a bad idea..... and I need to "get rid of it". I told him I will not fly with it again, but I am not getting rid of it. You could see that he was very unhappy about it.
Reminded me how much I hate that state and why the longer it has been since I moved from there, the more I despise it.
Just to think that is where the revolution against a oppressive tyranny of the British started.

My wife has a wallet with an applique of an old west revolver on it, sounds similar to the one in this story. Recently she went to Lane County courthouse, where you have to go through a rent-a-cop checkpoint. They told her she would have to take the wallet back to her car just because it resembles a gun! Then they went on to brag how they threw a woman out the day before because she was where a sweatshirt with a .357 design on it.

You can imagine some angry phone calls ensued! Supposedly they won't be so intolerant now. We'll see.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top