JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Withdrawn from sale. I just can't let it go right now.

I bought this gun because I'd seen it on the rack for a long time and I couldn't believe it was still there. I just couldn't resist a low buck Winchester with some character. But then, I remember Ted Williams. ;)
So I bought it somewhat on impulse, but it doesn't fit my needs and I definitely don't want another caliber. So hopefully someone else will make the connection with it and it can move on.

There is freckling on the receiver but as best I can tell it's kind of like a pre-pitting stage and not into the metal yet. If I were to keep it I'd just cold blue the receiver and call it good, but I didn't want to alter it before selling it. There's some rash around the muzzle and a bit on the foregrip cap, but the crown is excellent and the barrel is clean and shiny.

The wood is in really nice shape with decent coloration and just a few minor dents.

I haven't shot it.

$300. Grants Pass

DSCN0575.JPG DSCN0567.JPG DSCN0568.JPG DSCN0569.JPG DSCN0570.JPG DSCN0573.JPG DSCN0574.JPG

Last Edited:
Ted Williams the baseball player?
My parents went to the same high school in San Diego as Ted Williams.
Another great Bob Boone went there as well.

Yup, the same. Back in the day Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto and others sold house brand guns under assorted names. These Ted Williams lever guns were made by Winchester. But Marlin and other companies made store brand guns too.

I've got a 12ga pump shotgun marked Montgomery Ward, which is Mossberg model 500. Has screw in chokes, great shotgun.

Picked up a Sears 22 rifle last year, which is Marlin model 80 variant, I can actually drive tacks with it at 25 yards.

Some people overlook such guns, I've found them to be very good guns...close rivaling the originals.

Last Edited:
They don't have "collectors" value, but that doesn't matter to me, they're part of our country's past & a part of my childhood.

They don't have "collectors" value, but that doesn't matter to me, they're part of our country's past & a part of my childhood.
The Americana is the best thing about those rifles. When you could walk in to a Sears, M Wards, JC Penny, etc and find rifles and shotguns next to the outboard motors.
I remember when JC penny(where I grew up) had hardware and an auto center. Department stores were king back in the day.

I can't find a manufacture date. Apparently they didn't really bother to keep track in any real organized way. I read somewhere that the numbers can parallel actual Winchesters, but if so this rifle was made in the late 1800's and I don't think so. :rolleyes:
So no clue really but somewhere between the early sixties and 1982 is the best I can do.

I bought this gun because I'd seen it on the rack for a long time and I couldn't believe it was still there. I just couldn't resist a low buck Winchester with some character. But then, I remember Ted Williams. ;)
So I bought it somewhat on impulse, but it doesn't fit my needs and I definitely don't want another caliber. So hopefully someone else will make the connection with it and it can move on.

There is freckling on the receiver but as best I can tell it's kind of like a pre-pitting stage and not into the metal yet. If I were to keep it I'd just cold blue the receiver and call it good, but I didn't want to alter it before selling it. There's some rash around the muzzle and a bit on the foregrip cap, but the crown is excellent and the barrel is clean and shiny.

The wood is in really nice shape with decent coloration and just a few minor dents.

I haven't shot it.

$300. Grants Pass

View attachment 475085 View attachment 475087 View attachment 475088 View attachment 475089 View attachment 475091 View attachment 475092 View attachment 475093

Machine oil or 10-30 wt. and a fine brass brush from harbor freight may clean it up. Always use something softer then the metal you are cleaning.

I used 3 in 1 oil and 0000 steel wool and that's as clean as I could get it. That's why I figure cold blue will probably even it out because the surface of the metal hasn't pitted yet. I've gotten really good results with Oxpho-Blue from Brownell's and some heat.
Anyway, maybe someone else will take it off my hands and fix it up.

I used 3 in 1 oil and 0000 steel wool and that's as clean as I could get it. That's why I figure cold blue will probably even it out because the surface of the metal hasn't pitted yet. I've gotten really good results with Oxpho-Blue from Brownell's and some heat.
Anyway, maybe someone else will take it off my hands and fix it up.

Still a great by and a wonderful close to mid range woods weapon or door gun with seven in the tubes.

You did use steel on steel and that is not softer or less abrasive it is at best equal, so some of the blueing gets scratched away a bit at a time. Always go with a softer metal or material and blueing or re chroming may not be required!
It works some of the time, not always, but it is a good tip to know. There is a brown finish [I think it is an acid base?] a friend of mine used some years back. That gun was really cool when it was done.
Later Silver Hand

Thanks for the tip. It never really occurred to me about the steel wool. :rolleyes:

Every time I look at this thread it gets harder and harder and harder to sell it. :confused:

Withdrawn from Sale.
I'm going to keep it and clean it up. It has a couple of stamps I hadn't noticed, one is US on the barrel and the other looks like a stylized SP on both the barrel and the receiver. I thought it could be SR for Sears Roebuck, but it doesn't have the lower leg of an R. I'll post a pic.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.