JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most Colt percussion revolvers had progressive rifling. ( original , not replica )
I also have a percussion "Plains Rifle" circa late 1840's - 1850's that has progressive rifling.
Some rifled muskets of the 1840 -1860 time period also had progressive rifling.
Andy

As I said, I knew that some big guns did, as 'they' thought it would be more conducive to accuracy with large, heavy projectiles. I'm curious as to why 'they' would think the same for what I assume would be 'round ball' tubes. Interesting.

On a side note, I wonder if 'progressive' rifling would be more acceptable to liberals than straight rifled guns??

Rifled Muskets...use conical bullets ( Minie Ball ) ...not round ball.
You can shoot round ball from 'em..but they were designed for conical bullets.
And the Colt revolvers could use either round ball or conical bullets.
Andy

I have a .50 Cal. muzzle loading rifle that's barrel is smooth and only has rifling for the last 4 inches of the barrel.
Interesting; though wouldn't that potentially 'double engrave' the bullet, due to it's passing through the rifling twice? I would expect that to affect accuracy? On a breech-loader I could see it, but a muzzleloader; hummm.

Many of the rifled only at the muzzle , muzzle loaders were meant to be used for both round ball and shot...
Enough rifling to engage the round ball for accuracy...but not too much rifling to destroy shot patterns
Andy

Harry Pope [ an old gunsmith, and target shooter] tried making progressive rifled barrels in the early 1900's. They started at the breech with a slow twist and by the muzzle were at a much faster twist. He wrote at the time that they did make some difference but not enough for the extra work involved. DR

For modern rifle barrels, there are a couple high end barrel makers who cut progressive gain twist barrels, Bartlein for one. Their site FAQ has more info if interested.
The video below from Joe Carlos explains most of the Service Rifle applications, but some are using them in the faster chamberings.

For modern rifle barrels, there are a couple high end barrel makers who cut progressive gain twist barrels, Bartlein for one. Their site FAQ has more info if interested.
The video below from Joe Carlos explains most of the Service Rifle applications, but some are using them in the faster chamberings.
That was very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top