JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
found lots of videos on line about the Tec 9/AB 10
a very simple, robust design
installed hardened pin from USMACHINEGUNS
IT LIVES
but, what use is such a firearm?
will return it to owner - after I shoot a couple mags through it - field test after repairs, you understand

20220806_085445.jpg

Honestly those guns are just garbage. Firing pins, extractors, you name it goes wrong. Also the polymer sucks and they have a tendency to crack putting them back together. Poor design for a poor gun meant for poor gang banger people. After all Intratec's marketing campaign was geared for the thug crowd… …"as tough as your toughest customer."

USMachinegun has always provided good parts for my various projects (e.g., NFA builds, Mac-10, etc.), though I've never bought anything Tec-9 from them. As to what the pistols are good for, honestly, just plinking and/or nostalgia. The reliability and quality control on those just were never there.

Though this fellow pressed the similar AP9 into service during the LA riots. :s0155:

728805-f63d96d58be9bbad57495b3369e49f9e.png

Honestly those guns are just garbage. Firing pins, extractors, you name it goes wrong. Also the polymer sucks and they have a tendency to crack putting them back together. Poor design for a poor gun meant for poor gang banger people. After all Intratec's marketing campaign was geared for the thug crowd… …"as tough as your toughest customer."
USMACHINEGUN sells higher quality parts for replacement than the OEM parts
but I don't plan to buy one or make a living repairing them
all in all, from beginning to test fire was probably 15 min

If I had a Tec 9, I would strip it, rebuild it with quality parts
Quality Assurance would then be on me
would go with my S&W 4506 for a Miami Vice set
I lived in Boca Raton in the mid '80s and faithfully watched Miami Vice every week
all the bad guys had Tec 9s and Don carried a 4506 in the later shows

But they look neat, Ill give them that!

USMACHINEGUN A+ in my book
now on to tec vs ab
it was the KG99 with no end cap that had the issues with cracking the back off, when they went to end cap it was much better
unless you started using +p that the mag well crack would form. the AB10 well lets just say
i could shoot a bullet with only a primer through the barrel of one so...... yes great guns :D

They do look good but they could have made it so much better than they did. I've had like 4 of them over the years, only one that didn't suck and jam every 5 seconds. It was the DC version
I'll field test this one on Monday with it's 32 rnd mag and let you know!!
Remington 115 gn 9mm only
cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol
from the photo, you can see this is one of the Stainless Steel models - I've read they were not common

USMACHINEGUN still has OEM 10 rnd mags in stock for these, which the AB 10 came with
a politically correct TEC 9

the owner got back to me and really doesn't want it back or pay for the repairs
RustyNail - if I was to rebuild this, what parts do you recommend I replace?
extractor and disconnect I already know about
I'm a retired engineer, need another project
at least today, they are still legal in Washington State

I'll field test this one on Monday with it's 32 rnd mag and let you know!!
Remington 115 gn 9mm only
cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol
from the photo, you can see this is one of the Stainless Steel models - I've read they were not common

USMACHINEGUN still has OEM 10 rnd mags in stock for these, which the AB 10 came with
a politically correct TEC 9

the owner got back to me and really doesn't want it back or pay for the repairs
RustyNail - if I was to rebuild this, what parts do you recommend I replace?
extractor and disconnect I already know about
I'm a retired engineer, need another project
at least today, they are still legal in Washington State
Make him take it back. It's a waste of money. Sure the stainless versions are rare but it's a paperweight..guns serve one purpose…shoot bullets and Tec -9'a, AB 10's, Kimmel AP9's were all part of shoddy south Florida midnight specials back in the 80's and 90's that can't even do that. If you have money to blow and want a relic that's actually quality, buy my open bolt Mac 10 that I have listed on here. Quality parts, robust and well made gun of the late 70's. The UZI and original Ingram MACs were much higher quality than any Tec 9. You are too emotionally invested in this gun. Sure it looks cool but it will leave you disappointed, every time. It's like a lady you think is hot and then she takes her make up off, lol

Make him take it back. It's a waste of money. Sure the stainless versions are rare but it's a paperweight..guns serve one purpose…shoot bullets and Tec -9'a, AB 10's, Kimmel AP9's were all part of shoddy south Florida midnight specials back in the 80's and 90's that can't even do that. If you have money to blow and want a relic that's actually quality, buy my open bolt Mac 10 that I have listed on here. Quality parts, robust and well made gun of the late 70's. The UZI and original Ingram MACs were much higher quality than any Tec 9. You are too emotionally invested in this gun. Sure it looks cool but it will leave you disappointed, every time.
we will see come Monday

I agree! I hear they can be plagued with issues. Im in the MAC11 clone camp with my MPA 30
Ditto. Though there certainly problem examples, there are Macs (both full-auto and semi) that run well. :)

Parenthetically, if anyone is tempted to acquire a Tec-22, I'd recommend against. Super neat idea: .22LR plick'n pistol that runs on 10/22 magazines, with a threaded barrel. The downside is it a complete piece of crap and the threads are nonstandard for most .22 cans now. The one I had kept breaking the damn magazine release, regardless how lightly activated. Finally booted it in frustration. (The Czech vz61 it was, loosely, inspired from runs just fine though.)

I agree! I hear they can be plagued with issues. Im in the MAC11 clone camp with my MPA 30
most of the post on all boards is that shooters HEAR Tec 9/AB 10s CAN have problems
but I've read of very few who took theirs apart to analyze the issue and try to solve them
USMACHINEGUN makes many higher quality parts than the OEM
I've had this one apart at least 6 time today, just for practice
again, Monday is my scheduled range day, putting down a new road this weekend, and that has higher priority
have one 32 rnd mag and 100 rnds of ammo for this project
will let you know MY experience on this specific AB 10
can't speak for others experience with their specific firearms
"these guns are garbage" is not an engineering explanation I understand
this one has a Stainless steel upper and I understand the difference between this one and the carbon steel originals
the firing pin is made out of mild steel and I understand that - replaced it with a harden steel one

most of the post on all boards is that shooters HEAR Tec 9/AB 10s CAN have problems
but I've read of very few who took theirs apart to analyze the issue and try to solve them
USMACHINEGUN makes many higher quality parts than the OEM
I've had this one apart at least 6 time today, just for practice
again, Monday is my scheduled range day, putting down a new road this weekend, and that has higher priority
have one 32 rnd mag and 100 rnds of ammo for this project
will let you know MY experience on this specific AB 10
can't speak for others experience with their specific firearms
"these guns are garbage" is not an engineering explanation I understand
this one has a Stainless steel upper and I understand the difference between this one and the carbon steel originals
the firing pin is made out of mild steel and I understand that - replaced it with a harden steel one
Id still own one if the opportunity presented itself for a decent price. They look too cool to not. Im happy USMG, FTF industries and a few other small machine shops are making replacement parts.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top