JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the first time in my life, I am strongly considering becoming a certified firearm instructor to provide my services for free to school teachers/educators.

Not that it's likely to ever fly in Oregon, but I've thought about this as well. What's the first step in becoming a certified instructor? Just taking the NRA instructor class?

Certified by whom? Either you know your stuff and can teach or not. Just do it.
This was an emotional, spur of the moment remark. But, yes, I know the stuff. I've taught several people (friends and family), including my wife, a total work-in-progress deal, reformed anti-gunner, who also is works in the public education system. So, in a sense, I am "doing it".

I have received some training from OFA and have added experience in top of it. A "certification" adds a level of "legitimacy" that may entice people who could be on the fence about "free" training. Plus, with the right certification, it could be used towards an OR CHL.

I could have said NRA but left it open ended because there must be other certifying entities I do not know of. Up until now, I've never considered it, so I have a lot of homework to do.

Not that it's likely to ever fly in Oregon, but I've thought about this as well. What's the first step in becoming a certified instructor? Just taking the NRA instructor class?

Taking an NRA instructor class would be a good first step. As an NRA instructor, you can provide proof of training OR will accept for obtaining CHL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top