JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this has been posited before, but I'm trying to decide between TCGC and DRRC. They are almost exactly the same distance from my home. My three primary reasons for joining are I'd like to get into more long range shooting and cannot find a suitable area on public lands within a reasonable driving distance from Portland. I also would like to get more into shotgun shooting. My wife and I have been trap and skeet shooting in the past and enjoyed it and would perhaps like to do it some more. I am also getting tired of my favorite public shooting spots getting closed down because of idiots out there.

I have a few questions about each and I am hoping some club members can chime in. Also, any pros and cons between the two in addition to what I've specifically asked are welcome, however opinions without specific reasons are not helpful (i.e. "that club sucks!" without any reason why). Thanks! :D

TCGC:
-The site says initiation fee is $225. Annual dues are $170. For a first time member, is it $225 and you're good to go for the first year or $225 + $170 = $395 for the first year and $170 a year after that?
-I understand there is a decent amount of competitive shooting that takes place. While I may enjoy competition in the future, will the schedule be prohibitive to my enjoyment of the range when not competing?
-Are there only certain days and times that I will be able to fire 200/300 and 600? If so, will I have trouble finding an open shooting spot?
-Can I shoot prone, sitting, or kneeling on any of the ranges or is everything limited to bench rest firing and standing?
-Does membership fee include certification for the action range or is there a separate fee if I choose to qualify to shoot there? Is there a fee to enter competitions?

DRRC:
-I understand the 1000 yard range is only open on specific days and times. When it is open, are there any other ranges open to shoot rifles?
-Are the ranges limited to 100 yard and 1000 yard? Can you shoot, for example, at 600 yards when the 1000 is open?
-Can I shoot prone, sitting, or kneeling on any of the ranges or is everything limited to bench rest firing and standing?
-I understand the shotgun range is closed. Is there any indication it will open in a reasonable amount of time? I would hate to pay for a year and not be able to use it until the end of my membership or something.
-When shotgun is open, is it trap only or do they have skeet ranges as well?
-Does membership include admission to classes or is there an additional fee for those?

TCGC has a lot of little rules and they are no longer going to be having certain types of shooting events there due to a person having to point there rifle up in the air above the berm during a mag change. They are rediculous. You should read the range rules wich are posted online before forking out any money to any range. They don't allow certain calibers there and they are restrictive about rapid fire, drawing from a holster, etc..... I like ARPC, they are b.a.d.a.s.s., but are an hour south of Salem where I live. Don't know anything about DRRC. Going through the range rules for any gun club you may be interested in joining will give you an idea of what type of shooting is allowed and expected. If the rules don't fit your type or style of shooting, then move on to the next one.

I will try to answer your questions based on my experience as a current TCGC member and I used to compete at Sporting Clays at DRRC. Your first year dues @ TCGC will be $225 + 170. The 170 will be prorated dependent on when you join. On the days that a competition (weekends) is scheduled the availability of the ranges is limited dependent on which match is going on. There are always some bays open in the Action Range even during matches. The 600 yd range is only open at specific days/times. It overlays the 200/300 range so those ranges are shut down while 600 is open. The 200/300 range is used by Law Enforcement agencies which limits access to it but I don't think it closes all the lanes down. Law Enforcement also rents the Action Ranges during the week but there are always bays available then also. I am certain on the GP 100 yd range, the 200/300 range and the rimfire/blackpowder range that standing, kneeling, sitting and prone is allowed. It is sometimes a bit tight between the benches (they can be moved slightly) but it is possible to practice position shooting. There is no additional fee to become Action Range certified but you will need to attend the class and compete in one match (I highly recommend this as it opens up a lot options for practice). Each type of competition has it's own entrance fees but most are reasonable IMHO.
I don't know if their are any plans to re-open the shotgun ranges at DRRC as it's a shotfall/environmental issue that they are dealing with. When they were open they had trap ranges only (no skeet) and they had sporting set up temporarily during certain weekends. This is all I can answer with some degree of certainty. I work nights and live very close to TCGC so I go there alot during the week. Many times I have been the only one on the rimfire range (currently my new passion) and have my pick of which bay to use in the Action Ranges. When you become a member you will have access to the club calendar with the range closure info so that you may plan some of your trips around that. I have enjoyed my membership at TCGC but I don't go much on the weekends except for matches. I am sure it gets busy at certain ranges. Middle of the week is awesome! Don't stress about all the rules, if you have good gun handling skills, pay attention while on the ranges to some specific procedures, you will be fine........Hope this helps, Good Luck.......if you would like to PM me we can talk at length by telephone if you would like.

DRRC:
-I understand the 1000 yard range is only open on specific days and times. When it is open, are there any other ranges open to shoot rifles?

They shut down the entire range for long range shooting on Thursdays. They alternate the distances from mornings to afternoons. One Thursday morning it will be 300-600 yards and that afternoon it will be 800-1000 yards. The next Thursday it switches.

-Are the ranges limited to 100 yard and 1000 yard? Can you shoot, for example, at 600 yards when the 1000 is open?

See above. Usually there aren't that many people there on Thursdays and sometimes it can be fairly flexible if the other shooters are.

I'm pretty sure you can unless the rules have changed in the last two years. You just have to be safe. I pretty much just use it on Thursdays.

I don't know about your other questions. You can email the various discipline officers through their contact page:

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club - Contacts

I was a member of TCGC for 15+ years - yes, the init+dues is amount for first year. I found their "calendar" full of events I wasn't interested in that interfered with my ability to use the facilities, and the range rules eventually became so ludicrous, and the RSO's so obnoxious that I decided I'd had enough.

Before joining TCGC, I'd gone to DRRC. I liked the atmosphere at DRRC - much less "rule nannies" and more interest in the shooting sports than being the poster child club for same.

I long for something simple like JCGC or DRRC in western washington county, but alas, none exists - there are several good shotgun only sites, but nothing for pistol or rifle, either indoor or out (I discount the beavercreek armory, which I consider someones money making scheme, not a gun club or shooting facility).

So - I'm told that the best we can do is drive out into the mountains and try and find a quarry or some such.

Hmm...

You have a fine resource in "beavernation", and I will defer to him for current practices. Avail yourself of his offer for PM's and/or phone calls. I have been a Member of Tri-County since 1981. With property now, I find that I am not availing myself of their facilities regularly. I still pay my dues, and for specialty usage, I go there. I can tell you this: If you are a serious shooter, concientious about safety, recognize your obligations to others, and value the contribution that an urban (argue that if you wish, but I joined when it was po-dunk hillbilly) shooting range can offer, then Tri-County is a premier venue.

I cannot speak for Douglas Ridge in any fashion. I can advise that much of Tri-County's caution and regulation stems directly from being (finally, not of their choice), an "urban" facilty. They admirably achieved "firearms training facility" status some years ago, thus thwarting some neighbor complaints that were increasing (training facilities are federally protected). I witnessed this first-hand when I lived nearly next-door. They did a good job pulling the right political levers, garnering the proper support to cement themselves as a place in suburbia where shooting can be done safely.

If you are a "stump-shooter", or "noise-maker", then you may find some obstacles at Tri-County. These obstacles (as you view them at first), may direct you to finally become a serious shooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top