JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to do my taxes manually since 1965, until the mid '80's when I tried my Commodore 64. I have used "Tax Cut' since '89 or '91 or so until H&R Block bought them out. Then I used Block programs, for the most part easy for me to follow along as I was pretty familiar with the IRS way of doing things. The computer really helped out with Oregon State taxes as the have more quirks. Anyway all was well till this year (2021 tax year). Now the new pro gam does ask income questions and deductions, credits etc. but gives no feedback as to how they are inputted, or how the figures affect your return till the very end. To me a terrible program, I will use something else next year.

I hire a professional.

Last year, they "missed" my mother's pension. Had been getting that since like 1989 or so. Just this week, she got a letter from the IRS, demanding payment with interest added, as required. Now I went back thru, and didn't find the statement from the Pension fund. But I did see the "compare" page, and it shows the previous year 2019, and 0 for 2020. You'd of thunk a professional might have called and asked about the missing documentation at the time.
They didn't.

Good luck finding an alternative you like.

Wife has LONG used Quickbooks for the office. So last many years I have used their free version for tax filing, Turbotax. Of course in WA we do not (yet) have state income tax, so makes one less hassle. It seems to ask a damn TON of questions looking for what will work. So works great for me so far. Not sure what it would do for those wanting to go more "long form" kind of thing. For them it may well be worth paying a pro they can trust since the tax code seems to be made in some foreign language :mad:

Last Edited:
Our taxes are pretty complex considering all the factors involved, so we use a local preparer who knows her stuff. Nary a problem with the filings and it takes a decent portion of the nonsense off my plate, so money well spent, imho. (Well, that's not completely accurate: the fact our tax code is that byzantine is indefensible, but I don't see that changing any time soon.)

I have been using TurboTax since it was first merged with Parsons Tax Edge back in the pre-CD software distribution days.

TurboTax has kept up with the tax laws and as my specific tax situation evolved, we haven't had any issues using it.

I had already paid a ton, then had to pay another 16,000, but since I had taken a lot of the retirement to pay for Nature's house damages. I knew it was coming.

I used to do my taxes manually since 1965, until the mid '80's when I tried my Commodore 64. I have used "Tax Cut' since '89 or '91 or so until H&R Block bought them out. Then I used Block programs, for the most part easy for me to follow along as I was pretty familiar with the IRS way of doing things. The computer really helped out with Oregon State taxes as the have more quirks. Anyway all was well till this year (2021 tax year). Now the new pro gam does ask income questions and deductions, credits etc. but gives no feedback as to how they are inputted, or how the figures affect your return till the very end. To me a terrible program, I will use something else next year.
Just send them everything and they'll let you have some back. Maybe

Just smile and bend over, knowing that every penny you paid will be used to pad bureaucrats wallets and usurp your human rights:)

I usually spend $250-$300 each year to have a CPA do my taxes. It is some of the best money I spend all year.

I'm livid that our tax system is so complex. I personally think we should fire most of the IRS and move to a flat tax system. But until then I will continue paying my CPA. I do not have the time or interest in preparing my own taxes. And if I get audited, I want somebody going in with me to explain things. YMMV.

I am getting near $4,000 from Oregon. At least that's a consolation.

Next year I get to relax with all of Biden's tax cuts!

You know it is intentional. Hard to hide graft in a flat tax. How do you know if you neighbor is paying their "fair share" if you have the complex code ... what would happen if people figured out how few are paying what I consider a fair share.
What I LOVE is when the law makers who write the rules stand in front of any camera they can find and scream about those who "take advantage of loopholes". The so called loopholes are put there by them for money in their pocket. Hey I guess it works as people vote them back in to "fix it". :s0054:
Its a shame we can't get rid of withholding and make people pay the irs monthly. There would be riots in no time :s0140:

What I LOVE is when the law makers who write the rules stand in front of any camera they can find and scream about those who "take advantage of loopholes". The so called loopholes are put there by them for money in their pocket. Hey I guess it works as people vote them back in to "fix it". :s0054:
Its a shame we can't get rid of withholding and make people pay the irs monthly. There would be riots in no time :s0140:
My Son unit #1 is a Law firm Partner and he specializes in Tax Shelters (I don't have enough to afford one) and they are things like making a small wind farm, other public works, he insures the contracts are within IRS parameters and all that. Makes money for the Law firm anyway. Not a challenge for him anymore. He does study for changes as they come out. I think he is ready to retire at 50. Maybe inflation will make him work another year or two.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top