JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put a couple thousand rounds through mine before I was offered a 100 more then I paid for it so I sold it. I will be buying another one. I have 3 Taurus pistols and have never had one fail. My stepdad has a Taurus 1911 that the ambi safety fell apart in. Called Taurus they paid the shipping to them and it was repaired and returned 2 weeks later at no cost. I would recommend one as I think it is a great gun for the price.

I have been seeing lately (and not only in this thread) that people would rather complain about what someone else says instead of focusing on the op questions. Are we really so picky or unhappy that everybody has to be right? To answer the question on forged or cast, took 10 seconds to look on Taurus website. It states forged frame, slide, and barrel. 2nd sentence in the pt1911 introduction. Anybody could have looked it up instead of create hostility between us members.

My question on the cast vs. forged was genuine. I saw someone took it other than genuine, and I posted my appology for taking the thread off topic. I thought that was the end of it. The metallurgist fellow DID NOT read my appology and went right to throwing a fit. I will not appologize twice for the same indiscretion so I told him what I thought.
And my question had nothing to do with the make up of the PT1911 metal, but rather why it was difficult to tell forged from cast (I already knew the Taurus is forged).
And now you come along and castigate me or us (I'm not sure which) about something you THINK was an issue. You are contributing just as much to the hostility as anyone else. I was cool with letting it go back on topic and it did until people who can't let it be swirl the crap up again!

You have to post a smart *** comment about someone elses because he gave his opinion? Then you question his profession by not knowing the difference? How is that helpful to the op?

Man, you are really feeding off the bottom now. Go back and read the WHOLE thread and see if you can comprehend what was posted. You act holier than thou and do exactly the thing you criticize, unbelievable! I responded to the OP's question, have you?

I started this post in order to get some information. I do want to thank all of those that gave me some good info. I want to close this post as it is creating some discontent and that is not needed. Can someone help me with the proper way to close this off. Thanx, louie

I started this post in order to get some information. I do want to thank all of those that gave me some good info. I want to close this post as it is creating some discontent and that is not needed. Can someone help me with the proper way to close this off. Thanx, louie

I don't know how to lock down a thread but I deleted my posts to keep the peace. Sorry for the hyjacking Louie.

I bought one of these for my wife a few years ago for her birthday. The only complaint she had was field stripping it - she hasn't field stripped a 1911-style firearm in 15+ years so she was cussing something fierce about it. It was accurate out-of-the-box, hasn't exhibited any feeding problems and mainly eats PMC 230gr FMJ. It's just a plinker for her. Would she carry it? She could, but I didn't buy it for her with that in mind. Would I be concerned relying on it for self-defense? No, but I'd probably pick a different gun (and caliber) for that purpose on personal preference.

Wife is 5'3 and 109lbs. Shoots it easily and enjoys it. Well, until this past weekend when she fell a little in love with my FNP-45 Tactical.

The only thing I dislike about my steel frame PT1911.. is the huge Taurus logo on the slide.
Other than that, honestly its right up there with the Springfield's, Para, ..etc.
Never EVER had any issues with mine other than crappy mags I've purchased.

I'd rather have a gun I can shoot, holster and train with than one I just look at, drool over then put away..

*Cough*Kimber* Cough Cough*. (I may have just started a fight) :s0131:

The only thing I dislike about my steel frame PT1911.. is the huge Taurus logo on the slide.
Other than that, honestly its right up there with the Springfield's, Para, ..etc.

I'd rather have a gun I can shoot, holster and train with than one I just look at, drool over then put away..

I own a few of both and the kimbers get more use. Just cause they cost a few extra doesnt mean they dont get used as much....cough.

Marquess of queensberry rules I assume, my good man:s0018:?
I agree. I also find it hard to turn down a good deal. Yet I still have a fondness for my commander, which I love to carry daily and also drool over, The best of both world's I guess. I have no truck with any of the 1911's that I own, perhaps I've just had good luck, I dunno. The PT 1911 is as good as any of the off the shelf 1911's I shoot, Solid, dependable and reasonably priced, and a dang site better than some of I've shot.

Oh yes, happy 100'th birthday to the old girl, it appears that she still get's a few looks, no matter what dress she throws on:s0155:

I own a few of both and the kimbers get more use. Just cause they cost a few extra doesnt mean they dont get used as much....cough.

I've heard a few folks say that.. but I've mainly seen the mojority of folks baby theirs compared to their "lower end" 1911's. Once I see a beat to bubblegum Kimber then I'll change my opinion... but until that day sir, no dice.

I've heard a few folks say that.. but I've mainly seen the mojority of folks baby theirs compared to their "lower end" 1911's. Once I see a beat to bubblegum Kimber then I'll change my opinion... but until that day sir, no dice.

Well when you can afford one you can beat it to heck. I dont abuse my firearms whether its $300 or 3000 they all get treated the same.

Well when you can afford one you can beat it to heck. I dont abuse my firearms whether its $300 or 3000 they all get treated the same.

I certainly hope I'm not misreading this as our banter turning mean spirited?
I can certainly afford one sir. There is no need to insinuate the fact that I cannot.
I merely stated the fact that I'd rather pay for a firearm that can get the job done reliably and not necessarily pay for a brand name.
We see so much brand bashing (By this I mean the "lower end" firearms) without any definitive proof, its all hearsay and secondhand word. I find it only befitting to then in-turn give the popular (and yes sometimes overpriced due solely to the brand name) firearms on the market today.

Some people think they have to have the top of the line "This" or "That" because it is some how made by the hands of some gunsmith demigod forged from metals not known to this planet.. all the while its just a name brand something or another.. (Again, in some cases). And that's not always to say that you don't get what you pay for, but clearly there is a line between elegance and moderate ranges of firearms. Also noted, I do not mean for my opinion to come across as crass towards your taste of firearms. My apologies if you took offense. I knew it would kick up some dust, but not from a moderator. ;)

Taurus,Llama,Bersa,Hi point, all cheap junk. you get what you pay for

I own a few taurus pistols, to include a 1911. I don't have problems, and the 1911 got me hooked. I now have a Nighthawk on order and hope to pick up a Springfield Marine Corps Operator up off a guy this weekend. Don't bash all entry level guns, it was what I could afford at the time. Still like it today...

"entry level" ? I consider it false economy, to buy something that is a pale copy. Then when the mistake is discovered to pass it off to another "entry level" shopper. there are indeed inexpensive very good firearms out there, most shops carry the guns that will make them money, highest profit margin, not usually the best. Personally If I were to reccomend a firearm to a new shooter (or one on a budget), I would have to reccomend Ruger, or the eaa witness pistols, actually a basic springfield can be had pretty reasonable. All are bargains, and keepers.

never had one myself but a good friend does, he loves it BUTTTT, the ambi safety fell apart on the range and it took literally months to get it back from repair, their warranty work and quality control seem to be a tad on the lite side

Taurus,Llama,Bersa,Hi point, all cheap junk. you get what you pay for

I believe that this is mostly hit or miss. I've had 2 llamas and not a single problem with them. Ate any ammo I put through it, and were pretty accurate. I wish I had one of those llamas back. My pt1911 I had was a good gun. Not what I would call top of the line but it was a decent gun and if I got a deal in it I would buy again.

Other people have horror stories about their Taurus guns, bersas, high points, ect, ect. While I do believe in buying quality I wouldn't feel horrible about scratching or dropping a Taurus or llama as much as I would a Dan wesson or nighthawk.

Ive owned at least eight diff. 1911s over the years and have shot many more. The Taurus so far has been the most reliable of any I have personally encountered! The checkering may not be as nice as a 1500.00 dollar gun but it gives you just as good of grip. I am totally happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to buy another. In fact I wish I had the money and time Ive spent on Colts/Kimber/para trying to get them to perform like a out of the box Taurus.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top