JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rules for shooting on Washington State Lands. As per Department of Natural Resources.

Web link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

These are common rules, to us, reasonable and typical of an outdoor sportsman using good common sense.

WAC 332-52-145

Firearms and target shooting.
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.
(a) The department may restrict target shooting for the reasons set forth in WAC 332-52-100.
(b) Persons shall not target shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person, pet, livestock, wildlife or property.
(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.
(2) Does recreational target shooting include hunting? No. This section does not apply to hunting activities, which are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Washington state department of fish and wildlife.
(3) Where is target shooting permitted?
(a) Persons may target shoot in:
(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or
(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.
Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.
(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;
(iii) Businesses;
(iv) Structures;
(v) Other areas as restricted;
(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.
(4) What may be used as a target?
(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.
(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;
(xv) Garbage of any kind.
Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.
(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.
(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.
(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

More information about target shooting on public land:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...h-yacolt-burn-state-forest-washington.213532/

Last Edited:
" Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting"

Shooting into slash piles is illegal. Lots of people still do it but you may get ticketed if caught.

(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs.

I think if your using tannerite you don't much care for the privilige of shooting in my forests and want to and will ruin it for all of us ,that stuff has no place in the forest use it in the desert nothing to catch on fire and there is a lot more of it then forest JMO.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no fire with tannerite.
For the record I have never bought tannerite and never plan on it and don't use it.
Just because someone asks a question does not mean they use it.
It is popular with a lot of people and I'm just curious how it is regulated?

Unless I'm mistaken there is no fire with tannerite.
For the record I have never bought tannerite and never plan on it and don't use it.
Just because someone asks a question does not mean they use it.
It is popular with a lot of people and I'm just curious how it is regulated?
I think it's kind of cool stuff. Wish I had some private property to use it on, then I might try it.

On public land it's a no-no. I, also, have heard there is no fire with tannerite and looking at their factory info, it seems to be just fine (when done right). However, any public land management agency will say it is an explosive and that's not allowed.

Okay by me. But someday, I'd like to blow something up! Any one have some private land they'd like me to destroy? Perhaps, say, in Ridgefield? :D

I think if your using tannerite you don't much care for the privilige of shooting in my forests and want to and will ruin it for all of us ,that stuff has no place in the forest use it in the desert nothing to catch on fire and there is a lot more of it then forest JMO.
<broken link removed>

Will Tannerite® Brand Binary Rifle Targets Cause a Fire?
No. Tannerite® binary rifle targets, when mixed and used correctly per instructions, will not cause a fire. The original Tannerite®brand binary exploding target was specifically designed from conception to be non-incendiary. This means the product was created using materials of the highest quality and properly formulated to ensure that it will not cause a fire.

When a bullet hits Tannerite® with a high velocity (2000 ft./sec. minimum), it causes a chemical reaction which results in a large water vapor cloud along with a loud report which is used as a shot indicator. Please note, however, that there are many knock-off products that can start fires due to an improper formulation and low quality raw materials. Even though Tannerite® brand targets will not start fires, all brands of exploding targets are banned during special fire orders. Please obey these restrictions.

For more information see the lab test results ...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top