JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And you never know when a State Trooper might roll up on your shooting spot and ask whether you're carrying the mandatory fire season gear. It's happened to me a couple times. He will probably also ask about your targets - no bottles, cans or trash, folks!

twd-s7-daryl.jpg

Winter shooting on public land... What extra gear do you take?

I take stuff extra stuff like a propane Mr. Heater (because we can't make camp fires on public land), tire chains, tow rope (for those other ya-hoos that get stuck, because I never get stuck ), jumper cables, shovel, extra sand bags, big 'ol tarp to catch the spent casings (because they are super hard to pick out of the snow, a moving blanket over the table (keeps stuff from sliding around), a thermos of coffee and a good cigar. Oh, I always take my Discover Pass when shooting on WA DNR land.

I never seem to take enough ammo, darn it! (Christmas hint!)

You?

Winter Shoot 1.jpg

Winter Shoot 2.jpg

Great video. Thanks for posting this. As for winter gear, I carry the similar stuff. Had a young guy come in behind me and get stuck in my tracks this day:
g1zSCHS.jpg
He was driving a newer (as in looked brand new to me) Tacoma than mine, but was showing off for his friends. Didn't really want to pull his butt out, but he was blocking the entrance/exit to the quarry.
I was just thinking about the gear I bring with me today for some reason. Basically the whole aluminum tool box in the bed of my taco is full of shooting gear. Front rest, multiple sand bags, different types of targets, spotting scope, range bag, etc. etc... I don't care if the weather is bad, I still go and shoot:
JLPSh8a.jpg
Vr0DVy8.jpg

It seems like the elk hunting is better sometimes when it's real cold out too:
Jkj8zMz.jpg

Cogs, you should join my club in Stevenson, then you wouldn't have to bring all that crap with you when you shoot...:D

Great video. Thanks for posting this. As for winter gear, I carry the similar stuff. Had a young guy come in behind me and get stuck in my tracks this day:
View attachment 530031
He was driving a newer (as in looked brand new to me) Tacoma than mine, but was showing off for his friends. Didn't really want to pull his butt out, but he was blocking the entrance/exit to the quarry.
I was just thinking about the gear I bring with me today for some reason. Basically the whole aluminum tool box in the bed of my taco is full of shooting gear. Front rest, multiple sand bags, different types of targets, spotting scope, range bag, etc. etc... I don't care if the weather is bad, I still go and shoot:
View attachment 530032
View attachment 530033

It seems like the elk hunting is better sometimes when it's real cold out too:
View attachment 530034

Cogs, you should join my club in Stevenson, then you wouldn't have to bring all that crap with you when you shoot...:D
Ha! Very cool! Yeah, I gotta check out Stevenson. Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top