JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
REPEATABILITY:

If your purpose is for a utility gun that can be broken down for portability, and have NO intention of installing a telescopic sight, for most models repeatability is not an issue, since the buckhorn sight is most often (almost exclusively) attached to the barrel, which is a hard-component part of the take-down procedure. These guns can be disassembled, and reassembled with impunity toward accuracy concerns.

HOWEVER: If your purpose is for a .22 that can will carry a telescopic sight, and be relied upon to consistently achieve the same point of impact and accuracy after disassembly, and reassembly, it is my firm belief that the scope IMPERITAVELY needs to be attached to the barrel somehow.

Redfield solved this problem with the Browning autos, with a clever cantilever/bridge mount that allows the scope to remain attached to the barrel when the gun is disassembled. The dovetail mount is attached to the barrel, and has a "fly-over" that extends back over (but is not attached to) the receiver. It looks good and works flawlessly (in large part to the precision of the Browning take-down mechanism, but NOT dependent upon it). The average Browning Auto owner would probably own the gun for his whole life and never realize the minute change in point of impact on the rare occasion that he disassembled his rifle, then reassembled it, with the scope mounted on the factory receiver dovetail. It was the sticklers that knew how accurate these little guns were with their quality barrels, that noticed some (slight but significant to them) deviation in the take-down cycle.

Ruger, with their new 10-22 take-down, claims that a knurled spin nut allows for re-tightening of the take-down mechanism for wear, nearly eliminating the concern that the scope is not actually hard-wired to the barrel. I am skeptical. Videos (from gunshops who want to sell the gun) on YouTube, purporting flawless repeatability are replete with inattention to scientific and impartial testing procedures. I've noticed more than a few of these guns " slightly used" showing up on gunshow tables run by guys who seem to be accuracy fanatics. I think the fly is in the ointment here, supporting my belief that takedown guns are VERY useful and intriguing , but sights to be relied upon need to be attached to the barrel.

I would love to be proven wrong in this simple belief. I also anticipate very soon, somebody producing a "cantilever/flyover" dovetail mount for the Ruger, thus confirming my suspicions.

REPEATABILITY:

If your purpose is for a utility gun that can be broken down for portability, and have NO intention of installing a telescopic sight, for most models repeatability is not an issue, since the buckhorn sight is most often (almost exclusively) attached to the barrel, which is a hard-component part of the take-down procedure. These guns can be disassembled, and reassembled with impunity toward accuracy concerns.

HOWEVER: If your purpose is for a .22 that can will carry a telescopic sight, and be relied upon to consistently achieve the same point of impact and accuracy after disassembly, and reassembly, it is my firm belief that the scope IMPERITAVELY needs to be attached to the barrel somehow.

Redfield solved this problem with the Browning autos, with a clever cantilever/bridge mount that allows the scope to remain attached to the barrel when the gun is disassembled. The dovetail mount is attached to the barrel, and has a "fly-over" that extends back over (but is not attached to) the receiver. It looks good and works flawlessly (in large part to the precision of the Browning take-down mechanism, but NOT dependent upon it). The average Browning Auto owner would probably own the gun for his whole life and never realize the minute change in point of impact on the rare occasion that he disassembled his rifle, then reassembled it, with the scope mounted on the factory receiver dovetail. It was the sticklers that knew how accurate these little guns were with their quality barrels, that noticed some (slight but significant to them) deviation in the take-down cycle.

Ruger, with their new 10-22 take-down, claims that a knurled spin nut allows for re-tightening of the take-down mechanism for wear, nearly eliminating the concern that the scope is not actually hard-wired to the barrel. I am skeptical. Videos (from gunshops who want to sell the gun) on YouTube, purporting flawless repeatability are replete with inattention to scientific and impartial testing procedures. I've noticed more than a few of these guns " slightly used" showing up on gunshow tables run by guys who seem to be accuracy fanatics. I think the fly is in the ointment here, supporting my belief that takedown guns are VERY useful and intriguing , but sights to be relied upon need to be attached to the barrel.

I would love to be proven wrong in this simple belief. I also anticipate very soon, somebody producing a "cantilever/flyover" dovetail mount for the Ruger, thus confirming my suspicions.

That just gave me an idea..... A Ruger 10/22 take-down scout rifle with a built in picatinny rail on the barrel, that would solve the repeatability issue for sure.

A cantilever mount - besides being fragile and too flexible - defeats most of the purpose of the breakdown rifle by adding so much length to the barrel section that the broken-down parts are barely any shorter than any carbine-length .22.

I know what you're saying, and I agree insofar as it goes. But how hard is it to pop off a mag and adjust a couple clicks whenever you reassemble your rifle?

I have 2, the new Ruger and the Winchester 94-22 which may not be considered a true takedown. It beaks down easily with the removal of 1 screw, but one must be careful not to misplace the two- part bolt which slides out. My all time favorite, although no a .22, is my .357 IMI, Timberwolf. It is a thing of beauty to behold and a great shooter.

I have one of the new Ruger Takedown 10-22s and I've done a fair amount of testing for takedown and accuracy. So far with about a thousand rounds fired, I haven't seen a decline in accuracy and haven't had to re-sight. This despite 20+ breakdowns in between. Accuracy has been about 3/4" at 50 yards. Minute of squirrel at 50 yards and minute of rabbit at 100 yds. I don't expect more out of a takedown rifle. If I need better accuracy, I'll carry my T-Bolt.

Oh, this is with a 3x Reddot.

I bought a cheap beat up Papoose years ago for a project and it is awesome! Great shooter, very accurate and reliable. I put an adapter on top so I could use a red dot, as the iron sites seemed to be way off. Fun gun and you will get questions everytime you take it out to shoot.

+1 for papoose, if your lucky enough to find one.

IMG_06671.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg

A cantilever mount - besides being fragile and too flexible - defeats most of the purpose of the breakdown rifle by adding so much length to the barrel section that the broken-down parts are barely any shorter than any carbine-length .22.

I know what you're saying, and I agree insofar as it goes. But how hard is it to pop off a mag and adjust a couple clicks whenever you reassemble your rifle?

Perhaps I utilized cantilever incorrectly (more a description than operational usage of the word here).

If you had ever seen or worked with the Redfield mount for the Browning, your concerns about fragility and extra length would have been more reluctantly presented.

I have the Remington 241 speedmaster. Which is a copied version of the browning iirc.
It shoots really well, quite accurate. It's a little sensitive to the normal 22lr fouling, but even rudimentary cleaning keeps it running.

20121225_140556_zps2474083d.jpg
20121225_140522_zpsda136027.jpg
Since I mentioned that I bought this gun for a project I thought I would share how it came out. The thing is just a blast. Went with sort of a burnt orange duracote for the metal and a textured brown for the stock. The scope looks kind of big on it so I am considering going with a halo sight in the future. One thing to keep in mind if you take on one of these as a project, the trigger guard is plastic, not metal. Found that out when the smoke started to billow out of my oven as I heat treated the duracote. Wife was not amused. Not one of my prouder moments.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top