JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking about getting a take-down 22 rifle for a while now, but I am undecided. I'd like to hear from any of you who own one. What brand/model, semi-auto, bolt, lever, etc... Before you suggest one of the new 10/22 breakdowns, they are not for me, I just don't like them. I would also like to have more than just a single shot as well.

I've been looking at the following guns:

Marlin Pappoose
Browning or cheaper Norinco semi-auto 22
Marlin 39A (kinda expensive though)
Anyone still making a decent take-down in a pump action?

Anything else out there I should be looking at?

I really like the looks of Henry's new AR-7. Henry has a pretty solid reputation with their lever-actions and it's MUSA so that's always nice.

That said, when I did a bit of research around the AR-7 I got lots of mixed reviews, and they mostly leaned towards the negative end. Inaccurate being the main complaint.

Whatever company did the civilian AR-7 before Henry is what gets most of the negative reviews. On the other hand, that's the model with the most after-market parts to fix the problems.

I have three: the Henry AR-7, the stainless/synthetic Marlin 70PSS Papoose, and a 1965-vintage Belgian Browning SA-22. I like them all, but they're all totally different.

At two pounds even, the AR-7 is a backpacker's rifle. Some people complain that it feels "plasticky," but what the heck do you expect? The feed-ramp angle is steep in this design, so sometimes they FTF, but it's not the end of the world. Read up on the forums and you'll discover that a little emery cloth is all it takes to make it feed reliably. I did have a mysterious problem with one mag that I never figured out, so I just ditched it. The rest of the mags work fine, and the rifle has been totally reliable ever since.
But I do have to warn you about AR-7.com; stay away from that site and from Miguel. His parts are simply not as advertised.

The Marlin is my favorite, but at four pounds there's naturally a lot more to it. They aren't as sleek and sexy as 10/22's, of which I own many, but that Papoose just plain works. I got mine threaded at Tornado Tech for my SWR can, too. Still, if you're all about modifying your toys, then you'll be disappointed that you can 't find ten million options for it like a 10/22. But if you don't want to end up with a thousand bucks in your .22, then maybe it's a good thing that you can't get every imaginable Volquartsen Partzen for your Marlin.

My most recent acquisition is the SA-22, which is by far the longest and heaviest of the three, both assembled and broken down. I got it from a member of this forum earlier this year, so I'm not real familiar with it. The deep bluing, the double-diamond checkered walnut - it's a work of art, really, and I'm not planning on knocking around on long trips with it. But it's sure easy to shoot well, so it's the one that I'll reach for when varmints come for my chickens. (it's threaded for a can too, BTW.)

I have no plans to add a breakdown 10/22 to the collection; I see no role for it. I'd kind of like to have another Papoose as a "hot standby," but they're almost impossible to find. That should tell you something about the desirability of the 70PSS. I recently saw an ad for one on this forum asking considerably more than the new price! Thanks, I'll wait.
;)

Years ago A friend had a pair of the browning take down 22s - original not the norinco copy. They were a blast to shoot and ran flawlessly. Great guns, though I couldn't afford one at the time... now you have me thinking I should keep an eye out for one.

Years ago A friend had a pair of the browning take down 22s - original not the norinco copy. They were a blast to shoot and ran flawlessly. Great guns, though I couldn't afford one at the time... now you have me thinking I should keep an eye out for one.
In 1976 SA-22 manufacturing went to Japan. They're good quality, but nothing like the collectibility and pure beauty of the Belgian ones.

I'v got one of the older 80's Marlin Papoose take downs that came with two 30 rounds magazine and two 10 rounders.
Factory soft case has pockets inside it for all 4 mags so I assume they were included when the rifle was new.
Haven't for the life of me been able to find any more hi-cap mags. Guess they quit making them with the Clinton ban.

Rifle shoots well, open sights are accurate. Small scope fits it well and still zips in the case with the scope attached.
A bit short for my 6'1" frame but it's lighter than anything I've ever shot. It's just hard to find replacement mags that hold over 10 rounds for it.
Fun little camp gun for poppin cans and teaching new people to fire a rifle.

Great stuff here, thanks and keep it coming!! I am leaning towards the Marlin 70PSS right now, but maybe I need more than one?

Don't rule out a long barreled 22 pistol or revolver. My 8 3/8" S&W K22 will put six rounds into 1/2" at 25 yards. Plus, it shoots any ammo and never jams.

I have 2 Ruger Mark II's that are deadly accurate, so I am looking for a companion take-down rifle in 22LR.

In 1976 SA-22 manufacturing went to Japan. They're good quality, but nothing like the collectibility and pure beauty of the Belgian ones.

Good to know. My buddy's dad was a gunsmith who passed in 77 from cancer related to "agent orange testing" or so I was told. They were his guns so I am willing to bet that they were pre-Japan ones. I'll have to keep the mfg date in mind if I start looking for one. Thanks for the info.

Good to know. My buddy's dad was a gunsmith who passed in 77 from cancer related to "agent orange testing" or so I was told. They were his guns so I am willing to bet that they were pre-Japan ones. I'll have to keep the mfg date in mind if I start looking for one. Thanks for the info.

Take off the forearm to see the serial number. You can find the guide to manufacture date on line.

I have had one of the Browning take downs for many years. It sweet but you do have to be careful where you put you hand on the forearm. It ejects brass downward and if you have your wrist too close you can get some hot brass on your arm. Nice rifle though.

I also have two of the older takedowns that I have in a collection I am trying to sell for a friend. One is a Remington model 121 pump and the other is a Winchester model 61 pump. Like the older gallery guns of the 1950's. They have become collector rifles and can bring big money theses days. The Winchester is just so well made and strong, they are bringing prices of up to $800 on the GB auction site, the other anywhere from $250 to $500. Pretty amazing.

I have no clue as to the value of the older Browning take downs I will have to check that out.

I love the new Ruger takedown, have shot one recently, cost is about $360. You indicated you did not like that rifle so its not one to consider I guess.

Marlin Pappoose
Browning or cheaper Norinco semi-auto 22
Marlin 39A (kinda expensive though)...
I wouldn't mind another take-down .22LR. The Papoose would be hard to resist.
I probably shouldn't since the 39A already fills that need:

39A.JPG
22.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I will throw another nod out there to the Papoose. I have had an AR7 in the past but just didn't love it. Even though I didn't keep it, it was a reliable rifle. One trick to the AR7 design for reliability is to hold the bolt back a bit when assembling the barrel to the action. This allows the barrel to fully seat in the receiver. The Papoose just feels more solid to me. I do wish there was a more compact way to pack it. Might have to fab something up myself someday in the way of a slimmer pack.

I will throw another nod out there to the Papoose. I have had an AR7 in the past but just didn't love it. Even though I didn't keep it, it was a reliable rifle. One trick to the AR7 design for reliability is to hold the bolt back a bit when assembling the barrel to the action. This allows the barrel to fully seat in the receiver. The Papoose just feels more solid to me. I do wish there was a more compact way to pack it. Might have to fab something up myself someday in the way of a slimmer pack.
Absolutely right - don't use the barrel nut to push the AR-7 bolt back; hold it back with your thumb as you tighten the nut.

My SA-22 is purported to hold 12 .22LR in the tubular mag, but I can only fit 11 in.

I wouldn't discount the 10/22 breakdown on the word of somebody who never fired one (like me). Hickok45 seems to like it anyway:
Ruger 10/22 Takedown Model - YouTube

I've had a few of them.

The AR7 is interesting and back in the 80s they had a number of accessories to reconfigure. I never liked the clunky stock though it was a very stowable package. I don't know about the current offering from Henry (which looks a lot better to me) but the previous mfr's had reliability issues and I didn't find them to be accurate. My Single Six was more compact, lighter and more accurate, not to mention capable of shooting 22 Mags as well.

The Papoose in my opinion is a good lightweight takedown. Impressively accurate, more so than the 10/22's I've owned. It is very diminutive so it takes a while to figure out how to shoot it well. It is also a very reliable feeding, firing and ejecting rifle.

I've owned a number of Marlin 39 variations. My favorite is the CL. I rarely take it down except to feed it but I use it regularly in silhouette matches, Grouse hunting and woods loafing. GREAT gun. Heaviest of the bunch and the most expensive. Beautifully made, accurate, eats any kind of 22 lr, Long or Shorts. They hold their value very well. I had the 39TDS variation (16" barrel) but was offered enough of a ransom for it that I decided to part with it.

004-1.jpg

When Ruger came out with the 10/22 TD I had to have one of those too. I've been impressed by it. More accurate than the previous 10/22's I've owned and very fun to pack around and shoot. My Wife loves it. Mine has been reliable and trouble free. Not super light but it is super handy. Stows well inside of a pack. The BX 25 magazines run great in it. The only downside is the amount of ammo it consumes each time it comes out.

The Papoose would be my vote for a stowable emergency rifle. If you are going to shoot it a lot the Marlin or the Ruger are a better choice.

003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any 10/22 breaks down with an allen wrench.. a lot of guys cut the fore end away and just carry an allen wrench. The addition of a Butler Creek side folder will make it even more compact

There's nothing wrong with the Marlin, Norinco or Browning either but I think Rossi makes one, too

Picked up a used Armalite AR-7 with a camo stock about a week or so ago. It shoots pretty accurate for what it is, but I can't seem to fall in love with it. Maybe I'll sell it or trade it off for some other new toy....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top