Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sweet home area

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by bigwhig, Jun 13, 2011.

1. bigwhig

bigwhig Portland New Member

Does anybody know of any places to shoot in
    The Sweet Home / Cascadia area? Some friends and I are planning a few days camping there and want to find a spot to plink while we are around.

2. wolfwistle

wolfwistle lebanon Member

Well you could go up to Green peter lake (hold the jokes) just take a left right after Foster lake. Lots of camp sights and you could shoot up on Bald peter (again I did not name this) .Have fun.

3. bigwhig

Hehe... Yea, I have been driving that way to Cascadia for 10+ years now and I never fail to chuckle. Same when I drive past Boring or Dufur Oregon.

The legend goes that when weary travelers stop in Dufur the locals always say "What can I du-fur Ya'?" Hence the namesake.

Thanks for the heads up, I see that there is lots of BLM land around there so it shouldn't be too hard to find a nice spot.

4. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Anyplace up in the mountians out of Sweet Home should be ok just be aware of signs

5. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member

Agreed, any place up in the mountains outside of sweet home area.
    Also, Please take out, what you take in, plus a little bit more. And no shooting of glass of any sort. Thank you.

Stay Safe.

6. wolfwistle

wolfwistle lebanon Member

If you go up that way go 27 miles past the last light in sweethome ,nice campsight

7. bigwhig

Up the byway I assume? What would be the last light? Is it a marked campground?

I looove Cascadia, its got everything..waterfalls, hiking, swimming holes, history, petroglyphs and star gazing. Sadly also too many people but still..nice.

8. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

Last street signal is at 18th and hwy 20 (you will see a Les Shwabs and a couple gas stations there) and the last street lamp is just past the scales east of town by the boat ramp...I think. Petroglyphs? I need to go have a look myself :)

9. bigwhig

If you hike past the group camps at Cascadia about a mile they are under a cave like overhang. I wish I remember all the turns to get there (it's a bit tricky to find) and the camp hosts don't usually know about them. They are supposedly some of the oldest on the west coast 5000+ years and completely unprotected so the ranger has told me in the past they don't want a bunch of people to know about them for that reason. It was a travelers map of sorts that the indians used to give directions they say.

Some jerk kids have already added their own "art".

I only finally learned of them a few years back..pretty awesome.

Here's a few pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5928773/1/Petro?h=aa2acc