JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im looking at getting an M&P .40c. I like the compact version, but I do not like how the shield felt in my hand. It just flat out felt too skinny. I wanted to see what some of you guys think of the M&P series or what guns are very comparable and can be found at a good price. I will be getting my CWP very soon and I have a 9mm that has been passed down in my family that I could carry its just older and heavy and wanted to look at other options. I spend a lot of time out in the woods hunting as well so I want something that is usable for both protection in the woods and great to carry.

Thank you for the help.

My first SW was a full size MP40 and I loved it other than I like to ccw. So I sold it for a Shield 40. I would however buy another MP40 if the opportunity came.

I shot a buddies 40 Shield about a week ago, and loved it so much I bought my own yesterday. I've also got a Kahr that I really like, but the trigger on the Smith blows the Kahr away. Also, keep in mind that the skinny feeling Shield will carry so much nicer than a fatter version.

When I first handled the Shield I thought the grip was skinny and kinda "pointy" on the front strap. However, since the first time I shot it I've not noticed that feeling again. It's a great shooting gun.
I had the opportunity to try it out before buying it. If I had just gone on my initial impression, I probably wouldn't have bought it and I would have missed out. What I like about it over many other small, polymer guns is the trigger. It's fairly light and has a very short reset.

I have had the shield, compact and full size in the M&P line. I bought and still have the full size in 9mm. Then I bought the shield in 9mm and thought it was too skinny as well. I tried to like it more and shot the shield around 50-60 rounds. While I liked it, I didnt love it as much as my full size. I ended up trading it for a 40c and love that as much as my full size. I could grip it full in my hand and didnt feel like my hands were too big. Also I like the fact I could use full size magazines and that it had the different back straps. I also didnt have to use a different range holster. I still plan on getting a shield down the road for summer CC but for now I really am good with my 40c.

I've had a few compact M&P pistols (9 and 40). It had a good grip but it was still a little skinny. I had the large strap on and that was great but the part of the girp (front) was not changeable and still felt narrow/thin. I guess one could add an aftermarket sleeve.

Personally a G26/27, the baby Glocks, they feel much better because the grip is fatter and feels much better in my large hands. Other pistols you may consider are the Ruger SR9c, Springfield Armory XD40c, and of course the Glock 27.

I do really like the xdm .40c the 3.8, at this point i think i have narrowed it down to those two guns i just need to get out and shoot them. I don't want to buy a shield without shooting one but before I work on that i would like to get the 40c of some sort. when I held a block they felt very top heavy in my hand and i was not a fan of that, but it may just have been the models at the gun show

I have never been a fan of the compacts as they never fit my hand well and since they are not that much smaller then a full size I didn't like them. If it was summer and I was not dressed to carry a full size I would carry a pocket .380.

I got to handle a Shield this summer when they were the "hot ticket" and I could not figure out the big deal. This was one of the most horrible feeling guns in my hand.

A few years ago when the M&P c series came out I was at a gun shop and the guy said "check this out" and handed me one. I told him that I did not like compact guns as they don't fit me well. Funny thing is that gun never left my hand and it is what I have been carrying about 99% of the time since. I do use the mag with the short extension on it, as the flush fit are too small. I had a choice of 9mm or .40 as they had them both. I choose 9mm as I have never felt under gunned with one. It did not even come down to price or ammo as the guns were the same price and I have plenty of ammo and reloading supplies on hand for both.

Buy an M&P. Then get an Apex Tactical Trigger kit for it and never look back! I've got a full size and the stock trigger was a quite a bit gritty when I first got it. Not sure if the compacts are the same way but I would assume so since they are very similar. I put a few rounds through it and it didn't get any better so I invested another $150 bucks into it and have been very, very happy.

I also bought a Galco King Tuk and use it for my CCW. Yeah, it's a bit big but it works. After the wife graduates college and we go back to having some play money I'll probably invest in a .40c for daily carry use.