JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a serious question. Do people fill every pocket on a 5.11 style tactical/survival vest, and if so, what all goes in there??

I know its kind of the thing for range use nowadays with different styles like the 22+ pocket photographers vests and the 5.11 style vests... but I wonder if its really any better or worse than just using a standard 3 day backpack for day hikes/range usage?

I am designing a vest for minimalist range use but now am wondering if it would be better off as a belt kit format for a specific firearm.. that of a PCC. The design is sort of based on the vn style m79 vest but with way less pockets, 6-10 pockets, 4 which are for magazines and the rest for flat or small items. 2 D rings for things to clip on like ID badge or usgi ear pro cases, or similar things. Not sure I want to include nalgene sized bottle pockets, or size to 20oz skinny bottles.

I've got everything 'cept the kitchen sink in my survival vest, including the drinky thingy on the back. Otherwise I take my backpack which pretty much has the same stuff but also some gloves and socks... it's more of a cold weather thing. For the range I have two range bags and a tool box... 1 bag for handguns, one for ammo, and the toolbox carries tools, lube, and spare parts. On rifle days I add a rifle case or scabbard. So a range vest would not be for me. For IDPA, I use a variety of cover garments but I really don't want anything in the pockets banging around when I make my sweep and draw. :)

My personal and professional opinion, go with the 3 day pack or if in a lighter load take the belt pack...
Well. The vest is designed to be minimalist and also functional. Its not 1000D cordura, or even 500D, it's 330D Cordura, which is danged lightweight material...

In the past, I got frustrated with loose mags and such in a simple bag system with my dad for range use, that I built an Indy style satchel for 8 hi point 20rd mags and 10x 10rd mags, but that satchel had practically no room left for ammo boxes or cleaning kit or tools, just flat pack stuff in between. The range vest idea is to remove the need for a satchel, while allowing use of a hydration pack or 3 day pack for everything else.. but considerations is basically maybe best to split into 2 loads, a 3 day pack plus belt with mag pouches, or chest rig.. but problem with that is that of the "Tacticool Timmy" look.. granted, the vest is in Multicam fabric, but on flip side, it might appeal to some varmint hunters if theres no mag size limits?

Why not try a surplus load bearing vest? They are almost infinitely adjustable and you can add pouches and packs as needed. You can get them on ebay for around 12 bucks. They come in different styles.

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fimage.sportsmansguide.com%2Fadimgs%2Fe%2F6%2F676197_ts.jpg

serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.midwayusa.com%2Fproductimages%2F880x660%2Falt1%2F355%2F355032.jpg

Why not try a surplus load bearing vest? They are almost infinitely adjustable and you can add pouches and packs as needed. You can get them on ebay for around 12 bucks. They come in different styles.

View attachment 435265

View attachment 435266
I have a few. I'm a guy who collects gear and make some. Here's a few examples of rigs I've made or modified. What I am wanting to do is make use of my 330D fabric, and one is to do a minimalist lightweight vest for a PCC/Hi Point carbine, no MOLLE.

20160707_153446.jpg 20170807_172019.jpg 20171025_142813.jpg 20171108_162801.jpg 20171024_213939.jpg 20170526_170231.jpg 20171108_162740.jpg 20171027_104820.jpg 20160904_173621.jpg 20180117_161531.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few. I'm a guy who collects gear and make some. Here's a few examples of rigs I've made or modified. What I am wanting to do is make use of my 330D fabric, and one is to do a minimalist lightweight vest for a PCC/Hi Point carbine, no MOLLE.

View attachment 435277 View attachment 435278 View attachment 435279 View attachment 435280 View attachment 435281 View attachment 435282 View attachment 435283 View attachment 435284 View attachment 435285 View attachment 435286 View attachment 435287
Wow nice!

Theyre made from cotton aren't they? Looking at my dad's example

It sure feels like it. Very soft once you use it and get it wet. Same fabric as their pants.

Its not the same thing, but my molle body armor carrier is very stiff and much more usable. Plus it has the soft body armor and strike plate to give it more rigidity. My vest has a taser, radio, 3 pistol magazine carrier, PPE pouch, and Mk4 OC carrier around the waist, with a phone carrier, admin pouch/light carrier and double handcuff pouch on the chest. Belt has double pistol magazine carrier, handcuff carrier, taser cartridge carrier; pistol holster, key clip and a rubber glove pouch.

All that weighs around 32 pounds and it stays put.

USGI MOLLE equipment usually double layered 500D Cordura type, some aftermarket gear is 1000D, Tactical Tailor have 2nd layer of rubbery fabric on older pouches in addition to 1000D. 330D is closer to the old ALICE 420D nylon packcloth fabric, but uses thicker Cordura yarn. Very little difference in weight between single layer 500D and 330D, but huge difference in feel, 330D is softer than 500D while being more abrasion resistant than packcloth and nylon Oxford fabrics (used on old school hiking backpacks and tents)
I'll see how well it holds up to mags. I might reconsider the vest idea and go for a simple split front quasi shoulder rig minimalist system..

I use a lite fishing chest rig as my Tier 2 carry.

Tier 1 is that I have on my person, in my pockets, on my belt. This is my absolute minimum, basic gear including an SOL Pocket Survival Kit with a few extras, fixed blade knife, my conceal carry weapon.

Tier 2 is an expansion with more gear to compliment my basic gear. I include a First Aid kit, a trauma kit, fire kit, weapon cleaning kit, blade sharpener, water filtering/purifying.

Tier 3 is my bag which again just builds on the idea. It has my tent and sleeping bag, solar charger and redundancies.

The idea is that if I have to shed weight Tier 3 is scarified first leaving me with all my Tier 2 and 1 items.

Also with it being a fishing vest it's more grey man and I use it on hikes and camping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top