Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Surplus 7.62/.308

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by BiggMayn, Jan 13, 2010.

1. BiggMayn

BiggMayn Kenmore, WA Member

I've read in a few threads that guys have had issues with surplus ammo in their PTR-91's. Has anyone had issue's with their AR-10's or LR-308's? I'm in the market for a .308 rifle and don't want to buy something that won't shoot "milspec" ammo.

2. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

I shoot brown bear non laquered steel case in my hk 91 with zero issues. I've also shot the same brand in 5.56 with no issues, so I'm very happy with that brand of russian ammo.
    My .02.

3. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I shoot primarily South African. It works in 2 AR-10s and every G3/HK21/PTR-91/V-51 I've seen.

I did hear from someone with a PTR-91 that they were having jams with Remington Core-Lokt, but I don't know why.

4. SDR

SDR Clackamas County, Oregon Silver Vendor Silver Vendor

Some of the soft point bullets are too long and have a feeding issue...I have experienced that with a few 308 AR units...

5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

PTR 91 should eat everything that is 7.62 NATO but some of the '.308 Winchester' could be a problem.

Do not shoot South African out of your SR25 with a Suppressor. It would be like running kerosene in your Porsche.

SF-

6. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Aside from the analogy, can you explain why?