JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been kicking around the idea of an integrally suppressed guide gun since it would minimize OAL, but it also presents the question of cost. Does anyone have ideas on who to ask about doing the work?

I was reading on the marlin owners forum and saw civillian75 has a custom can from SRT that's 9" long. I am considering the detachable can route, but the total length (37"+ 9") seems unwieldy (I have an old sxs that's 46").

FYI: This is going to be my brush gun that I'll use for hunting larger, thick skinned game.

I have nothing but good things to say about Patrick Murphy out of Vernonia:
Oregon_Research_Labs-LLC
He's an 07-02 Manufacturer, and he does it all right there on the premises. Well, tricky welding he takes to an associate elsewhere....
Of course he's a ways away from you, so maybe it's too inconvenient.

But I'm curious - is the suppressor just to allow you to shoot without wearing ears? All the 45-70 loads I know of are supersonic; it's not like you could make it quiet enough to avoid spooking the game.

The other thing is, how much muzzle blast would that monster make out of a 9" barrel, and is a .45 pistol can up to the task? Wouldn't it be as bad as firing a .223 through a .22 can?

Thank you! I really appreciate the reply and direction. Convenience in matters like this is not a priority, I'd rather have done once and done right by a reputable shop, even if they're 100 miles away. I'll give ORL a call after the New Year.

I'm not too worried about spooking the game, I need some hot loads if I decide to go bear hunting back home. I'm mainly trying to preserve my hearing as much as I can. Plus 405gr and 500gr can be loaded subsonic and still pack a wallop for smaller stuff. I'm starting to think that it'd give up too much velocity doing an integral....

That's a very good point. I know a .45 pistol is not up to the task for supersonic rounds (at least not my osprey), I could see it being used for subsonic. Worst case, I scrap this idea and start working on a .358 win or .450 marlin AR SBR *pending I can find a lower.*

I'd sure like to hear what Mr. Murphy has to say about custom-building you an integral can for your .45-70, because that might be what it takes to get one tough enough to survive that monster load. Like I said, he's licensed to manufacture, and you know you can get a tax stamp on any suppressor - even a potato - if you're willing to pay $200 and wait six months. An integral design could keep you out of SBR territory if the overall length of barrel + non-removeable can was over 16".

PS: 500 grains for "smaller stuff??" Yikes.

I'm interested in the energy loss with the reduced velocity. How large and thick skinned are we talking here? Does it have claws? Let us know what you decide, with absolutely no use for one I have always been drawn to big bore guide rifles. Good luck with your project!