JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tell me this is a stupid idea, or not, before I go and get the stuff and sew it up...
1) 2" webbing, heavy duty type (same specs as seatbelt webbing)
2) 2" Ancra flat hook; 10,000 lb break limit, 3,330 lb work limit
3) 2" buckle for quick release
4) 2" steel rectangle loops

Idea; sew up the 2" webbing in such a way, that there are two 1" loops for cross straps (USGI cam lock system), mount to the spare tire carrier with the Ancra flat hook sewn to the main body of the webbing, and 2" loop to ensure that the hook does not go farther than the top of the tubing. Buckle on the back of the body for quick release when not needed.

Basically, for Blitz steel cans with the lip on the bottom, the hook holds it up, and the cross straps holds the can to the body of the webbing, which would be looped around the top and bottom tubing of the spare tire carrier. I realize that it may not be easy to secure it with a lock of some type, but I am thinking it has got to be easier to do than to try and find all the metal hardware and spend as much money on it :rolleyes: Unless someone has a spare jerry can bracket they could let go for $20?

doh posted my amazon acct :)

Not $20, but close

snearch gas can mount on amazon detemple is the brand
D1911807-F3D9-4193-8D66-D5F0B83A8F0B.png

Rough color coded diagram of how it should be set up, without the 2 cross straps that would do the primary duty of retaining the gas can to the strap assembly. Again, I'm not sure if it's a good idea because of the flexibility of the system, meaning it might be prone to excess movement, unless I figure a way to tie it to the two vertical bars without needing excess strap lengths. DSCF1781.JPG

@Unka-Boo; the only problem with that is what would I attach that to? I don't think there's enough space to mount the can conventionally (long side against the frame), and I'm thinking of mounting it so that the long side is facing the tire, sort of like this
4721594515_09f55c7c15_b-119701.jpg

What I have to work with, at least until I get a cargo hitch carrier :rolleyes:

20160813_124220.jpg
From my eyeballing, it seems the gas can would cover most of that space if I mount it conventionally (long side against the frame), and thus might be a problem with covering the Left taillight. If I could get someone to move the spare tire mount 6 inches over to the Right; it would make it much easier :confused:

Clever concept, but I wouldn't rely on the bottom lip of the can for support. It doesn't look substantial enough and could (enventually) deform over time and possibly even develop a leak at the bottom seam.
The original Blitz can mount is a similar concept but in steel with a lockable bracket on top that goes on the handle, that was one of the ideas except again the space I have to work with, would require an L shaped bracket to the tubing in order to rotate the can to provide clearance for taillight. Good point on possible failure aspect.

I have used the good old fashion Jeep can and carrier since High school with no problems. Their are locking straps that work with the Metal carriers.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61G45Hr7YaL._SL1000_.jpg

pretty sure you can find one cheaper
Same problem, if I want attach like the Jeep Wrangler pic above, to the tubing, I'd need another bracket or 2 to rotate can 90 degeees.
I wouldn't be futzing with strapping a gas can or carrier on...bolt on carrier, plus straps-sure.

No carrier? No go.
hmm. Specs of the 2" webbing is 6,000lb breaking strength... that just seems burly enough to handle 50 pounds of fuel? And technically the J hook is the metal carrier... but yeah Stomper brings up a good possible failure point with the lip.
Ya see, I'm trying to avoid spending enough money either in custom bracketry or mounts that it would end up being cheaper to just get an ATV hitch cargo carrier ($40 or so):rolleyes:

I mean metal carrier brackets plus custom L bracket and hardware to tubing or custom gas can mount from shop and hardware.. or just a hitch carrier.. which was why I asked if stupid idea to do the strap and hook concept. :) I couldn't find anything like the metal gas carriers at either Cherry City Metals or Burcham's Metals. Lots of flat pieces that could be made into brackets if I have the tools but...

OK Opinion time as a life long Jeep guy.

The very best safest way to carry extra fuel on the outside of a vehicle is in a NATO gas can and the matching mount/holder thingy.

Red 5.3 Gallon Fuel Can

and

5 Gallon Jerry Can Mounting System

Bolted solidly to either a Tire swing or other supported part of the vehicle (not the sheet metal of a back hatch or door unless substantial bracing and load carrying ability has been added to the structure.

I'm currently building the Tire/fuel can/pioneer tool rack and mounts for my 48 Willys CJ-2A I have been building for the last decade and a half. After looking at it a mechanical engineer on one of the Willys forums told me the jeep could be picked up by it and shook around and the body would come apart before the mounts or the rack did, I'm planning on it having to carry 150 lbs.

OK Opinion time as a life long Jeep guy.

5 Gallon Jerry Can Mounting System

Bolted solidly to either a Tire swing or other supported part of the vehicle (not the sheet metal of a back hatch or door)
Right, you did note that where I want to mount the bracket or holder, is on the tube steel tire swing frame? The only problem is that of clearance for taillight to be visible.

Again like I've said before, if I have a sheet metal brake, I would attempt to fabricate a bracket/holder similar to this; ace-jerry-can-holder-side-close.jpg
Cannot justify $80 for the ace holder, nor 30-+ for custom fabrication work plus cost of brackets, not when $40-60 can get me a hitch mounted cargo carrier that can carry more :confused: and can carry the jerry can

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top