JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was considering looking around for one but was wondering if it would handle hand loads in the 900fps range? It's a smaller frame gun but I believe they're a five shot cylinder so there should be some strength gained there?

Any thoughts?

It's not a question if the gun can handle standard .44 Special loads. It can, and almost any weight bullet at 900fps in a conventional barrel length (they will be a little slower out of the short barrel) will easily be a standard .44 special loads. 200gr bullets can do 1100 fps within the envelope of .44 special.

The question is can DO you, have the strength? These fly-weight guns are just painful to shoot, period - whether for a newbie or an expert. If it's only a gun for carrying hidden away and using in a true emergency, then the light weight might be worth it. But if you want it for plinking or taking to the range occasionally, there are better .44 specials out there.

The frame on the 386 is smaller than an N-frame, you are correct, but it is not a small framed gun. It's a medium/large frame gun between the medium K and the large frame N. the L-frame was designed in the late 1970s to maximize strength and reliability for extended use of six rounds of the .357 magnum with the existing grades of stainless and carbon steel at the time. Since then, metallurgy has advance and you can squeeze more out of the frame, such as a light-weight alloy .44 five-shot, or the seven-shot .357.

They did make a steel version of this gun, the 696. It has substantially better recoil characteristics, but is also rare and pricey. In this class of gun, I favor the mid-size .357 magnums. They are more common, less expensive, and off the same lethality along with a wider, cheaper ammo selection.

That's what I get for posting when I'm tired. I didn't really mean small, should have said smaller and I'd like to use bullets in the 270gr range at that speed. I like the idea of an alloy framed gun for hiking/biking but don't really need anything in the magnum range, if I do, I have a 629 for that. I carry my 629 on hikes and when I go fishing already, I have a really nice tanker style rig that carries it well but I've developed some back issues and would like to trim the fat a bit(goes for me too).

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the cylinder is long enough for heavier bullet loads?

What "tanker" type rig do you use for the 629? Who makes it? I'm trying to figure out what my choices are for hiking and I was leaning towards the one that El Paso Saddlery makes...

<broken link removed>

I had also found these two potential options:

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

It's a local guy here in Washington. He makes saddles as his day job and shows up at the Puyallup gun show. It's really nice stuff and made of really heavy leather and nice fasteners. He doesn't have a website but I have his business card and could take a couple of pics if that would help. I'm planning on having him make one for my Glock 20 also. What I really liked about it was the ability to easily move it from my chest or side to my back to get it out of the way when bending over for camp chores or while fishing.

I also like the tanker style holster, and I carry my 629 in an El Paso one. It is a great holster. I got another one after this made for a Government Model.

Those ones linked above are more a modern "Doc Holliday" holster. El paso makes one like that, too. They do have an advantage over the Tanker in that you don't have to get at a belt loop/belt to secure it; it can go over a coat more easily in cooler weather. But on the other hand those cross-torso belly belts can be irritating in my book. Both have pros/cons.

I know the guy you are talking of BMW2. His things are indeed well made.

IMGP5381.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top